Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I would be shocked if a defeat tomorrow doesn’t rush the consortium into making a decision. Obviously hope we win and think we can.

seems they're not gonna panic ahead of the international break, which is fair enough really...we've been in a lot of games this season, maybe the lack of Bruce will see us get a minor bounce ahead of a new manager

Guest dazzanufc1892
Just now, Kimbo said:

Why? I don’t think Lampard is going to do anything as a manager.

Because he already has done something as a manager. He took an under budgeted average Derby team to a playoff final in season one.

He was elevated to Premier League level with a club that had just lost its best player and was under a transfer embargo. Everybody that season said top 6 would be a good achievement. He out performed all expectations that season and achieved Champions League football. He brought through a raft of players but more importantly he improved some players.

Second season syndrome hit as it does with many managers and he didn't ride it out. We aren't going to win the league. But we need growth, a manager who believes in a certain style and importantly, who has a name that other players want tone associated with and who has connections to bring certain names to the club to improve us. I'm not saying he is a 5 year man who gets us to the title, but he is the right incremental step that elevates the club and does what we need. If he exceeds like he did at Derby and season 1 at Chelsea, this club will grow, get better players and if we then move in, we are in a stronger position for better names and look a much better project.

People forget City had Shinawatra and he brought in Sven, who set the foundations for Hughes to try and build on (he didn't), but there was a basis of a club that Mancini then took forward. Thats what we need to do. 10 year projects don't happen anymore. Its about steps.

17 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Lampard's inability to get signings at Chelsea together into a unit should be an immediate red flag to us.

The difference when tuchel went in was startling.  Tuchel after Dortmund and PSG I wasn't too impressed but he's turned me around and he's in the top 3 managers in the PL.

Errm...as much as i dislike the very concept of Lampard as a manager, i'm pretty sure Chelsea were on a transfer ban for most of his time

Just can't have a full on cockney like Lampard me personally, just wouldn't get the club in the slightest.

Hope Reuben isn't using his influence to try and make it happen given he's friends with Jamie Redknapp etc.

Guest dazzanufc1892
Just now, toon25 said:

He benefitted massively from the Chelsea youth system - especially at Derby when he was able to loan Mount.

He'll have nothing of the sort here.

You honestly dont think Billy Gilmour comes here to play for Lampard over Norwich, or that other prospects who know Lampard wont come to the club. Especially younger players knowing his views on giving youth a chance. We aren't going to go and sign top names immediately, but young prospects who can turn into fantastic players will. Even the example of Hudson-Odoi is valid. Players away from Chelsea and on the continent know the name. Simply dismissing him because he was sacked by Chelsea, as many managers have been in better situations would be silly. Especially in favour of a man who was sacked by a team in Italy who finished below where Chelsea did in the premier league

Just now, Magpie said:

Just can't have a full on cockney like Lampard me personally, just wouldn't get the club in the slightest.

Hope Reuben isn't using his influence to try and make it happen given he's friends with Jamie Redknapp etc.

Not sure if that cockney quote is serious like. I’m assuming not given Warren Barton, Rob Lee etc who def got the club.

But yeah, apparently Jamie and Harry Redknapp have the club their opinion on Eddie Howe (a glowing recommendation) apparently so if they are friends with Jamie Reuben then they’ll have likely pushed Lampard too given Harry is his uncle and Jamie his cousin. 

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Errm...as much as i dislike the very concept of Lampard as a manager, i'm pretty sure Chelsea were on a transfer ban for most of his time

1st season yes and he did a good job then.  They then spent big and actually got worse.  Tuchel came in and they won the CL....

Guest dazzanufc1892
Just now, neesy111 said:

1st season yes and he did a good job then.  They then spent big and actually got worse.  Tuchel came in and they won the CL....

So did Di Matteo. Avram Grant got to a final. As I say, its about steps and what's put in place. Do we trust a man who performed worse in Italy than a man who performed better in England? Its nice to be enticed by a foreign manager due to the class of English managers Ashley brought in (I include Keegan in that), but to dismiss somebody who took a team full of younger English lads and a few stars to Champions League football would be mad.

3 minutes ago, dazzanufc1892 said:

You honestly dont think Billy Gilmour comes here to play for Lampard over Norwich, or that other prospects who know Lampard wont come to the club. Especially younger players knowing his views on giving youth a chance. We aren't going to go and sign top names immediately, but young prospects who can turn into fantastic players will. Even the example of Hudson-Odoi is valid. Players away from Chelsea and on the continent know the name. Simply dismissing him because he was sacked by Chelsea, as many managers have been in better situations would be silly. Especially in favour of a man who was sacked by a team in Italy who finished below where Chelsea did in the premier league

I think this post and your previous one made some very fair arguments. 

