Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

There isn't one Premier League manager who isn't under pressure. You think if we lose the first 3 games there'll be no consequences? Yasir will be on the blower at the very least.

He is under no greater pressure than any other manager, based off of what has happened this season.

Happy?

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Pretty funny seeing him getting panned on Twitter for not playing Pope, despite the same people getting stuck in to him for rushing players back earlier in the season.

I hope Pope is ready for the weekend though. Brentford will bombard the eighteen yard area with crosses and long throw ins.

It's the being on the bench. For a keeper, I suspect you are either fit to play or you aren't.

Maybe Pope plays such an aggressive game he does more running than most keepers?

Just watching the game. You feel like Pope saves at least one of those goals. 

Posted (edited)

I know i'm in the minority here, and I fully understand the consequences of saying anything that doesn't toe the party line on this forum, but if there was a young-ish proven winner available, I wouldn't be devastated to see him replaced. Winning teams are built on a solid defence and I just don't have faith in Eddie to be able to deliver that consistently. 

Last season we were exceptional at the back, but history tells us that this season is more Eddie's norm than last.

Despite our injury crisis, the one area we've consistently had options (until the past 4-5 games) was in defence but all-too-often, even when we fielded our full strength line-up, we looked shambolic.  The Burn debacle was nothing short of negligent at times.

I appreciate the players in front of the defence contribute to goals conceded as well, but there has rarely been any attempt to shore that side of things up to help the defence.

I love our attacking prowess under Eddie, I love him as a person and I love a lot of what we're about under him, but I don't think he's the man to take us into the upper echelons of the Premier League consistently. You don't win anything conceding 2-3 goals per game. We got in the Champions League last season by having one of the meanest defenses in the PL, and that's what it will take every season if we're going to challenge.

FWIW, I would genuinely love him to prove me wrong.

Edited by Holmesy

Dont think he is under pressure from the start (more than any other), but I do think he has sort of used up his free hit. Another season like this and I think he is gone. We have pretty ambitious owners. 

I know we had a lot of injuries and he can sort of use that as an excuse, but it could also have came from the playstyle and management of the squad. If it happens again next season he cant really get the benefit of the doubt, which I am willing to give him for now.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

I know i'm in the minority here, and I fully understand the consequences of saying anything that doesn't toe the party line on this forum, but if there was a young-ish proven winner available, I wouldn't be devastated to see him replaced. Winning teams are built on a solid defence and I just don't have faith in Eddie to be able to deliver that consistently. 

Last season we were exceptional at the back, but history tells us that this season is more Eddie's norm than last.

Despite our injury crisis, the one area we've consistently had options (until the past 4-5 games) was in defence but all-too-often often, even when we fielded our full strength line-up, we looked shambolic.  The Burn debacle was nothing short of negligent at times.

I appreciate the players in front of the defence contribute to goals conceded as well, but there has rarely been any attempt to shore that side of things up to help the defence.

I love our attacking prowess under Eddie, I love him as a person and I love a lot of what we're about under him, but I don't think he's the man to take us into the upper echelons of the Premier League consistently. You don't win anything conceding 2-3 goals per game. We got in the Champions League last season by having one of the meanest defenses in the PL, and that's what it will take every season if we're going to challenge.

You don’t have faith he can build a solid defence, despite the fact for most of last season and the back end of the one before we had close to the best defence in the league ? Even before the injuries this season we where rock solid (go back and watch the Arsenal home game).

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Despite our injury crisis, the one area we've consistently had options (until the past 4-5 games) was in defence but all-too-often often, even when we fielded our full strength line-up, we looked shambolic.  The Burn debacle was nothing short of negligent at times.

These days, if you say you're English, you'll be arrested and thrown jail.

Feel like it gets repeated after every defeat, but no one has a clue what Yasir/PIF think. What I would say is that up to this point they have not shown anything to suggest they are going to be ruthless in hiring/firing, quite the opposite tbh.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Dont think he is under pressure from the start (more than any other), but I do think he has sort of used up his free hit. Another season like this and I think he is gone. We have pretty ambitious owners. 

I know we had a lot of injuries and he can sort of use that as an excuse, but it could also have came from the playstyle and management of the squad. If it happens again next season he cant really get the benefit of the doubt, which I am willing to give him for now.

It's not really the 'benefit of the doubt' though, is it? He's done pretty much an amazing job since he arrived and is about to manage half a Championship team to at least 7th in the PL. 

If it turns out he's asking half-fit players to do SAS assault courses and participate in an underground fighting ring, I stand corrected. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's not really the 'benefit of the doubt' though, is it? He's done pretty much an amazing job since he arrived and is about to manage half a Championship team to at least 7th in the PL. 

If it turns out he's asking half-fit players to do SAS assault courses and participate in an underground fighting ring, I stand corrected. 

Benefit of the doubt in regards to him not being at fault for the injury crisis we have had.

I agree that he has done an amazing job since he came, but I also do think we have owners that are demanding excellence. And two seasons in a row finishing 7-8 is not going to be enough.

