Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Howe is gambling on the second half of the season. Such tactics are targeting to get three points from the likes of Watford Burnley etc instead of getting one point from the likes of Leicester Tottenham. You may agree or disagree with his approach but I do think he is sacrificing the whole December in order to train up our players from the very basics.

1 hour ago, Zero said:

Howe is gambling on the second half of the season. Such tactics are targeting to get three points from the likes of Watford Burnley etc instead of getting one point from the likes of Leicester Tottenham. You may agree or disagree with his approach but I do think he is sacrificing the whole December in order to train up our players from the very basics.

I have to agree with this , EH today should at least set them up for a point which was clearly on offer . Yet the players , yes the players need to look at themselves here , we know EH is trying , we know he gives everything but this lot sulk like fuck when behind . I don’t envy the task in the next 3 games , I may disappear till Jan 1st [emoji38]

There is doubt that many of the players are not good enough, if we are talking about Joelinton as if he's the next Rivaldo on the back of a few performances where he didn't score or assist anything it shows how far our standards have slipped, he needs to learn quick and make sure he is ready for January, the main problem is the midfield, we don't have any control of the game and are counting mostly on a ball over the top to come through or something special from Saint Maximin, yesterday we we honestly played like amateurs and a poor Leicester side won easily because they had good players in the middle of the park.

5 hours ago, Zero said:

I’ve some sympathy for this take - and the number of times I read that we need ‘champions league’ form to survive after December is irritating; it assumes that we need 40 points.  We don’t; we need more than three other teams, and that is likely to be low-30s.  34 is probably enough; 36 definitely.  If we can get to January on, say, 15 points (a big ask), then we would only need a point a game to get to 34, or 1.1 to get to 36.   1.1 points per game is a 42-point season.  Hardly requires us to pull up many trees going forward.  This assumes, of course, that Watford, Burnley and Norwich don’t suddenly start tearing teams apart between now and Jan.  I’m willing to bet that they won’t b

Yes he did well at Bournemouth, but quite a few have taken teams up and then bang...His time at Burnley was poor(maybe circumstances).

Personally think he is a tad overrated,and wouldn't have been my choice.

But beggars can't be choosers,and I wish him well,but don't think the transfer market will make much difference to be honest.

I know it’s not always fair to look at records with other clubs. As circumstances will be different, with different players. But didn’t he have a really bad away record at Bournemouth? 

Admittedly it is still early days for him and we have played Arsenal and Leicester in his two away games. But both have been pretty crap. I mean it’s been crap for ages, so I guess not much has changed there. But we are going to need a good few away wins to get us to safety. So Everton and Southampton away now look massively important, the same as the Norwich and Burnley games.  

Still really like him and given time. I think he’ll do well here. Even if we go down. 

Something not right in the balance. We lacked some threat on the counter and were not making the right decisions in the final third.

ASM has become a liability, despite being the one player who can unlock a defence.

I said before the game we should have gone 343, with Fernandes coming in. We would have had better balance.

The whole team was totally dysfunctional yesterday. No real rhythm or strategy to our attacks, gaping holes in the midfield, no defined gameplan in terms of how to get the ball forward or how we should press when out of possession. The defence was all over the place and the eleven who finished the game was a total mish-mash. It was an absolute car-crash tbh, which is why I think you're pretty much blaming symptoms if you criticise any one player. Of course, individual errors deserve flack but I don't think anyone - eg ASM - really let us down in particular; it was all one big shitshow and I couldn't see how anyone was expected to really perform, when the system was non-existent and no one played well individually. 

Christ knows what went wrong because we started the game brightly and they looked nervous. But as soon as our very early momentum dissipated we were out of the game completely in any meaningful sense. 

Really worrying performance tbh and it goes without saying that we're going to get absolutely annihilated in the next two unless there are significant improvements to literally every aspect of our play.

11 hours ago, Awaymag said:

Wow, 24 hours ago and Howe was god like.  One performance later and people start to question his philosophy and approach.   Tough Crowd.  I wasn't expecting a win today and I expect none in the next 3.   If I was Howe, I would go with

Dubs

Manquillo, Shar, Lascelles, Ferdandez, Lewis

Fraser, Hayden, Shelvey, Joelinton

Wilson,

I would also have Gayle start a game and rest Wilson 

Willock, St Max brought on as subs if we are drawing or need to get a goal back.

Problem Howe has is Lascelles is crap but is also the captain.  Would be a brave man to drop the captain so soon but if he does then go back to back 4.

I think it's more his adaptability that is in question. Sure e has an  attractive philosophy, but if you don't have the personnel you need to be able to do something else. you might make a mean apple pie, but if life gives you lemons...

