Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

8 minutes ago, gdm said:

I do enjoy him saying England is not important at all :lol:

Is there anymore interviews, that's the 3rd today I've watched O0

I didn't take from that what you did, it's being sold as a major thing on the usual BS merchants but it didn't sound that way, more so of a "let's see what his remit is as it seems different to Ashworth's", not "I need barriers !!"

Everything sounded positive to me except Tino and Willock still aren't properly training 

17 minutes ago, Pilko said:

People seem to have confused Howe saying "I'm committed here as long as I have certain things I feel I need" as meaning that he suddenly doesn't have those things anymore with Staveley leaving / Mitchell joining.

I thought he sounded incredibly positive, focused and committed to the job at hand and pretty shocked at the way it's been interpreted by some. 

100%.

When he talked about the boundaries bit it was in response to the interviewer's follow up on him saying that as long as he's happy at Newcastle he will be here.

Then even when he talked about the boundaries, he says that with all of the changes they haven't actually had a chance to sit together and discuss how they'd all prefer to work together.

Not sure why people are anticipating this as an issue behind the scenes, especially when Mitchell has even stated Howe was a big part of him joining!

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I read it positively overall. However I do think some things might have been better off not mentioning as it only runs the risk of unnecessary speculation imo. Maybe did mention it as a part of a power play. ‘Could’ almost be a way of covering bases or to make sure to get as much control as possible. More likely though to just be about the new changes and how they haven’t set quite yet, boundaries and such, but that’s why I think it would have been better to keep in-house instead. 

I think he's definitely done that intentionally.

More so to emphasize the importance of having those discussions from the outset, and ensuring the club have done a better job of clearly stating everyone's roles.

Not because of an issue with Mitchell, but due to the nonsense that took place with Dan Ashworth. Not a big deal though IMO. I respect it.  

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Not because of an issue with Mitchell, but due to the nonsense that took place with Dan Ashworth. Not a big deal though IMO. I respect it.  

think this is pretty much it. Don’t think he was at all happy with Ashworth 

Edited by gdm

1 hour ago, gdm said:

a new downbeat podcast in the works as we speak 

Oh no, this is so worrying:

"It is an unbelievable football club. I’m very, very proud to be the manager," said Howe, who was speaking to BBC Radio Newcastle from the Magpies' training camp in Germany.

"I love the supporters, I love the players, I love the staff. So really, there has been no thought in my mind on anything else and I have been very committed to the job here.

"For me, as long as I am happy and feel supported and feel free to do the work that I love to do at Newcastle, I’ll be very happy - and I am very happy.

Asked if he expects to start the season as Newcastle manager amid links with England, Howe said: "Of course that is my expectation because I am the manager of Newcastle and I am very proud to be.

"But as I said, it is all about the environment I am working in. As long as that is one where I feel I can give my best, then absolutely, we will crack on and I am looking forward to next season."

"I’m absolutely honoured and privileged to be manager of Newcastle United. I hope that is for many, many years," Howe added.

"My commitment is unwavering. I am determined to win a trophy for the football club - that is in my psyche every day. I want to see joy in the supporters. I want to bring that to them, hopefully."

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Yeah, Eddie doesn’t know himself until he’s sat down and had formal discussions re these power lines. So any predictions of doom from Edwards, Hope, Downie etc are complete conjecture from journalists who prey on uncertainty. If Eddie doesn’t know, how do they know? He likely has a good idea, he knows the club are acting in good faith. He just wants power structures formalised with agreed working principles going forward so that no one is in the dark about what their roles are. He just hasn’t had a chance to do that yet as he’s been at this training camp. 

Edited by Joelinton7

I mean, of course theirs negativity in there.... he put a caveat on his future.

In 3 interviews he said the same things 3 times, clearly rehearsed. There's clearly a message he wants to get to someone. It could be the Ashworth/Mitchell thing, the PSR debacle/selling Anderson or AS/MG leaving. Clearly something has bothered him.

Also, every time he says that he was unaware of the England speculation, he's lying through his teeth. He has a media officer for a start and as if he didn't know about the speculation around him anyway. :lol:

The only thing that matters is that whatever the issue is, it's put to bed quickly.

Also I watched his interview and immediately had a pang of worry, that's without reading a single tweet or opinion. I could be completely wrong and hopefully I am but that feeling was there regardless and it's, of course, going to be pounced on by the press.

Let's not pretend like everything was sunshine and roses, that's flat out misleading IMO.

It was a typical Howe interview, very positive , adores the fans and the club, excited for the future but also ‘let me do my job’ , how anyone can watch those interviews and spin them as negative is beyond me. Click baiting, attention seeking cunts. 

2 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

It was a typical Howe interview, very positive , adores the fans and the club, excited for the future but also ‘let me do my job’ , how anyone can watch those interviews and spin them as negative is beyond me. Click baiting, attention seeking cunts. 

He literally questioned the structure of behind the scenes. That's a bit negative like.

Just now, STM said:

He literally questioned the structure of behind the scenes. That's a bit negative like.

No he didn’t?! 😂

Well, not in the ones I’ve seen. ‘As long as I’m happy, as long as I’m allowed to operate how I operate’ 

How is that negative?! 

6 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

No he didn’t?! 😂

Well, not in the ones I’ve seen. ‘As long as I’m happy, as long as I’m allowed to operate how I operate’ 

How is that negative?! 

The negativity comes I guess from not what he said but why he said it. 

Just now, gdm said:

The negativity comes I guess from not what he said but why he said it. 

Precisely. Not only did he say it.... it said it 3 times.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Precisely. Not only did he say it.... it said it 3 times.

Because he’s sending a message… 

He’s in one of the most high profile jobs in the country and there’s been a massive restructure over the summer where people he knows and trusts had left and a lot of new people have come in. He’s saying, ‘let me do what I do and I’ll stay here for as long as you want me’. 

That doesn’t have to be deemed as negative, he’s marking his territory as everyone person his position should do when faced with change. 

Why ignore all the massively positive parts of the interview?! Jesus. 

"But as I said, it is all about the environment I am working in. As long as that is one where I feel I can give my best, then absolutely, we will crack on and I am looking forward to next season."

you should never need to caveat a statement unless there is a reservation. Thats the bit people will focus on as its in there for a reason

2 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Because he’s sending a message… 

He’s in one of the most high profile jobs in the country and there’s been a massive restructure over the summer where people he knows and trusts had left and a lot of new people have come in. He’s saying, ‘let me do what I do and I’ll stay here for as long as you want me’. 

That doesn’t have to be deemed as negative, he’s marking his territory as everyone person his position should do when faced with change. 

Why ignore all the massively positive parts of the interview?! Jesus. 

This is how I see it too.

Howe seems a no nonsense guy when it comes to his work, and he's just sending a strong message, especially after Ashworth.

Better to nail this all down right from the outset with the new guys. A more relaxed approach previously probably led to the issues with Ashworth.