Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

4 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

What’s he said regarding the penalty decision? Anything been said yet?

"We conceded a poor second goal, there were some contentious moment, the Ryan Fraser incident was a baffling one and unsure how it is not a penalty. I am not too sure what happened with VAR and the referee, the goalkeeper wipes out Ryan and it is a stonewaller, a clear penalty."

40 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Same squad has comfortably stayed us last two seasons, with a worse manager in charge.

This squad is no worse than anyone in the bottom half bar Everton.

This is true only if you have already assumed that other clubs didn't improve their squads and yours didn't age or decline.

2 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Howe gets next season for me, wherever that is, unless our owners perform a miracle and get a world class manager to come here, which I don't see happening until we have a better long term outlook.  I trust Howe to come good, once he's given the resources, playing staff needed to execute his style of play. 

Don't understand how anyone can arrive at this judgement on such a small sample size of games + the evidence of what we've seen so far. The jury is out, he'll be judged on his ability to keep us up. 

Edited by Barnes23

3 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

We hated Bruce as soon his name was mentioned, mate. :lol: 

We knew he couldn't do the job from the off lol, Howe has big potential but a real shitty situation to start from.

I reckon it's too early to judge - we have looked better than under Bruce but I do think it's hard to implement his style without time - plus 70 percent of the players are gash - I watched Man city Leeds and it was nowt like today - we competed without being competitive - get some better players in and I think it can change pretty quick

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I think in terms of defending as a unit we've looked a lot better, particularly since he brought Lewis and Manquillo in. The individual errors are killing us though.

That’s not a better defensive unit. That’s a natural byproduct of using two defenders as full backs rather than two wingers.

We’ve looked calamitous every time the opposition comes into our third.

Just now, Thumbheed said:

His management of the defence, in terms of selection and organisation, has been appaling and I don't see how anyone can see otherwise. 

So you're pissed he hasn't parked the bus? :lol: 

• He rightfully put in Lewis, who's played decently until he gets injured. 
  • Pulled Clark after his shit play against Norwich.
  • Has to rotate back to said shit player to avoid burn out of somewhat capable players

Most of our goals are boneheaded individual errors of players who clearly aren't cut out for the league. I'm appalled that you're appalled. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Haha, true but it looks bad on us to be wildly critical of Bruce and then not have any criticism of Howe

Yup, Howe will make mistakes and I feel he didn't prepare us as well as we should have been prepared for the Leicester match. There were points available for the taking and overall, he got it wrong.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I think in terms of defending as a unit we've looked a lot better, particularly since he brought Lewis and Manquillo in. The individual errors are killing us though.

Aye, I thought both today and Liverpool we actually looked like an actual team. Then a player does something mad like Willock galloping passed their fullback at 100mph into the centre circle allowing him to casually just walk towards our box.

Penalty changed the game vs Leicester, the same as our lack of one today effected the game. A good second goal from Leicester took the game away from us and Howe got it wrong by chasing it.

We tried to chase it vs Liverpool to a lesser degree and did so again today, but there has been improvement since Leicester and since Howe joined.

You can judge Howe and Bruce in a similar way, but they're both in very different situations. Bruce was grossly negligent this season, not like in the previous two when he had an axe to grind. He knew he eas untouchable under Ashley and his negligence has set us back 4months. What Howe needs, is a pre season primarily and then about 5 players. 

Still think he's the right guy. The last few games have been bizarre, they haven't been woeful performances or us getting overrun but the scorelines look like pastings. So many individual errors are costing us its untrue, the first goal today was fucking embarrassing. 

29 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

So you're pissed he hasn't parked the bus? :lol: 

• He rightfully put in Lewis, who's played decently until he gets injured. 
  • Pulled Clark after his shit play against Norwich.
  • Has to rotate back to said shit player to avoid burn out of somewhat capable players

Most of our goals are boneheaded individual errors of players who clearly aren't cut out for the league. I'm appalled that you're appalled. :lol: 

My concerns with Howe were and have always been he doesn't have a record of improving defences, which funnily enough is our weakest area and exactly what we need.  

So far, I've not seen anything to suggest I am wrong. 

As for team selection, he put Lewis in because Ritchie was suspended, Ritchie was 1st choice in all his games prior to suspension. (For someone who's analysed us for his interview, being unable to spot that Ritchie is poor and should not have been 1st choice is not a good sign)

Clarke was suspended, after Norwich and again should not have been selected in the first place. (We all know this)

Burn out? What burnout? We're not even half way through the season. 

