Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

10 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Sorry to say, and as much as Howe has done a job that went beyond any sort of wild expectations, he’s still making massive mistakes right now which are costing us.

We have no one at LB because in 6 months he hasn’t bothered to ease Hall into the team. So now we have Burn playing against the likes of Salah, and Mbappe, when he struggles with anyone with any sort of pace.

We have Schar going upfront and leaving gaps, which has cost us so many games this season and he obviously hasn’t been told to stop it.

We have Trippier who is fucked, absolutely fucked when we have Livramento who’s performing well in that position who can cover him for a few games.

some of the games have been awful. Look at Luton, and Forest. Simple passing and doing the simple things is enough to beat those teams. We aren’t doing that, no simple passing, nothing, literally passing to opposition players, or running into them instead of making the simple available passes. It’s more than just fatigue, and you can see right from KO if we are going to win the game. It’s not even like we can start slowly and come into games, we start slowly, that’s it.

I’ve always feared that Howe is defensively naïve, and he’s showing that again.

If we are going to write off this January because of the fixtures, then he has to win the derby, has too. Under Ashley it was another game, and so long as we had enough points at the end of the season, the manager could get away with that. I don’t think our owners, or are fans are going to accept it. This season is fast running away from us, and if we lose that as well, it’s a complete and utter waste of a season, and would go nowhere towards building for the future.

So by "massive mistakes" we mean rotating the full backs?

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

Were they though? Milan, Brighton, Bournemouth, Wolves (until Neto went off), Dortmund were all very poor performances before the injury crisis really kicked in. Can only remember us playing well against Shef Utd (obviously) and we were "okay" against West Ham who mainly sat back. 

We've set up differently on the road to how we do at home all season - we're much deeper, more passive, the full backs don't push on, the striker is isolated, there is no intensity etc. Could just be a mentality thing since we don't have the crowd behind us I guess, but I think it's at least partially instructional. 

Sorry I need to step in because this is anti-factual dribble. Bournemouth was our worst injury hit game, Dortmund we had loads out both legs. Milan was a good point for a team most of whose players have never played at that level in that kind of atmosphere. Brighton away was poor and wolves away was disappointing but they played well!

Was a bit shocked to hear that Howe has lost 12 in a row to Klopp now, but on reflection you have to look at the teams he's managed. Bournemouth, Burnley and now us. I don't think we should reasonably expect much different from the team we are currently able to field.

For those that are frustrated or are wanting a change - what would you have done different/who do you want in? Genuinely curious by the way.

Edited by Menace

I hate losing to the inbreds from down the road, but I hope there isn’t a massive overreaction from the support if we lose again at the weekend.

The performances of late have been poor, and there are some mitigating circumstances, but I don’t doubt that Howe will be aware of that more than anyone.

Even allowing for the opposition that was a mess and more angering than any of the others for me because of it.  More the performance than result which sometimes is just one of those things.

For the first time he is under pressure now, Not from me, but the combination of losing to the mackems enraging/further enraging a good chunk of our fanbase, the basic parameter of recent results and the proclivity of the ownership to listen to fans.

If there was a clear alternative it wouldn't surprise me if they took it.

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

"We weren't that bad" [emoji38][emoji38]

We were absolutely fucking atrocious for the entire 90.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: no we weren't. 

Just now, Menace said:

For those that are frustrated or are wanting a change - what would you have done different/who do you want him? Genuinely curious by the way.

I back Eddie 100% but one thing that continues to frustrate is Burn at LB for starters.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Because it’s like saying we would miss Ritchie or Dummett if they weren’t available.

Both of whom have been called on to play this season.  At the very least he could have played cup games to give other players a rest

6 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

The Jota penalty was horrific, can't remember the last time a long ball just dissected our CBs like a knife through butter.

We had 3 centre backs on as well.

8 minutes ago, madras said:

We knew we had a small squad and we are being punished for it. That squad will grow in quality and numbers. If we play as we are when players come back then people are justified in squawking.

No, I think there is some reasonable criticism for the lack of shape and some brain dead play tbh.  Talking about Howe as a ‘dead man walking’ is cobblers, though. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

They put a graphic up before the game of the games we'd lost and went through the number of marginal moments that resulted in defeat - it has knocked our confidence - but for marginal moments we're in the semis of the LC and CL knockouts. Even today we hung in there under immense pressure. Almost feel like I watched a different game from some - they hammered us all game, we're nervy and tired but we were fucking resolute.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I hate losing to the inbreds from down the road, but I hope there isn’t a massive overreaction from the support if we lose again at the weekend.

Define overreaction. People are questioning Eddie in the same way they would anyone who has lost 7 of 8. Despite the injury related circumstances and fatigue he’s making a lot of missteps. Beating the mackems buys him a lot more time and a hell of a lot of breathing space. If he loaes, it’ll be claustrophobic and hopefully journalists ask him some more probing questions.

People on here are ridiculous. We have lost away to the team who are top of the league and who have lost once all season.  Anyone suggesting Howe should go needs to get to fuck

4 minutes ago, Menace said:

For those that are frustrated or are wanting a change - what would you have done different/who do you want him? Genuinely curious by the way.

(1) made a proper attempt to keep our players fit and fresh. Use the entire squad just for that purpose. Even if it meant playing Matt Ritchie and co. two or three games straight to give key players much needed rest. 
(2) change the midfield balance so we aren’t so easy to play through. Whether that’s having someone sit or playing a midfield 4 with 2 sitters. 
(3) make proactive changes. If we’ve played poorly for 50 minutes straight - change something. Anything. Don’t wait for the opposition to score 

Edited by The College Dropout

18 minutes ago, dcmk said:

No one expected a result against Liverpool before the game. Everyone expected a comfortable loss.

