Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

11 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Wouldn't have a problem with that if it meant Gordon could get a rest.

It would just be common sense to give the absolute knackered players a rest, even if the quality drops.

Hall, Dummett, Ritchie, Krafth should all have played a decent amount of football over the last month, but they've hardly had a kick.

Playing the same knackered players every game has done us no good at al, quite the opposite in fact when you look at performances and results.

Aye. 

All of these have been given contract extensions or signed since the takeover. If they’re not going to play during an injury crisis and fixture congestion - why are they here?

Just now, Wandy said:

That performance was utter rubbish. There were no redeeming features and nothing to take encouragement from.

The manager is doing a really poor job right now.

I don't want the manager to be sacked. Not now, not next week & not at any point in this season. Even if we lose again on Saturda in the derby.

Does that clarify things for you?

Mitigating circumstances?

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I sort of tongue in cheek said this before like, that in hindsight his best option was to throw a match or two (which absolutely would not be accepted by the "he MUST do better" crowd :lol:).

Honestly struggling see what other options there were, changing one or two players is negligible as something I haven't seen talked about much is that we've likely had to dial everything back, from application in training to our pressing on field to avoid further injuries.

Trippiers individual errors cost us a few games, but it's a stretch to put that down as a major mark on Howe given how much he gives us on the ball, even during times like this.

This is exactly it. Line ups are announced and there are posts (rightly) saying 'that bench :anguish:', he brings on Ritchie and the summer recruitment is criticised, he doesn’t bring someone on and he's running players into the ground.

As far as I can see those are his options, and someone is going to criticise whichever one he opts for. But all of it does everything to ignore the context in which he's having to make these decisions. I don't get it, is it weak or loser-ish to blame injuries and fatigue even when it's this obvious? Starting to wonder whether Pardew conditioned us all to see every excuse as bullshit.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

That performance was utter rubbish. There were no redeeming features and nothing to take encouragement from.

I don't want the manager to be sacked. Not now, not next week & not at any point in this season. Even if we lose again on Saturday in the derby.

Martin Dubravka dislikes this.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

Anyone who is seriously thinking he no good is deluded. Have you seen what he’s working with?  Almiron? Waste of space. Longstaff?  Will end up at Gateshead.  This is one hellof a journey and at the minute he can only piss with the cock he has got. Patience is the key. 

Almiron and Longstaff were part of a team that got us top 4, a cup final and a Tonkin of PSG.

if you can’t criticise Howe then you can’t criticise the players either. You could even flip it and argue that the players have made a fairly rudimentary playing style (all intensity and pressing) successful.

youd be wrong on both counts of course, plaudits are right for the past but questions are right for the future

All this remember us under bruce stuff doesn't wash with me. Howe has been brilliant but he's been worryingly naive this year he's had all the praise for the job he's done so far but surely anyone can see we are flagging badly and he's stubborn with his ways basically going into games without a bench is what I feel he is doing and it's not helping our plight. I think a bit of criticism is valid. 

I thought Klopp's interview was quite informative. I know he spends most of his time being a complete arsehole, but he defended Darwin Nunez misses on that despite that he split Botman an Schar with his movement. I thought their movement all over the pitch gave us problems all night, not to mention better control and use of the ball when they got it.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

I don't want the manager to be sacked. Not now, not next week & not at any point in this season. Even if we lose again on Saturday in the derby.

Not really. I mean, I do disagree with your view (particularly re the manager) but I wouldn't have called you entitled if you'd only said the above. It was the use of the word 'disgrace', which I equate to you going on like you're owed something, which provoked me saying that. 

Absolutely right to call out the penalty decisions. Another game that's slipped by us despite a hearty showing.

Had we beaten the likes of Bournemouth et al then we'd be looking at this game a lot different in my opinion. The chips are down and we're lacking confidence and belief. Mentality is the new issue and not just a thinned out squad.

I feel we'll be fine, we just need to attack next weekend with all our might and resuscitate our season.

You've got this Eddie. You. Have. Got. This.

1 minute ago, RS said:

Anyone who is seriously thinking he no good is deluded. Have you seen what he’s working with?  Almiron? Waste of space. Longstaff?  Will end up at Gateshead.  This is one hellof a journey and at the minute he can only piss with the cock he has got. Patience is the key. 

:thup: Some of the natural levels of these players are being exposed. I think the question some of us have is, is the natural level of the manager being exposed?

Almiron for example. How can we say he had a purple patch and is now pretty poor without applying the same logic to Eddie?

The only way to find out is if we stick with him and see how he does in the medium term.

