Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, andycap said:

Milan were pulling us all over city wolves

I may be remembering wrong, but I’m pretty sure City didn’t create much apart from their goal against us.

The system does change and has changed depending on personnel. For all it looks similar on paper, we've used different presses for different teams and for our line ups and apart from always having Trippier finding space we've employed different methods of attacking to try and exploit the opposition. The way some make it sound is that all they do in training is keep fit and just do the same thing week in week out, which isn't what I've witnessed.

Edited by madras

After a brilliant 2022/23 campaign, the opportunity to build on their success has consistently been taken away from them because of injuries to key players.

Though there are still 45 points to play for this season, the Magpies are currently 13 points from the Champions League spots and with the teams above them in better form.

Howe’s positive outlook will ensure that he’ll keep pushing his squad to give their maximum week in and week out, and if they are able to put any sort of late run together, they might just sneak into the top four at the last possible moment.

That has to be the squad’s motivation at this stage, with Howe looking at different ways in which to get the results he needs.

One of those could be to move defender, Fabian Schar, into a midfield role.

“He had been toying in recent weeks with going to a back five in matches,” The Athletic’s George Culkin said on Pod on the Tyne.

“We saw that happen at Villa. He had been toying with putting Fabian Schar in midfield at various points.

“It will be very interesting to see what happens next, because at the moment they are way too open.”

Though such a move might be seen as a little too drastic, it’s worth remembering that Howe was the man who turned an ungainly Joelinton that was lacking confidence into a marauding, first-class midfield dynamo.

The manager therefore deserves to be afforded some respect from the St. James’ Park faithful as he tinkers with his systems.

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

So what's the answer? Keep playing the system even though we know it doesn't suit the current available personnel, and just accept getting battered at home by Luton? Or change the system and personnel to suit our current circumstances and give ourselves a better chance of winning with a depleted squad?

Battered at home by Luton. Fuck off man. :lol:

At worst the game was 50-50.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Battered at home by Luton. Fuck off man. :lol:

At worst the game was 50-50.

Getting battered is extreme, but we have conceded 10 goals in our last 3 home games. We definitely need a rethink in how we are setting up or approaching the game’s tactically.

2 hours ago, andycap said:

Milan were pulling us all over city wolves

Wolves I don't remember pulling us all over. I don't think you could call Milan and City typical opponents and hold them as credible examples for Howe being found out :lol:

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Our numbers prior to the injuries taking hold were really good, weren't they? 

At decent strength, every team will have games or small runs of crap performances. 

Aye. We had an insane start of the season too in terms of opposition strength.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Getting battered is extreme, but we have conceded 10 goals in our last 3 home games. We definitely need a rethink in how we are setting up or approaching the game’s tactically.

And we've conceded 1 goal in our last 3 away games.  Any reason why that's being left out other than selectively choosing results to suit the argument, or...?

58 minutes ago, madras said:

It isn't like.

You aren't going to win many games if you concede 4 goals regardless of if you are home or away.

4 hours ago, madras said:

It isn't like.

I know. Until Keegan as manager they'd been better than us for 10years and we were getting turned over at home by worse than Luton in a lower division.

Even with KK honours were even. 

3 hours ago, Orphanage said:

In the old days we did it better 

That performance and game was awful, last 15' aside it could have been the worst in 5yr. If we won against Luton it would have appeared over less cracks than that.

Edited by Wolfcastle

5 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

And we've conceded 1 goal in our last 3 away games.  Any reason why that's being left out other than selectively choosing results to suit the argument, or...?

I’m talking league games, and fwiw, we still were easy to get at in the Sunderland and Fulham games. They didn’t have the quality to punish us. We were good against Villa, although it took the change in formation to stem the tide back in our favour.

I do think second half against Fulham we did start to look better and then carried it on to the majority of the villa game mind.

Edited by SUPERTOON

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Howe has been trying to tweak the system.

I do think there's been signs of it, maybe the players just haven't worked it out yet. At times this season it looked like they were getting caught between two stools, neither sure when to drop back and when to push forward. I think against Dortmund we looked particularly two minded.

But then against Villa in the away fixture we got the balance right and felt like we were much more in control.

Edited by TRon

"Cut to ribbons" before the injuries? Sometimes I feel like I'm living through a different season.

• Concede 1 against Villa - You could argue they should have scored two that day and xGA supports that.
  • Concede 1 at City - xGA of 1.01
  • Concede 3 at Brighton - our worst day without injuries for sure. They exceeded their xG of 1.3 though. We also battered them three months earlier with the same system. Aside from the second half of the Man City cup game, this was the last time we saw a midfield of Joelinton - Bruno - Tonali (presumably our intended first choice midfield).
  • Concede 2 against Liverpool - A disastrous ending that still defies all reason and logic as Nunez misses more chances than he makes. We were fine for 80 minutes and the main issue is we didn't get a second.
  • Clean sheet against Brentford - xGA under 1
  • Clean sheet against Milan - they should have scored 1 or 2 in fairness
  • Clean sheet against Sheffield United - xGA under 1
  • Clean sheet against Man City - xGA under 1
  • Clean sheet against Burnley - xGA under 1
  • Concede 1 against PSG - xGA under 1
  • Concede 2 against West Ham - Their goal in the 8th minute accounts for 80% of their xG in the game. We gave it away late.
  • Clean sheet against Palace - xGA of 1.21
  • Concede 1 v. Dortmund - Could have, maybe should have been 2
  • Concede 2 at Wolves - Weird game, xGA under 1 and open play xGA of 0.35 (1.25 for us)
  • Clean sheet against Man United in the cup - xGA under 1
  • Clean sheet against Arsenal - xGA under 1

After this, barring the one week post-international break where we beat Chelsea and Man United and drew away to PSG, is when the injuries and fixture demands really started to hamper us. If you want to say we rode our luck, particularly away from home, in the Champions League games I think that's fair. 

But before the Everton game we were second in the league in GA and xGA. Since the Everton game we are last in GA and xGA. This is also, not coincidentally, the exact with and without Nick Pope splits. Nothing wrong with voicing frustrations at conceding four at home to Luton or maybe not trying more drastic changes with a backup GK and less than ideal midfield three, but it's pretty disingenuous to say the system wasn't working in the first four months of the season.

55 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Reminder we've beat Villa X2, Man u X2, Arsenal, City, PSG and Chelsea this season alone with clueless Eddie and his terrible system. 

Say it louder please.

Cannot believe the blind spots some people have.

Well everything is rosy then I expect us to cruise to the end of the season. No more mishaps a defeats to weaker opponents to hear the majority on here. Is it so wrong to say we are bare bones in the middle and should bring a system change so they're not getting exposed to record chances against of late. 

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

Wolves I don't remember pulling us all over. I don't think you could call Milan and City typical opponents and hold them as credible examples for Howe being found out :lol:

Wolves were absolutely tearing us apart mind, only thing that stopped it was the injury to Neto.