I'd be disappointed as I think we could potentially hit a home run with someone like Fonseca right off the bat, and I'm really concerned about Franks temperament and the media bias that will follow like we just had with Bruce, however I'd get behind the guy if it did happen. I'd be really worried though.

What you said about getting in young talented players I'd agree with. Signing the likes of Gilmour, Gallagher and loads of other talented Chelsea youth that they may be willing to sell would be a big plus for sure.

I just cannot see anything about Lampard that suggests he's going to be a truly top manager. Maybe it's because he's a sexy foreign and that's warping my view a bit but that Xavi video I saw the other day (posted it in the Bruce thread) is how I want our manager to be. I just cannot see Lampard being in tune with the kind of football he wants to play in the same way.

Edit:

He's clearly passionate about exactly what he wants and is dedicated to playing it out. Basically just get a good DOF, some world class scouts and pay Xavi whatever it costs.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Guest neesy111
3 minutes ago, dazzanufc1892 said:

Do we trust a man who performed worse in Italy than a man who performed better in England? 

Eh, how are Chelsea and Roma comparable?

I seem to remember Chelsea finishing 3rd and winning the EL the season before lampard joined.  Wasn't like he turned them around.

It speaks volumes that the most memorable moment of Lampard’s managerial career is his crying like a bitch when Bielsa sent a spy to Derby’s training ground.

He might turn into a good manager, but the sum total of his achievements are a decent twelve months with Derby (matched Rowett’s league finish iirc) and an admirable season at Chelsea when they were under embargo. The minute they started signing players it went tits up. There rumours he was pretty aloof and fell out with a lot of the squad too.

He’s not what we need in this current situation.

7 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Isn't Lampard considered to have done a very good job when they had the transfer embargo and brought through a number of young academy players to good effect?  I wouldn't be jumping to take him first choice but I don't think he's a PFM fuckwit more than likely, probably just didn't have the experience to manage all the players after that mental transfer window they had.  Nothing to be ashamed of.

Lampard is a horrendous manager. No idea about phases of play and on record as saying he doesn’t believe in having a particular playing philosophy.

Just look at how his Chelsea side played, suicidal, formless high press and a deep backline. Similar to how we play under Bruce. Nothing compact; the bloke is clueless tactically and got away with it due to the players at his disposal. Another in a long line of British “tough, tell it like it is” man-managers with no idea whatsoever with regards to modern tactics.

He’s the only one on our supposed shortlist I’d be genuinely upset about us hiring. Like replacing Bruce with a young Sherwood (might be hyperbole but I se similarities between them).

Guest dazzanufc1892
1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I think this post and your previous one made some very fair arguments. 

I'd be disappointed as I think we could potentially hit a home run with someone like Fonseca right off the bat, and I'm really concerned about Franks temperament and the media bias that will follow like we just had with Bruce, however I'd get behind the guy if it did happen. I'd be really worried though.

What you said about getting in young talented players I'd agree with. Signing the likes of Gilmour, Gallagher and loads of other talented Chelsea youth that they may be willing to sell would be a big plus for sure.

I totally agree. it depends how you see this appointment. To me this is somebody who will come in, entice some players you wouldnt expect e.g. Kieran Tripper, James Maddison, that grow the team and we see good football and the development of NUFC as a brand and a club. As that growth happens we will probably outgrow this appointment which is fine and happens at almost every club.

Then we look at a level above a Fonseca, a proven trophy winner who doesn't just look good and a pre-rehearsed and edited YouTube video. There are managers other than Lampard who would do a much better job, thats totally agreed, but theyre not coming here to build foundations, theyre coming here to win and win from day one. Thats why this step is important. As above, if you view this appointment as the guy who will lead a squad build for 5 - 7 years and win a trophy, then that has to be a bigger name than Fonseca as theres no proof he can do this yet, but what we do have is proof from other managers of the ability by name to attract players and put some things in place. Even Tuchel took time after the CL win to praise Lampard and the players and plans that were already there when he arrived.

3 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Eh, how are Chelsea and Roma comparable?

I seem to remember Chelsea finishing 3rd and winning the EL the season before lampard joined.  Wasn't like he turned them around.

Yeah, that bit wasn't a sound argument.