Why are people persisting with the 'you can't criticise Howe' line? You clearly can, the thread is full of criticism after every loss :lol:

6 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

The not training has only been in December. Villa are playing part-timers and not Mbappe. Howe's "decisions" have been limited due to the freak injuries, which have meant he can't rotate. Can see the argument to just go with the young players anyway, he obviously has his reasons for not doing that, but can see your point.

Not good enough at this level is a silly statement. He's had his hands tied behind his back and some started getting antsy at a point where things were really just not that bad. Until the recent poor run in December we were right behind Man City - the poor run in December has come about due to the sheer number of games and not being able to train, and having no squad rotation possible.

Expectations have gotten out of control. January will be a nightmare due to the fixtures we've got, but judging him on this season so far is just wrong given the actual context. Give him a chance with an actual squad in the second half of the season - I'm confident we'll start climbing the table again.

Comparing him to Pardew is honestly not worth discussing - most people could see he was bailed out by great players and it wouldn't be sustainable, this is just not the same in any way.

I know you feel strongly about this and feel like you're being shut down, I feel equally as strongly that you're way off of the mark and have tried to go through each of your points respectfully. 

I'm going to bed :lol:

You can’t say he could have played youth and then say he’s had his hands tied. He hasn’t - he’s just chosen this path. 

He knew we would have 11 games in 35 games. Has it been good management for Bruno G to play damn near every minute of it? IMO it’s a massive blunder. It was always going to end with our star man putting in substandard performances.  Ditto for most of the lads. 

5 minutes ago, andycap said:

All this remember us under bruce stuff doesn't wash with me. Howe has been brilliant but he's been worryingly naive this year he's had all the praise for the job he's done so far but surely anyone can see we are flagging badly and he's stubborn with his ways basically going into games without a bench is what I feel he is doing and it's not helping our plight. I think a bit of criticism is valid. 

He's starting a 17 year old who until a couple of months ago no one knew anything about. Has Miley really got taken for granted that quickly that we've forgotten he was about 6th choice with everyone fit? 

Edited by Kid Icarus

The fact we are even discussing the possibility of starting the likes of Ritchie and Dummet who would both struggle to get minutes in the Championship shows you the extent to which his hands are tied at the minute. 

I get maybe you just sacrifice some positions/games by starting them but any options he's got are shit. Different options might be slightly less shit than the others but there's not really a great deal between them. 

Just need to address this in the January and upcoming summer window. The fact he got this squad as high as he did is remarkable but it's clear now we need to strengthen. 

2 minutes ago, RS said:

Patience is the key. 

I've accepted this season is going awry and we just need to keep ourselves in and around top 10.

EH has my patience to have a poor season, he needs the time to work through the shit times/unlucky breaks.

Obviously I'd be happier if the performances weren't so off but thems the breaks. Sure lfc fans were wounded last season with how off they were, but you've just got to bunker down and pray EH and the team can work through it.

1 minute ago, andycap said:

Totally agree.  It doesn’t work with me either.

And I don’t remember the ‘remember where we were with Ossie’ stuff when KK’s side had a bad run, or ‘remember where we were with Gullit’ under Robson (who’s sides had some really bad batches of form).

Howe is a far, far better manager than Bruce, and has got things out of players they both had that Bruce couldn’t dream of.  Howe has also been massively backed to the tune of almost half a billion over four windows, and isn’t managing at a club with a poisonous atmosphere with a hated ownership which sends him into every presser to be its mouthpiece.

It’s a very, very different club today. 

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Absolutely right to call out the penalty decisions. Another game that's slipped by us despite a hearty showing.

Had we beaten the likes of Bournemouth et al then we'd be looking at this game a lot different in my opinion. The chips are down and we're lacking confidence and belief. Mentality is the new issue and not just a thinned out squad.

I feel we'll be fine, we just need to attack next weekend with all our might and resuscitate our season.

You've got this Eddie. You. Have. Got. This.

I hope so lad

Just now, Jaqen said:

Why are people persisting with the 'you can't criticise Howe' line? You clearly can, the thread is full of criticism after every loss :lol:

Cancel culture innit.

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

IMG_5814.thumb.jpeg.ebea39416c61ea1af28419d2eb1b9d4f.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Dead man walking, team has the familiar feel of a Bruce/McClaren side.

@Ronaldo here's another two from today if you want. Thought the first might be joking and then saw all his other posts this month. You could argue the latter isn't explicitly calling for his head but I think that's a pretty generous take. These takes are out there, but thankfully aren't that widespread.

Just now, Jaqen said:

I can only speak for myself but I will happily accept criticisms of Howe if people can provide valid alternatives as to what could have been done at the same times and with the same resources as at that time.

So far, a lot of what I am reading (albeit on WA and X) is hypothetical bullshit and folk just saying things are shit.

What's the fucking point in that?