Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Not having Jow is fucking us on that front. Even though teams would play through us, he’d lung bust back and snatch it most of the time. Miggy can do a similar snatch job.

Theres one issue, which is being played through in the first place. The second issue is not having the pace and power to win it back when we do get played through 

5 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

I'll part my arse cheeks and pucker my cacky winker against Fenwick's window if we beat Villa.

Quoted for posterity. 

Whether it's the 3 personnel or the way the midfield is being told to play, whatever it is, it's just not working. We definitely lack pace and physicality with the 3 that played last night. To be honest though, unless we sign someone in the nex 5 days, there's not much else we can do.

17 minutes ago, RS said:

He needs to stop allowing the opposition to run through the middle unchallenged. It’s our Achilles heel at present. Any team that just runs at us seems to inevitably create a chance. 

This is more to do with our midfielders being caught too high IMO. We have the same issue (in reverse) with our build-up play at the moment. We're clearly under instructions to build from the back but with the current midfield trio none of them gets into deep positions to pick up the ball, and when Bruno does Longstaff is often in the wrong position (and not good enough on the ball to be considered a safe option to progress the ball up the pitch) and Miley is seemingly still not trusted whilst he often finds himself in good positions.

To me we're looking more and more like a result of the piss poor luck we've had with injuries, gambling, tough fixtures and not enought rest time to build. The structure is a bit off as it has been away from home most off the season and the confidence is low after this run. Let's just get Villa out of the way and avoid a blow out. Then we can look forward to a couple of easier games as well as maybe some more players back. Mid- to long term we'll be absolutely fine, it's frustrating as fuck though. 

11 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Whether it's the 3 personnel or the way the midfield is being told to play, whatever it is, it's just not working. We definitely lack pace and physicality with the 3 that played last night. To be honest though, unless we sign someone in the nex 5 days, there's not much else we can do.

We're clearly trying to play with a flat midfield three. When everyone is on their game, energy levels high and confidence rocketing this is fine. When one or more of these things are lacking we'll suffer from it. To me it looks like we're trying to counter that by sitting a bit deeper - to our detriment in my opinion. But with the options we have we can't really do much. Had we had a DM Howe would surely have rotated and changed things up but none of the three current options have the positional reliability to do this well. And of course we miss our shiny 60 million Italian, Willock and Big Joe. Hell, I'd wager that Anderson would've been awesome to have the last few months as well.

Just to highlight how bad things have been, this is basically our 2 XIs, with the players in bold having had decent spells out off the top of my head (with many of them coming at the same time).

Joelinton Isak Gordon

Willock Bruno Tonali

Burn Botman Schar Trippier

Pope

Barnes Wilson Almiron

Anderson Longstaff Miley

Targett Krafth Lascelles Livramento

Dubravka

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Something that's really important to me is that the managers post game message fits with what I saw.

After years of Bruce, Pardew and Souness doing everything from lying, blaming fans, blaming players... its so nice seeing a manager be honest about a performance.

He knows we aren't playing well. It's going to take a bit of time for confidence to regrow.

1 hour ago, STM said:

Something that's really important to me is that the managers post game message fits with what I saw.

After years of Bruce, Pardew and Souness doing everything from lying, blaming fans, blaming players... its so nice seeing a manager be honest about a performance.

He knows we aren't playing well. It's going to take a bit of time for confidence to regrow.

Great post and something you forget can be so infuriating after sitting through an horrendous performance, only hear 'we wuz unlucky'.

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Really enjoyed that. I know he gets pelters, but I’m warming to Sir Les’s young cousin. He’s definitely got a soft spot for us now. 

Of course he has a soft spot now that he can't ridicule us with ease while constantly rusty tromboning our former owner who was conveniently a direct source of income for him.

He can get fucked.

Rio's a prick, stuck the boot in when we were at our lowest ebb. According to him, fine for Ashley to spend nowt and let our club crumble slowly, and we should be grateful for it, but soon as the Glazers do it he pisses his pants and says it's a scandal. He can go fuck himself.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I always loved that he never recused himself from the Ashley conversation, despite having an obvious conflict of interest re business connections.

As if anyone in football analysis does that. They’re all mates with and employees of various people and companies involved in the industry.

Look at how Steve Bruce got the mates treatment from Shearer despite being absolutely useless in every way. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

As if anyone in football analysis does that. They’re all mates with and employees of various people and companies involved in the industry.

Look at how Steve Bruce got the mates treatment from Shearer despite being absolutely useless in every way. 

:) 

Of course, and I was partially tongue-in-cheek, though I was partially serious too.  The punditry brigade don’t half like to go on about ethics within the game - ‘[player X] should be doing this, or [player Y] hasn’t been acting correctly, all while having no discernible moral code of their own

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Yep, will never forget the way he went on during those dark times. Guy is a prick. 
That's not even the worst one. He did the whole "fans should buy the club off him themselves" thing as well didn't he? and also the "Rafa should spend his own money to sign players" or was that the other twat Richard Keys?

Edited by alexf

The TV channels seem to go out of their way to pick either the thickest or most obnoxious ex-fooballers to spout their nonsense on the mic, especially outside the grounds. There's a few more thoughtful ones appearing in the studio when they analyse the game, but still few and far between. I guess the common man relates more to your Rio Ferdinands and Robbie Savages.

7 hours ago, Yorkie said:

How this guy is a pundit I will never know - utterly clueless when it comes to football.  He knows he is talking rubbish as he is saying it.