25 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I think it's more his adaptability that is in question. Sure e has an  attractive philosophy, but if you don't have the personnel you need to be able to do something else. you might make a mean apple pie, but if life gives you lemons...

The thing is though, we've seen this team setup to be defensive and we hadn't won a single game this season with that approach.

Far more likely to survive if they continue to drill the team on using the ball better and being more confident going forward as ultimately that should pay off against the teams we should be beating.

Edited by KaKa

For me, the worst part about yesterday was the damage to the goal difference. Once that 2nd goal went in we should have changed our approach. At that point, despite how 'even' the match appeared the last thing we needed was further damage to our already shite GD. 

Looking at our next few fixtures I think he'd be better off taking the caution is the better part of valor approach. If we're going to lose, which, judging by yesterday's capitulation, seems highly bloody likely, then losing 1-0 is infinitely better than losing 4/5/6-0/1. 

I'm all for playing it his way until the tide turns and our defence goes AWOL again at which point it really needs to be damage limitation. 

End of the season a few goals here and there could make all the difference. 

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

The thing is though, we've seen this team setup to be defensive and we hadn't won a single game this season with that approach.

Far more likely to survive if they continue to drill the team on using the ball better and being more confident going forward as ultimately that should pay off against the teams we should be beating.

When? When did we see this team set up with a plan?

For all this talk of GD a team hasn’t been relegated because of that since 07/08 when Reading went down right? There is a case for using these coming games as a free hit for Howe and his staff to try and get us playing again regardless of results. That could make the difference after this hellish run of games when the opponents will be much easier on paper. 

3 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Top managers need to be flexible and adaptable and find solutions. Howe wasn't when he was at Bournemouth and so far there is no sign that he will be here. 

Don’t know about that - we’ve shifted players, formation and tactics in his five (?) games. He’s changed formation in-game and tried different players in a variety of roles. Is that not flexible and adaptable?

The problem is that no matter what formation we play, there are at least three glaring holes where we have to play substandard players, or players out of position…

I think we're still trying to find the correct balance between defence and attack. For me, after Brentford, we've gone into our shells a bit, sat a bit deeper and generally tried to be more compact. While that is important, we've sometimes been toothless going forward, particularly against Arsenal and Leicester.

Of course it hasn't helped that our main man in transition has been incredibly frustrating, but Howe is still tweaking and trying to find the correct approach. Given he inherited a squad with poor fitness, that did no pressing or any kind of tactical drills, its understandable.

21 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

When? When did we see this team set up with a plan?

Well, the previous approach has mostly been sitting in deep. If you're saying that it was done without any proper organisation or sense of how to counter from that setup, then that's fair enough.

Ultimately though, I think this team needs more work continuing to work on being more effective with the ball, and playing the way Howe wants to, as that will be better for us when we go up against more beatable teams.

Actually looks to me like he is working on the defensive shape and structure first. If anything, that’s where you can see differences. 

Under Bruce we weren’t really ‘defensive’ in the sense that a manager had a plan for how to defend and structure the team. It was just negativity plus desperation. 

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Actually looks to me like he is working on the defensive shape and structure first. If anything, that’s where you can see differences. 

He's picking fullbacks in their correct positions which is a start, but playing Clark/Lascelles ahead of Fernandez and also the insistence on the Shelvey-Willock 2 in midfield is leaving us horribly exposed. Not so sure I can see this work taking shape just yet.

Feel like we see so many managers go into bottom half teams and immediately make a noticeable positive impact and whilst Howe is clearly doing more behind the scenes and is good in front of the cameras, I've not seen it yet at all. Appreciate the comparison is maybe unfair as we're talking about 14 years of neglect versus maybe a few months of shit performances at another club, but I was underwhelmed when he was appointed and that hasn't changed any for me yet.

This metric is both a positive and a negative. One one side it's Howe's effect and getting us further up the pitch. The negative(s) is that we're having that many touches in the box and not fashioning anything clear cut and that the opposition only needed 15 touches in the box to score 4 against us.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

People need to understand we have a shit squad who have no right to remain in the Premier League as it stands. This isn't a manager with an underperforming team, it's a disjointed, incoherent outfit by nature. January is the only hope of them staying up. Everything before that is just mood music. Might as well make the music sweet rather than sour shit in the mean time.

6 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

This metric is both a positive and a negative. One one side it's Howe's effect and getting us further up the pitch. The negative(s) is that we're having that many touches in the box and not fashioning anything clear cut and that the opposition only needed 15 touches in the box to score 4 against us.

About 30 were probably ASM... 

Make of that what you will too. :thup:

Edited by Heron