Fernández has played one game for us, inspite of clearly being our best defender. (Again, something which everyone should agree on)

Shelvey and Willock have played the most games together, again, inspite of them both being defensively poor leaving massive gaps through the centre. 

None of what I've said is new to any us. I'm not saying anything which isn't a shared opinion for the majority of us, which, which makes it more frustrating that after a year off to reflect on his own weaknesses - and ours - he's still seemingly not addressed our defence in any meaningful manner and keeps making the most basic of mistakes.

Ultimately though, whatever defence you have of Howe is applicable to Bruce, so blaming the quality of the players just won't cut it.

Edited by Thumbheed

25 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

His management of the defence, in terms of selection and organisation, has been appaling and I don't see how anyone can say otherwise. 

The goals have mostly been individual errors, not so much poor management. On the other hand, he's made a midfielder out of Joelinton, that's not happening if you've got Bruce still in charge. 

Don’t even think he has had a bad start in all honesty, the Leicester game the only real bad result we have had under him , would have beaten Norwich easily if it wasn’t for Clarke getting sent off , beat Burnley , Deserved to beat Brentford , Arsenal Man City and Liverpool were always write offs , next month will tell us where we are really at.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

The goals have mostly been individual errors, not so much poor management. On the other hand, he's made a midfielder out of Joelinton, that's not happening if you've got Bruce still in charge. 

We've conceded 11 games in 3 games.

How many individual errors are you seeing that I'm not?

Edited by Thumbheed

7 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

My concerns with Howe were and have always been he doesn't have a record of improving defences, which funnily enough is our weakest area and exactly what we need.  

So far, I've not seen anything to suggest I am wrong. 

As for team selection, he put Lewis in because Ritchie was suspended, Ritchie was 1st choice in all his games prior to suspension. (For someone who's analysed us for his interview, being unable to spot that Ritchie is poor and should not have been 1st choice is not a good sign)

Clarke was suspended, after Norwich and again should not have been selected in the first place.

Burn out? What burnout? We're not even half way through the season. 

Fernández has played one game for us, again, inspite of clearly being our best defender. 

Shelvey and Willock have played the most games together, again, inspite of them both being defensively poor leaving massive gaps through the centre. 

None of what I've said is new to any us. I'm not saying anything which isn't a shared option of the majority which makes it more frustrating that after a year off to reflect on his own weaknesses - and ours - he's still seemingly not addressed our defence in any meaningful manner.

Ultimately though, whatever defense you have of Howe is applicable to Bruce, so blaming the quality of the players just won't cut it.

The majority of your post is reasonable I think until that last paragraph. Whilst the lack of quality of the players can be attributed to both, the lack of fitness and coordination can only be applied to one. Bruce was grossly negligent prior to his departure and we're in a whole shittier predicament than when Bruce joined. Bruce was his own enemy. 

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

The majority of your post is reasonable I think until that last paragraph. Whilst the lack of quality of the players can be attributed to both, the lack of fitness and coordination can only be applied to one. Bruce was grossly negligent prior to his departure and we're in a whole shittier predicament than when Bruce joined. Bruce was his own enemy. 

Yeh agree with the point about fitness, but to counter that, fitness levels are now up and we're still defensively disorganised and uncoordinated. 

I haven't made my mind up in Howe and was actually excited by his appointment, but I'm judging him on things that are in his gift to change and so far, he doesn't seem to be making the impact I'd hoped. 

6 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

We've conceded 11 games in 3 games.

How many individual errors are you seeing that I'm not?

Quite a few, there was two today, and the other two were down to not having proper full backs. If you were in charge, what would you do differently? 

Just now, Thumbheed said:

Yeh agree with the point about fitness, but to counter that, fitness levels are now up and we're still defensively disorganised and uncoordinated. 

I haven't made my mind up in Howe and was actually excited by his appointment, but I'm judging him on things that are in his gift to change and so far, he doesn't seem to be making the impact I'd hoped. 

I think we press better, and higher. The problem we have is the lack of quality/correct personnel in positions/style he wants to play. Dare I say it, a Mo Diame type of player is probably what's needed, or maybe more than one. We lack a degree of dynamism and above all else our decision making is shocking. Even going forward...