Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Referred to on Sky just this morning as a “long and protracted saga”, which I seem to remember took a lot longer than three weeks and whereby they constantly flirted between managers with several turning them down. Yet us, in the middle of a season, with a shit shell of a club, and new owners are getting pelters from a percentage of the fan base for not being as quick. 

2 months it took them, then they panicked. It's a fair point but the spurs situation in the summer was a botch job, probably one of the worst i've seen for a while so comparing our time taken to theirs doesn't bode well or tbh, do us any justice. Let's hope we're not flapping around, I honestly think we haven't even got to the stage of offering contracts where Spurs had offered 2 or 3 managers contracts and withdrew or moved targets.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-consortium-thinking-manager-decision-22028244

good article for all the doom merchants.

"We want to take the decision as quickly as possible because there is some urgency but it will not be at the expense of taking the right decision," a source said.

"But the right decision long-term will be the right decision for the short-term as well."

“the view of those at the centre of the black and white storm - the new long-term custodians of Newcastle United - remains unchanged: get this huge decision right rather than make a knee jerk call. The right man, if you will, rather than Mr Right Now.”

Just now, Manxst said:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-consortium-thinking-manager-decision-22028244

"We want to take the decision as quickly as possible because there is some urgency but it will not be at the expense of taking the right decision," a source said.

"But the right decision long-term will be the right decision for the short-term as well."

“the view of those at the centre of the black and white storm - the new long-term custodians of Newcastle United - remains unchanged: get this huge decision right rather than make a knee jerk call. The right man, if you will, rather than Mr Right Now.”

Couldn't ask for more 

Just now, Manxst said:

Oh, I like that a lot. Great they are looking at someone for the short and long term and no temp managers.

Should have released something like that earlier though. Would have spared a lot of soiled mattresses.

4 minutes ago, steve_69 said:

I'd still like us to go for Potter. He's just a class act.

No. Just no.

He'd be massively underwhelming considering some of the other names supposedly looked at.

Probably wouldn't be instantly hated like Lampard or Rooney, but would have to get results pretty quick to get any sort of good will that a Fonseca/Ten Haag/Le Favre would get immediately

Edited by gjohnson
detail

Just now, KaKa said:

Oh, I like that a lot. Great they are looking at someone for the short and long term and no temp managers.

Should have released something like that earlier though. Would have spared a lot of soiled mattresses.

Somehow doubt it with some folk here. 

27 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Wew, the crazy animals. No first, second or third interviews with a clutch of potential candidates over a period of weeks?  They should have went down the Squid Game process we are doing. Last man standing gets the job.

They took over two months to replace Mourinho in the summer, mind.

10 minutes ago, Dokko said:

2 months it took them, then they panicked. It's a fair point but the spurs situation in the summer was a botch job, probably one of the worst i've seen for a while so comparing our time taken to theirs doesn't bode well or tbh, do us any justice. Let's hope we're not flapping around, I honestly think we haven't even got to the stage of offering contracts where Spurs had offered 2 or 3 managers contracts and withdrew or moved targets.

That was a Spurs with an established leadership structure and much more pulling power than us, like. They had Paratici already committed too, whereas we’ve got nowt on the DoF/Sporting Director front.

Is it not just clear at this point that Staveley and Reuben have been doing all the initial legwork before presenting their final shortlist to PIF? That shortlist might contain both managers and DoFs/Sporting Directors, so it’s understandable that it would take longer than normal.

I’d have liked an instant hire, but we also didn’t have the benefit of being able to tap people up. It’s clear Spurs would only have sacked Nuno after sounding Conte or whoever out to avoid another farce.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yeah, but in that time they essentially appointed Fonseca, then changed their mind because their new DOF thought his philosophy was too attack minded, then essentially appointed Gattuso, then changed their mind again when people pointed out that he'd made homophobic comments in the past.

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

Yeah, but in that time they essentially appointed Fonseca, then changed their mind because their new DOF thought his philosophy was too attack minded, then essentially appointed Gattuso, then changed their mind again when people pointed out that he'd made homophobic comments in the past.

thats an even bigger farce tbh

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yeah, the idea Spurs are any type of model to follow is not correct.

They had a fantastic young manager that essentially took the team they have right now to the Champions League final and they binned him off :lol:

Everyone kills Dele now, but my God he was right there featuring prominently in that team, and now look at the state of him. Poch was so good at Spurs man, just the perfect fit, and they blew it.

Since then its been a complete farce. Just chasing their own tail.

Edited by KaKa

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Emery fits the bill both short and long term as well IMO 

3 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

thats an even bigger farce tbh

They're the basket case of the 'big 6', how many top class managers to they have to hire and fire before they realise the manager is not the issue there? Conte would be mad to agree to be their manager.

10 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, the idea Spurs are any type of model to follow is not correct.

They had a fantastic young manager that essentially took the team they have right now to the Champions League final and they binned him off :lol:

Everyone kills Dele now, but my God he was right there featuring prominently in that team, and now look at the state of him. Poch was so good at Spurs man, just the perfect fit, and they blew it.

Since then its been a complete farce. just chasing their own tail.

They've become us after Sir Bobby.

Looking for a solution to a problem they didn't really have in the first place, and getting the answer wrong very quickly. Admittedly 10 games is a very short time to panic with a new manager.

Just now, nufcnick said:

We can’t talk to him without asking his club first 

They have a big champions league game this week he isn’t going to come out and say yeah I’m going and nor would his club. I’m not saying we are getting him but he’s not going to admit we are either way.

29 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Good article but on the other hand they can’t come out and say that then we end up with Howe, Martinez, Lampard etc.