Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 hours ago, Adam said:

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/22443-steven-gerrard/page/661/#comment-3860211

Big difference is Eddie is a coach, he's constantly improving the players we have and they all fit within the game plan he creates. Hilarious how poorly people rate Targett and Burn mind, they're both outstanding defenders who will only get better under Eddie and his staff. 

I don't think many people underrate them tbh, if anything most were questioning why we needed to target defnders or goal keepers as summer signings. Do we regret signing Botman though?  Nah, he's class, like Bruno he'll prove it over the season. So will Pope I'm sure, even though I think Dubravka is one of the best keepers in the Premier.

25 minutes ago, 54 said:

As always, that's just the perfect answer really. First and foremost, he seems to be just a top class bloke, one I'd love to sit down and have a chat about football with. Put his hard work and commitment along with his style of play on top of that and he's one of the most likeable people in football IMO. So, so happy he's our manager, just imagine if we actually become as class we were yesterday on a weekly basis man. 

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

Reminds me of a young Kevin Keegan…

“I want people to dream about their football club. They should, we should all be dreamers at heart. Some people are the opposite and say ‘we can’t do that’, but when you ask them why, they can’t give a reason. Well, I say, ‘Why not?’”

What I will also say is after hearing his comments regarding Ming's yesterday, I think he's bang out of order. He took the captaincy off him. Demoted him and has called him out within the space of a week. I'm not Ming's biggest fan but even I feel Gerrard has taken the piss with that. 

Comment from the Villa forum about Gerrard.

Compare this to how Eddie has handled the Lascelles situation. 

He's far more measured than Keegan though. Which is what I like about him. He shows fire, passion, and human side but he'll bottle it back up and show a calming sense of patience, measured comments. You almost get the best of Sir Bobby and Keegan in terms of personality. 

Villa have a good squad so there's really no excuse if they flop this season other than Gerrard being the reason. Be interesting to see how the media try and spin it if he gets the boot.

3 minutes ago, alexf said:

Villa have a good squad so there's really no excuse if they flop this season other than Gerrard being the reason. Be interesting to see how the media try and spin it if he gets the boot.

Similar to how they spun it with a Bruce 

On 08/08/2022 at 13:14, Joey47 said:

Comment from the Villa forum about Gerrard.

Compare this to how Eddie has handled the Lascelles situation. 

Funnily enough, the story in the mirror about this quotes Souness, the stupid cunt that turned Bellamy against him within seconds, warning against the perils of, em, throwing your weight around too much as a manager in the dressing room. 

Few interesting bits from his presser:

• He feels we've got enough in midfield to cover Shelvey's absence currently but seems to be aware that another injury would put us in a bit of trouble. Effectively says Bruno will continue as the "6", with Longstaff as a backup. It's in the back of his mind that we'll now need another midfielder and we will seemingly move if one becomes available.

• Is hoping there'll be some transfer movement in the next week or so and would love to bring in at least one more transfer.

• He's reluctant to let anybody else leave before he's able to bring in more players, so doesn't seem like there'll be any senior outgoings yet. (With Shelvey's injury, we're at 27 senior players currently.)

• The majority of young players are available for loan, apart from "a couple" who he wants to keep around for involvement in the first team.

• Lascelles is back in full training and available for selection.

• Wants to keep adding flair and style to our performances and feels a duty to supporters to provide entertaining football.

• Shelvey will be named in the squad, as it stands, but if there are any delays to his comeback then that might change. Howe won't make the decision on his contract.

• Lewis and Fernandez are back in training now. Lewis is looking good and Fede has just been gently introduced due to breaking down a couple of times previously, he's looked very good too.

• Krafth wasn't able to sprint due to feeling tightness in his back, but it should just be a short-term issue.

• He has talked to Southgate about Wilson, regarding a potential inclusion in the England squad, and speaks to Southgate on a regular basis.

• Would love Keegan to come in and speak to the players in the future, and he will be inviting him to do so in the future.

• No new injuries to report.

Saw this on Facebook just now but can't seem to verify the quotes elsewhere, so take with a pinch of salt.  Assume it is someone paraphrasing the press conference. 

Anyway I love owt like this me, it gets me :sweetjesus: at first glance. 

“Really trying to engage the current players with what’s gone on before & celebrate our past. To try & draw a connection. 

We showed them footage…to help create our own history.

This club can be successful in this league - we finished 2nd not so long ago. I’m not an expert so please don’t ask me questions(!) 

But in my position I need to have a certain knowledge. It’s also important the players know the club they’re playing for.”

The media in general seem to want to forget we were one of the top clubs in the country for a number of years, so it's nice to see Howe tapping into that. Especially since there are teams in the past that played with style and purpose, can definitely see it being inspiring to the current players.

Man if they got some of the players from the Keegan years to come in and talk about what it was like, that would be amazing. Next level if they got Keegan himself to come in and do it too 

:megusta:

Howe: "I spoke to the players this week about this club's past, about Kevin Keegan, to try & show them what the club has been. It's vital the players understand the club they're playing for. You don't want to live in the past, but use it to inspire a new future."
:smitten: