Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Heron said:

I think we press better, and higher. The problem we have is the lack of quality/correct personnel in positions/style he wants to play. Dare I say it, a Mo Diame type of player is probably what's needed, or maybe more than one. We lack a degree of dynamism and above all else our decision making is shocking. Even going forward... 

We're definitely more intense but again, I think some of our closing down can be quite disjointed and  uncoordinated. 

Agree with everything else tbf, I've said in another thread that I'd actually love to defend like we did under Keegan; with better attacking players who know how to manage the ball and therefore don't give opposition the oppurtunity to build  chances against us.

The other thing we can be certain of, that unlike many people we've had managing this club in the last 14 years, he's giving his absolute all to this job.

He's working fucking hard to try and bail out a ship that was more than half sunk

13 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

We've conceded 11 games in 3 games.

How many individual errors are you seeing that I'm not?

Seven of those against Liverpool and City who are absolutely lightyears ahead of everyone bar maybe Chelsea. Three of those were individual errors that gifted them goals.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Yes I’ve always been of the opinion that individual errors on a consistent basis are coaching deficiencies. Like I said I like Howe I’m just trying to remain objective on it 

I’ve said it for a few weeks but I think the reason is relatively clear.

Trying to get our players to play it out from the back, puts us under unnecessary pressure and increases the risk of individual errors.

They panic, which causes an already low on confidence team to be unsettled even further.

If you’re asking them to do things they don’t understand, they’re too busy trying to think of a million things rather than the basics and the end result is brain farts like today.

They’re not good enough and don’t have the right skillset to play this style, it’s why they were much more effective under Rafa’s defensive set up. Get the ball and play it forward quickly, countering.

You do have to remain objective but I guess, what I'd argue is what had the expectancy been from these last 3 games in particular, and then to add, how do people feel we'd have got better results from those 3.

I'm of the view that the penalty decision(s) vs Leicester and Man City and the lack of stopping play for Liverpools first change the initial dynamic of all 3 fixtures. Where Howe had got it wrong for me is in that, he had chased the games at 2 down. However, in all honesty, is that a bad trait? I mean, I'd expect to chase the game at 2 down vs anyone other than day the top 6.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Seven of those against Liverpool and City who are absolutely lightyears ahead of everyone bar maybe Chelsea. Three of those were individual errors that gifted them goals.

And once you go behind to teams of that quality, they are going to kill you when you are chasing the game. Leicester was the one really bad performance, and even there we got done by bad refereeing. 

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Quite a few, there was two today, and the other two were down to not having proper full backs. If you were in charge, what would you do differently? 

I suppose it boils down to what degree you class a mistake as a mistake, and yeh I suppose there has been a few more clear errors BUT ultimately, the vast majority of goals are as a result of a mistake, no? 

I'd select my best defenders, I'd put more thought into which CM are going to provide the best protection for our frail defence and I'd take a leaf out the books of managers who are all able to coach a well drilled defence and make it greater than the sum of it's part. 

3 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

We're definitely more intense but again, I think some of our closing down can be quite disjointed and  uncoordinated. 

Agree with everything else tbf, I've said in another thread that I'd actually love to defend like we did under Keegan; with better attacking players who know how to manage the ball and therefore don't give opposition the oppurtunity to build  chances against us.

I think that's partially a coaching issue, but largely more down to incorrect personnel.

I think with fresh legs and more importantly frrsh minds, you'll see us push back a lot more and we'll stop teams getting at us as much. 

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Tbf, that stat was in response to a point made about mistakes being the reason we're conceding where as I was taking the wider view that Howe has selected poorly and not seemingly improved our organisation. 

2 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

I suppose it boils down to what degree you class a mistake as a mistake, and yeh I suppose there has been a few more clear errors BUT ultimately, the vast majority of goals are as a result of a mistake, no? 

I'd select my best defenders, I'd put more thought into which CM are going to provide the best protection for our frail defence and I'd take a leaf out the books of managers who are all able to coach a well drilled defence and make it greater than the sum of it's part. 

