Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Not sure how he can organize a defense with the quality this bad and the injuries we have too. But go on. Tell me what he could do differently. Krafth and hurt Schar in? Same score line. 

But he has absolutely no track record of being able to organise a defence with any team. I know a few Burnley fans and they are scathing of his ability to organise a team defensively.

6 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

But he has absolutely no track record of being able to organise a defence with any team. I know a few Burnley fans and they are scathing of his ability to organise a team defensively.

Maybe we should bring Mark Lawrenson back as defensive coach..

Edited by HawK
typo

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Not sure how he can organize a defense with the quality this bad and the injuries we have too. But go on. Tell me what he could do differently. Krafth and hurt Schar in? Same score line. 

You can absolutely coach a defence beyond the sum of its parts. We've seen that over and over and over again in football. 

As for the lack of quality, well, doesn't that same argument stand up for Bruce? It shouldn't, but if you're saying the defenders have never been good enough, that these kind of performances are to be expected and that there's nothing Howe can do about it, then why did Bruce get such a hammering for our shit defence and what was Howe's plan when it came to addressing our biggest weakness? Wait till January?

All I'm looking for is signs of cohesion and coordination and I haven't seen that so far. Couple that with some strange selections and I think it's a worthy point of discussion. 

Edited by Thumbheed

5 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

This is my major concern with Howe and I’d hoped during his time out of the game he’d have looked at this.

Early days though and it’s hard to argue that he’s working with a pile of shite presently. If we still look bad after investment though, his job will be on the line simple as that.

We can only assume the new owners will have deals lined up for January 1st or soon after.

He’s got to work with this shower of cabbage fodder for another few games so he has to be tactful about it.

As soon as replacements are lined up, expect a total clear out, loans etc.. it will be brutal.. anything to get the core of this absolute dross out of our changing room. We all know who. If you can’t change their mentality, just flog them.

Lascelles will also have to be sold, you can’t have a club captain essentially training with the kids or being used as backup, bad for morale etc.

1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

You can absolutely coach a defence beyond the sum of its parts. We've seen that over and over and over again in football. 

As for the lack of quality, well, doesn't that same argument stand up for Bruce? It shouldn't, but if you're saying the defenders have never been good enough, that these kind of performances are to be expected and that there's nothing Howe can do about it, then why did Bruce get such a hammering for our shit defence and what was Howe's plan when it came to addressing our biggest weakness? Wait till January?

All I'm looking for is signs of cohesion and coordination and I haven't seen that so far. Couple that with some strange selections and I think it's a worthy point of discussion. 

Sounds like a Mackem WUM.

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

My earlier post literally answers all of your points here. These same players looked like a solid defensive unit under Rafa. 

“I’ve said it for a few weeks but I think the reason is relatively clear.

Trying to get our players to play it out from the back, puts us under unnecessary pressure and increases the risk of individual errors.

They panic, which causes an already low on confidence team to be unsettled even further.

If you’re asking them to do things they don’t understand, they’re too busy trying to think of a million things rather than the basics and the end result is brain farts like today.

They’re not good enough and don’t have the right skillset to play this style, it’s why they were much more effective under Rafa’s defensive set up. Get the ball and play it forward quickly, countering.”

you are harping back to 2-3 years ago.  Those same players have stayed at NUFC and got older, slower.  Also other teams have improved - jesus christ man, Brentford who came up last year are better than what we have.

If you’re asking them to do things they don’t understand, they’re too busy trying to think of a million things rather than the basics and the end result is brain farts like today.   Sorry but that's crap.  All 4 goals are so basic, I could understand your point of view if Howe had made them take a leap of faith.    Since when can a keeper not make a pass of 5 yards to a defender, as its too complicated.  Since when does a defender not head that ball clear but think, no I will duck here because Howe has asked me to do complicated things like, dont get sent off this time!

I could go on but its pointless.  Sell the fucking lot for 1p each, just get rid of them.  Gayle can go for free!

1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

I get what you are saying but we are getting absolutely hammered by individual mistakes so early in games.   I dont think we have looked too bad organisation wise but when you have these individual mistakes, which for NUFC always lead to goals, then no amount of organisation is going to help that.

10 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

I get what you are saying but we are getting absolutely hammered by individual mistakes so early in games.   I dont think we have looked too bad organisation wise but when you have these individual mistakes, which for NUFC always lead to goals, then no amount of organisation is going to help that.

