Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I've calmed down a bit now.  Think today owes an immeasurable amount to 2 players.  ASM and Pope. 

Call me a bed wetter or whatever, but I think we lose handsomely if those two aren't playing at a crazy high level.  Like, how often is ASM that efficient with his final third play?  Is Pope gonna pull off that many saves every time he faces 15 scoring opportunities?  Probably not.  

But then you can argue that Howe and the team got those performances.  

So I'm kinda saying that we could've played that system as well as today and without those 2 performances or a bit of luck, Man City score 4 or 5 and we get panned.

Doesn't mean it is the wrong approach.  It is absolutely the right approach for us moving forwards.  But that's what I was getting at early game saying he isn't pragmatic enough.  His way is very aggressive and very, very brave.  But it can mean we get battered.  Today, a lot went very right and you can see that he has done a lot with the players to increase those chances. 

Think we can expect similar results against the likes of Man City, Arsenal (this year), Liverpooland Spurs, but it can come unstuck and lose by loads.  

Once the playing squad improves, we'll be proper well set to go toe to toe with the top 4.  He's proven he can set a team up to play that way and reap rewards with more quality.

3 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

I've calmed down a bit now.  Think today owes an immeasurable amount to 2 players.  ASM and Pope. 

Call me a bed wetter or whatever, but I think we lose handsomely if those two aren't playing at a crazy high level.  Like, how often is ASM that efficient with his final third play?  Is Pope gonna pull off that many saves every time he faces 15 scoring opportunities?  Probably not.  

But then you can argue that Howe and the team got those performances.  

So I'm kinda saying that we could've played that system as well as today and without those 2 performances or a bit of luck, Man City score 4 or 5 and we get panned.

Doesn't mean it is the wrong approach.  It is absolutely the right approach for us moving forwards.  But that's what I was getting at early game saying he isn't pragmatic enough.  His way is very aggressive and very, very brave.  But it can mean we get battered.  Today, a lot went very right and you can see that he has done a lot with the players to increase those chances. 

Think we can expect similar results against the likes of Man City, Arsenal (this year), Liverpooland Spurs, but it can come unstuck and lose by loads.  

Once the playing squad improves, we'll be proper well set to go toe to toe with the top 4.  He's proven he can set a team up to play that way and reap rewards with more quality.

No offense as I can understand the sentiment, but the bit in bold, GOOD, i'm tired of us sitting deep and giving way to much respect to the opposition, we play our game, not  to theirs's.

Edited by 54

He's proving to be so much more than I could ever hope for. And to think I was frustrated when we missed out on Unai Emery. I'm way happier with how it's turned out. Howe will win something with us, I just feel he has it in him and we are perfect platform and moment. And he's a great man as well, huge respect for him.

For years, every time we played man city it has been like we are scared little boys who won a prize to get a go on a premier league game. Howe finally made us stand up and act like we are meant to be in this division and capable of competing in it. At long fucking last. 

Nah I see where you’re coming from mate, but I think he is prepared to risk some bad results (e.g. Spurs last year, when he admitted he was wrong also) for very good outcomes overall. He knows there’s enough in that team to fight back rather than be scared, even if it’s at risk of City scoring another. With Rafa also, difficult to do compare as he had a much weaker side, but the flip side of his tactics was failing to register a shot on target at home against a Fulham side that got relegated. 

16 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Can't post a contrasting opinion without some users getting pissy.  Haha

You're going on about him not being pragmatic enough yet we go toe to toe with them, get a much deserved draw and now you're bleating on that it would have 5 if Pope and ASM didn't play well.

Just enjoy it man

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

You're going on about him not being pragmatic enough yet we go toe to toe with them, get a much deserved draw and now you're bleating on that it would have 5 if Pope and ASM didn't play well.

Just enjoy it man

Tbf he said some very positive things about it being fantastic that we have 5 points from the first 3 games.

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Just enjoy it man

I think it hard to take the game in isolation and not think how it would play out 99/100 or whatever.  Yeah, enjoy the win today, but then also consider how it played out and think, "is it the best way to get results more often than not against that level of opposition?"  And I think maybe not.  That's all.  Think I can post my opinions and not have to happy clap every idea.

So yeah, I can hold these thoughts and also enjoy it.

Just now, David Edgar said:

I think it hard to take the game in isolation and not think how it would play out 99/100 or whatever.  Yeah, enjoy the win today, but then also consider how it played out and think, "is it the best way to get results more often than not against that level of opposition?"  And I think maybe not.  That's all.  Think I can post my opinions and not have to happy clap every idea.

So yeah, I can hold these thoughts and also enjoy it.

We didn't win today

If we sat back and played 5 at the back then we lose that game 99/100

We got it spot on leaving ASM high up allowing to exploit the spaces. He'd have not have been able to do that if we sat further back and he'd have to dribble an extra 10-15 yards

Edited by joeyt