Edited by Displayname

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

You don’t have faith he can build a solid defence, despite the fact for most of last season and the back end of the one before we had close to the best defence in the league ? Even before the injuries this season we where rock solid (go back and watch the Arsenal home game).

Prisoners of the moment man.

Never mind the season we had the year before.

Despite the issues we've had this year, and what he has still managed, the manager needs replacing.

Zero perspective.

Edited by KaKa

46 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yes Longstaff and Anderson were completely ineffectual yesterday. Bruno constantly has to carry the midfield. I hope Tonali can help with this moving forwards.

Still feel like we lack creativity at times from midfield in final 3rd but it was our finishing which was the issue yesterday. 

Agreed. We somehow lack creativity in midfield but still create chances. I've grown ok with that. My biggest issue with the midfield is that we can't keep smooth possession in there. But that's down to the players ability. 30 games of Tonali-Bruno-Joelinton clicking, we surely can play in there better.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The thing I like most about Howe is he does get the best out of most players.

Like Krafth. He's been decent man. Murphy was decent considering he's Jacob Murphy. Decent assist. Give him some proper talent.

This is the main thing for me.

I want to see what he can do with a more talented and well rounded squad before any talk of making a change.

He's shown a lot making use of some very ordinary players so far.

It's such a shame this FFP nonsense means we have to build so slowly.

Concerns I still have which haven’t looked like improving, is the control to our games. We just haven’t looked like this season a side that’s coached well to build up patterns of play. It’s more on fast breaks, high turnovers, which works for most part at home, but away, hasn’t, so we end up sitting off more, clipping balls long and losing possession within 3 passes if it doesn’t lead to an attack. 

Need the right signings to help improve that and evolve the side, because it’s easy to point to injuries and say it’s led to the inconsistency, but then maybe change up the play/set up a bit to mitigate? 

He's a dream manager in terms of navigating FFP and being able to maximise a player's potential so that we can delay buying or sell them on above market value. It feels like that's what we should have done with Miggy last summer.

Just now, The Prophet said:

He's a dream manager in terms of navigating FFP and being able to maximise a player's potential so that we can delay buying or sell them on above market value. It feels like that's what we should have done with Miggy last summer.

Both Wilson and Miggy should have been shown the door last summer to both free up space and allow us to kick on. 

Waugh bangs on about it a lot but we have to become better sellers due to FFP. We clearly aren’t going to be making legal channels so we have to improve how we navigate the rules, this included sponsoring everything and anything. I can’t believe we still don’t have a sponsor for the training ground or the training kit, absolutely negligent. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I think to a certain extent we were unlucky (if you can call it luck) that Wilson and Miggy both had great periods around the times when you might have expected them to be replaced. 

You could argue that we should've expected a reversion to the mean and got rid of them anyway, but football doesn't seem to operate on that basis that much. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Both Wilson and Miggy should have been shown the door last summer to both free up space and allow us to kick on. 

Waugh bangs on about it a lot but we have to become better sellers due to FFP. We clearly aren’t going to be making legal channels so we have to improve how we navigate the rules, this included sponsoring everything and anything. I can’t believe we still don’t have a sponsor for the training ground or the training kit, absolutely negligent. 

I will agree with the last point if we haven’t got those sponsors sorted this summer.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I will agree with the last point if we haven’t got those sponsors sorted this summer.

They should have been done as soon as they fame in, if your worried about the amount then you do 1 year deals or make it heavily incentivised (not that I think fair market value rules should be taken seriously). 

I think it's unfair to judge him on the happenings of this season, just a question mark over the level of injuries we've had. We defend and attack as a team and when integral parts of that machine are missing then there's glaring holes in the system. It's no surprise that the loss of Joelinton greatly exposed Burn and the loss of Pope opened up huge holes for the over the top ball. Howe has tried to adapt to these changes but creating a new system half way through the season is never going to be infallible.

18 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

No, i don't. One swallow does not make a summer

18 minutes ago, Displayname said:

/Dont think he is under pressure from the start (more than any other), but I do think he has sort of used up his free hit. Another season like this and I think he is gone. We have pretty ambitious owners. 

Sort of use it as an excuse? So we are still in with a chance of sixth despite all the injuries and you say he has used up a free hit? What is your solution to the injuries? We have had a superb season compared to the past 20! Alot of the stats bear this out Howe has earned at least two more years after his first 2 have you forgotten his first year? 

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

No, i don't. One swallow does not make a summer

By that logic you can’t judge him on this seasons mistakes either then.

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

This is the main thing for me.

I want to see what he can do with a more talented and well rounded squad before any talk of making a change.

He's shown a lot making use of some very ordinary players so far.

It's such a shame this FFP nonsense means we have to build so slowly.

Given that we are 2.5 years into a 5 year plan - I think we are probably par in terms of where we need to be - hopefully have a complete clear out of the deadwood in the summer (Dummett, Ritchie etc)

I think we have to bear in mind, within this process we started with a much lower base than the current group within the top 8 - to achieve safety from being rock bottom, top 4 finish, joint best defence, a final, 2 QFs, massive goal returns and maybe the Conference is pretty decent if you ask me