But suddenly in the aftermath it's not good enough. Can't make it up.

It’s not just the one game is it though? It’s our form.

Just now, LiquidAK said:

They put a graphic up before the game of the games we'd lost and went through the number of marginal moments that resulted in defeat - it has knocked our confidence - but for marginal moments we're in the semis of the LC and CL knockouts. Even today we hung in there under immense pressure. Almost feel like I watched a different game from some - they hammered us all game, we're nervy and tired but we were fucking resolute.

I don’t think we were resolute mind - that back line was as porous as it has been against other similar sides.  Poor finishing and good goalkeeping stopped that being embarrassing. 

2 minutes ago, Shak said:

It's not really fair after what he's done for us but I do think he's going to come under pressure if we lose and look shite on Saturday.

We can sit here and be reasonable all we want but a huge section of the fanbase is not going to take a loss to Sunderland well at all and the grumbling we're hearing now is going to morph into quite a few people turning on him and making the next few months less than comfortable.

A huge part of the last two years has been the really positive vibe Howe has built around the club. Players seem like a great group of lads, we've been good to watch and competitive in every game... results have been good.

This feels like the first time that's really started to turn a bit. We've lost 5 of our last 6 games and we've played like absolute shite in all of them. Yeah, there are mitigating circumstances. But they don't excuse just how bad the last month has been.

It was always going to happen eventually, Howe's first mini crisis. Players don't look happy, fans are starting to grumble. The injury crisis seems to be getting worse rather than better.

Desperately need a win on Saturday, I still think Eddie can manage this team to the top but the margins are fine and he needs to arrest this slide. Fast.

I absolutely will not call for Eddie to be sacked even if we lose the next 3, but if that happens unfortunately I don’t think he has any long term future here. In my opinion he’s earned the remainder of this season. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The scoreline was completely skewed by our two goals which came from nothing. If we'd lost by 5 or 6 nobody would have blinked. We were nothing less than a disgrace tonight.

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

Define overreaction. People are questioning Eddie in the same way they would anyone who has lost 7 of 8. Despite the injury related circumstances and fatigue he’s making a lot of missteps. Beating the mackems buys him a lot more time and a hell of a lot of breathing space. If he loaes, it’ll be claustrophobic and hopefully journalists ask him some more probing questions.

Overreaction would be calling for his sacking.  I’m ok with criticism of the manager. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, I think there is some reasonable criticism for the lack of shape and some brain dead play tbh.  Talking about Howe as a ‘dead man walking’ is cobblers, though. 

Do you think that happens tonight with fit players ? 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I don’t think we were resolute mind - that back line was as porous as it has been against other similar sides.  Poor finishing and good goalkeeping stopped that being embarrassing. 

Respectfully disagree.

10 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

I still fully support Eddie Howe.

There are a limited number of mentalists who think he should go. The majority of the critical side still think he's the man to turn it around but are getting worried. I understand that position and respect it.

There are a limited number of that side who also seem to be losing their fucking shit every time they get disagreed with, acting like they're being silenced. You're not being silenced, you've posted an opinion in a public forum, and other members of that forum have told you you're wrong. Argue back, don't start crying about not being allowed to criticise.

It's taken to get to 7 losses out of 8 for some to accept Howe can be criticised. It's too late now. Signs were there and we're now fully in the soup. That's what some have issue with. They've been fully dismissed and are still being called mental for being right to have had concerns. I couldn't even say going into the Xmas period this was a 'test' without being jumped on. A fucking test. Turned into a lot more than that, didnt it?

I've never changed my tune. A loss to sunderland is unacceptable. Everything else before and after I couldn't care less. Happy to write this season off and learn lessons across the board. He needs to be willing to learn though, and nothing I've seen in the last month screams flexibility, tactical knowledge, squad management or innovation. It's like another manager is inside of him. All of what we've loved about him has gone on vacation. He's even digging out players. Wtf? This is not him. I don't know what else to say really. Unfortunately you can't rest a manager. 

17 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Sorry to say, and as much as Howe has done a job that went beyond any sort of wild expectations, he’s still making massive mistakes right now which are costing us.

We have no one at LB because in 6 months he hasn’t bothered to ease Hall into the team. So now we have Burn playing against the likes of Salah, and Mbappe, when he struggles with anyone with any sort of pace.

We have Schar going upfront and leaving gaps, which has cost us so many games this season and he obviously hasn’t been told to stop it.

We have Trippier who is fucked, absolutely fucked when we have Livramento who’s performing well in that position who can cover him for a few games.

some of the games have been awful. Look at Luton, and Forest. Simple passing and doing the simple things is enough to beat those teams. We aren’t doing that, no simple passing, nothing, literally passing to opposition players, or running into them instead of making the simple available passes. It’s more than just fatigue, and you can see right from KO if we are going to win the game. It’s not even like we can start slowly and come into games, we start slowly, that’s it.

I’ve always feared that Howe is defensively naïve, and he’s showing that again.

If we are going to write off this January because of the fixtures, then he has to win the derby, has too. Under Ashley it was another game, and so long as we had enough points at the end of the season, the manager could get away with that. I don’t think our owners, or are fans are going to accept it. This season is fast running away from us, and if we lose that as well, it’s a complete and utter waste of a season, and would go nowhere towards building for the future.

What are all the games Schar has supposedly cost us this season?