Which best defenders could he have selected today? Schar was the only option I'm guessing, and he's been making ricks as well if we are honest. 

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

Tbf, that stat was in response to a point made about mistakes being the reason we're conceding where as I was taking the wider view that Howe has selected poorly and not seemingly improved our organisation. 

Fair enough. Leading up to Leicester, the defensive numbers were getting much better, game on game. Following that we were naive at Leicester and played the best two-sided in the league. I'd argue the organisation is improving.

We need that game vs Cambridge and we need a few decent points at Southampton and Everton. Confidence is low in the camp, and for me, we now need leaders - not ones that just shout, but ones that show that extra quality and responsibility. Coloccini style rather than Lascelles style, for example.

The Fed issue was odd and it would have been interesting to see if he would have picked him instead of Clark today given the choice.

Schar was clearly rested - Howe did mention there was a limited recovery after the Liverpool game.

Think we will learn a lot more about Howe after the Man U game. It's the teams around the bottom we have to perform against, if we don't get that right, then there is nowhere to hide. But I think we'll do okay. 

I like Howes philosophy and with the right players I think the football will be very good to watch.

What does concern me is the lack of any improvement in the defence. This has been laid at his door before as a weakness, the evidence so far suggests it’s not definitely not a strength.

Clearly the personnel has aged and regressed since Rafa had them drilled, however at times 3 centre half’s and protection in front of the back 4 have been required.

He’s got a free pass at the moment, but I think the pressure will ramp up if we still look a disorganised shambles at the back after January signings.

Two things that worry me:

1) Howe needed suspensions and injuries to play his best back line - for precisely one game

2) there has been no ‘bounce’.  I’d put my house on Bruce getting pretty much precisely the same results (he was also drawing home games against shite teams - at some point, you’ll scrape a win doing that)

Longer term, I’d take Howe over Bruce every time of course.  But my expectations were low and they’ve been matched, so far.  The clangers dropped today are similar to the ones dropped for weeks on end - at some point, you question what’s happening in training.  And anyone selecting Clark - ever, under any circumstances - is open to questioning. 

If he's going to continue to select players who are consistently letting him down every game then eventually he needs to have a word with himself and drop the fuckers. He's inherited a shitshow, we all know this, but he's picking the teams now, he's responsible for subs, formations and tactics etc as it's his job now. I'm still 100% behind him obviously but his starting XIs are not helping him at all. He either finds an immediate solution or he buys one in the next 3 weeks. 

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

Which best defenders could he have selected today? Schar was the only option I'm guessing, and he's been making ricks as well if we are honest. 

Tbf, when I made my original post I talking generically, not just today. 

But to answer your question, yes, Schär should have started today instead of Clarke. Which kind of reaffirms my view that Howe is making mistakes with his selections, because as you say, it was literally the only decision he could possibly make for today's defence and still got that wrong imo. 

Edited by Thumbheed

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Not sure how anyone could manage us for 7 games and still pick Clark.

Big Jow about the only player to improve under him so far, which is quite disappointing.

People can blame individual errors, but most of those are only happening because Howe keeps picking the players creating those problems.

A big few weeks coming up. I’m hopeful he’ll start to get it right, but it’s been pretty poor so far.

Because if he had picked Schar there was a big risk that Clark might play the next 2-3 games.

2 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Tbf, when I made my original post I talking generically, not just today. 

But to answer your question, yes, Schär should have started today instead of Clarke. Which kind of reaffirms my view that Howe is making mistakes with his selections, because as you say, it was literally the only decision he could possibly make for today's defence and still got that wrong imo. 

Not really given Schar was absolutely on his knees against Liverpool, and we barely had any recovery time. Can bet the various sports scientists we have where saying he needed resting.

Personally I'd rather Clark be played in this one game then Schar getting injured and Clark having to be played in our winnable games.

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

Well, it was either medical advice or because he wanted to play Clarke.

Not sure how much more wiggle room we can give Howe on that. 

He's played Schar in every game since he came in like, and called him "his perfect centre-back" think it's pretty obvious which one it is.