Aye thats fair. I seem to remember the same thing happening with Rafa before things clicked. 

No idea how he managed it but defo rings a bell. Willing to wait and see how we get in with new signings but there's nowt wrong with making the observations beforehand. 

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

My earlier post literally answers all of your points here. These same players looked like a solid defensive unit under Rafa. 

“I’ve said it for a few weeks but I think the reason is relatively clear.

Trying to get our players to play it out from the back, puts us under unnecessary pressure and increases the risk of individual errors.

They panic, which causes an already low on confidence team to be unsettled even further.

If you’re asking them to do things they don’t understand, they’re too busy trying to think of a million things rather than the basics and the end result is brain farts like today.

They’re not good enough and don’t have the right skillset to play this style, it’s why they were much more effective under Rafa’s defensive set up. Get the ball and play it forward quickly, countering.”

I loved Benitez here but this core group of players looked worse under him than Howe, at times. 

Howe is working to build a different legacy and is learning about this squad. I honestly don't buy that a defensive manager would have come in and make all that much difference to this team from a points gaining perspective this season - the squad is incredibly stale and looks weary after years of scraping by. We tried being uber defensive a few years ago and didn't win our first 10 games or whatever. Things only really changed when we were able to defend from the front more and had an outlet in Rondon.

We need quality new players and we need them quickly. It's a pathetic indictment of our central midfield, perhaps the most important position in today's domestic game, that our best one at present is a failed striker.

We were well in that game in the first half and I actually thought we played very well despite the score line. That was the first time against this lot that we haven’t just been parking the bus for the whole game and hanging on for dear life. That being said, we keep giving absolutely shit goals away and unless that stops, we have no chance of staying up

20 minutes ago, sh74 said:

Eddie Howe has been here for 5 minutes man and he’s getting criticism all ready off some fans. Give the bloke a chance man.

The coaching side of things can take a backseat for now, I agree it can take time for methods to bed in (time we don't have), and I'm happy to see how we get on in time but I don't think his judgement gets the same pass, because at the end of the day its his judgement which has lead him to play Ritchie over Lewis, Clark over any other defender and even Murphy ahead of Manquillo, all whilst failing to pick our best defender. These aren't minority opinions, they're observations the entire fanbase has been making for the past 3 years. 

Of course I'm desperate for him to succeed, but he does not have the time or scope to make mistakes, let alone repeat them. 

10 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

The coaching side of things can take a backseat for now, I agree it can take time for methods to bed in (time we don't have), and I'm happy to see how we get on in time but I don't think his judgement gets the same pass, because at the end of the day its his judgement which has lead him to play Ritchie over Lewis, Clark over any other defender and even Murphy ahead of Manquillo, all whilst failing to pick our best defender. These aren't minority opinions, they're observations the entire fanbase has been making for the past 3 years. 

Of course I'm desperate for him to succeed, but he does not have the time or scope to make mistakes, let alone repeat them. 

I think Lewis is injured and so is Fede,Shar isn’t fit enough from what I hear. There’s a lot of games at the minute and he’s trying to rotate a shit squad . Let’s get to January and hopefully bring some players in and see how he does with a half decent team.

6 minutes ago, sh74 said:

I think Lewis is injured and so is Fede,Shar isn’t fit enough from what I hear. There’s a lot of games at the minute and he’s trying to rotate a shit squad . Let’s get to January and hopefully bring some players in and see how he does with a half decent team.

Tbf I meant his selections throughout his time as manager but, but yeh thats fair enough. 

Just hoping for a massive January, nervous as fuck about it already. 

6 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Tbf I meant his selections throughout his time as manager but, but yeh thats fair enough. 

Just hoping for a massive January, nervous as fuck about it already. 

So that's like 6 games or something similar? FFS :lol:

He's been here for a month. Benitez in his first 6 games started Steve Taylor in 4 of them. He's still learning about this squad and even still, the options are woeful. Going to use the knife and fork analogy again, Howe is like a brain surgeon needing to do complicated surgery but he only has a knife and fork to work with. Saying he should use his knife and fork in a slightly different way is still probably going to result in a dead patient.

We've improved tactically under him tenfold and clear plans can be seen. Individual errors and cunt referees are just fucking us in the arse time and time again. Once January comes and if we're still in touch, we'll be reet.