Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

16 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Lampard, Terry or even Martinez and I'll not be happy with the appointments, even a tad disappointed in the new owners. I mean, they're not Bruce, but that's about all the enthusiasm they inspire in me I'm afraid. I don't think Gerrard or Howe could save us. Fonseca, Ten Hag or Favre would be pretty interesting. Rafa would be fun and Conte would be amazing - the realist in me thinks we'll end up with Emery though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'd be alright with that I think.

... let's face it, a month or so ago I'd all but given up hope of ever enjoying football with our club ever again, it's still not sunk in that we have the owners that we do with the possibilities it brings, but then I guess that's because we've not seen any real changes so far, it'll all come in good time I'm sure.

According to Ben the consortium want to make the announcement during the international break, hopefully that rules Martinez out as he’ll be busy with Belgium. Surely they want the new manager to work with the current squad during the break.

People are worrying too much about Martinez too soon. Yes we don't want him, but let's wait and see. Unless there's a change that points towards him being very likely to become our new manager. 

29 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

It's Rafa.

He literally said he was looking forward to being at Everton when they have their new stadium. He said that last week.

Surely nobody in their right mind thinks Rafa will break his contract and Everton are certainly not going to sack him any time soon.

2 months time if the fans are on his back and it might be a possibility but not now. 

4 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

I hope to fuck it’s not Martinez. A once in a generation group of talent with Belgium and he’s won the square root of fuck all with em.

I've seen this sentiment repeated a lot, but it's a big ask to just go out and win a world cup or a Euros like, they have some talent but haven't exactly been favourites going into any of the tournaments he's managed. 

His premier league record would be more concerning, but perhaps if you were giving him the benefit of the doubt, would be far enough into the past to look beyond now. 

While we are on Martinez, the over reaction to that possibility completely outweighs reality. Martinez wouldn't be my preferred choice, largely because I don't like him but to suggest he is an outright worse candidate to Favre/Fonseca is naive.

His record is arguably better than theirs. Don't fall into the romantics of an untested manager from aboard because that could go either way too.

I remember a clamour for Remi Garde.

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

I've seen this sentiment repeated a lot, but it's a big ask to just go out and win a world cup or a Euros like, they have some talent but haven't exactly been favourites going into any of the tournaments he's managed. 

His premier league record would be more concerning, but perhaps if you were giving him the benefit of the doubt, would be far enough into the past to look beyond now. 

Spot on. His Everton record wasn't terrible, they finished 5th under him, let's not forget.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Spot on. His Everton record wasn't terrible, they finished 5th under him, let's not forget.

And he won the cup with Wigan,even though they we're relegated,nobody would have kept them up in top Division.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Apart from Paul Jewell and Steve Bruce :lol:

Aye but they'd outstayed their welcome when Martinez was there.

As for Martinez at Belgium,I wonder if he'll bring Shaun Maloney with him if he came.

Ex Celtic and assistant at Belgium.... Sir Alex has said that he is an excellent coach who will go far in the game.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

While we are on Martinez, the over reaction to that possibility completely outweighs reality. Martinez wouldn't be my preferred choice, largely because I don't like him but to suggest he is an outright worse candidate to Favre/Fonseca is naive.

His record is arguably better than theirs. Don't fall into the romantics of an untested manager from aboard because that could go either way too.

I remember a clamour for Remi Garde.

I don't think it is though. Favre in particular has a good track record at most clubs he's managed and Fonseca has also shown the ability to raise the performance of a team beyond their expected standard, whereas Martinez had Wigan pretty much where they'd expect to be (battling relegation) and would often spend large parts of the season in relegation places until a sporadic 5 games blitz of form. OK, he won an FA Cup but I wouldn't judge a manager's career solely on one cup tournament. Then by all accounts he benefitted greatly from a defence that was well set by his predecessor at Everton and undid that in the following season. The final point is that you can't judge a managers ability on their international record due to the vast difference in quality of opposition teams play. His biggest achievement with that squad is a Semi final with one of the best squads in international football. 

Mirror going with the Emery line - and not quoting another article crucially https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-new-manager-unai-emery-25352368

Newcastle plan to announce their new manager this week with Unai Emery emerging as the latest leading contender.

Ex-Arsenal boss Emery, who lifted the Europa League last season with Villareal, has been one of the few names to gain support across the ownership structure.

Others, including Paulo Fonseca, Roberto Martinez and Lucien Favre and Eddie Howe, have all split opinion.