Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

I personally think we'd be worse off if Rafa had been available when the takeover happened and we went for him

No chance whatsoever. With the backing from the owners and the fans Rafa would have shone too.

However, Eddie is a better fit IMO, because he's less rigid tactically, is a bit more relatable with the players, his style of football is also more attack minded, which inspires the crowd more.

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Just going to leave this here ... makes for absolutely fantastic reading right now.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10192591/Steven-Gerrard-Aston-Villa-perfect-fit-Newcastle-blew-chance-appointing-him.html

:yao:

Is he fucking tripping?

I mean by all means write an article explaining why you think Gerrard is a good fit for Villa, but to drag us into it is just lunacy.

"Aston Villa have won two of their last twelve premier league games. Both games were against teams that are no longer in the premier league. 

Aston Villa's win against Leicester at the start of December 2021 is the last time they beat a team that finished higher than 15th in last year's premier league table."

If the above is true, that terrible.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Is he fucking tripping?

I mean by all means write an article explaining why you think Gerrard is a good fit for Villa, but to drag us into it is just lunacy.

It was so pathetic :lol:

His incredulity at the thought we'd want to interview Gerrard was incredible :lol:

Even had a pop at the Howe signing saying it was underwhelming. Shocking article.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

It was so pathetic :lol:

His incredulity at the thought we'd want to interview Gerrard was incredible :lol:

Even had a pop at the Howe signing saying it was underwhelming. Shocking article.

I had to check the date as I felt sure it was 8 months old.

I am feeling rather smug after so many Villa fans were boasting about how much better Gerrard was back in November. Especially when it was at a time that we couldn’t buy a win. 

Gerrard will be gone by Xmas.

12 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I had to check the date as I felt sure it was 8 months old.

It was written November 2021. Still, the quality of writing is “sixth form essay on why you think Stevie G is the best.”. Best bit was when he implied that the number of fans welcoming a new manager was meaningful in any way whatsoever :cheesy:

Edited by Emotic

2 minutes ago, Emotic said:

It was written November 2021. Still, the quality of writing is “sixth form essay on why you think Stevie G is the best.”. Best bit was when he implied that the number of fans welcoming a new manager was meaningful in any way whatsoever :cheesy:

Ah right. I see that now. I looked at the wrong date.

Guest HTT II

I was intrigued by the idea of Gerrard as our potential manager when we were linked with him, although he was way down on any list of my preferred managers at the time. From what I gathered he had a decent team around him in terms of specific coaches, data analysts and other coaching people and he was the kind of man manager and motivator who didn’t do much of any coaching really. It worked for him at Rangers, where he did do a decent job.

But the SPL and PL are two different animals, one is a two team league and here, it’s so competitive and very unforgiving. On the surface he seems to have signed well at Villa, but it does scream a scattergun type approach and I’m not sure where some exactly fit nor does Gerrard seem to be able to put whatever playing style or tactics down to any great effect.

As we all know, when things don’t go right, all the man management and motivation in the world will not arrest a slide or turn around a bad situation and lead to success. We saw that with Roy Keane at SAFC and with Bruce here and it now appears Gerard’s man management is not so good, throwing Mings under the bus for example publicly. He basically comes across as a bit of an angry, it’s my way or the highway type manager, basically another British PFM.

A lot of my family are from Birmingham and some support Villa and they can’t stand him and think he’s another Bruce in the making  and want him out. They also don’t rate Digne, we’re pissed off they let Targget go and consider Coutinho a lazy bastard who goes missing and will continue to get away with it as he’s their marquee signing and Gerard’s mate basically.

I think they are in for a tough season and I’m so happy we have Eddie Howe as our manager and not someone like Gerrard or Lampard.

Guest HTT II
11 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Wonder if Poch would take the gig if Gerrard was binned?

My money would be on Rafa or Rodgers given who their CEO is and his links to them via LFC.

Loved rafa but could never really enjoyed it because the inevitable was always going to happen with Ashley was incharge.

Now we can dream under Howe without the fear of him walking because the owners don't share his ambitions . 

Guest HTT II

Howe for me is a far more modern manager in every way to Rafa, but tactically Rafa is as good as they come and Howe has a long way to go yet to show he’s as capable in that area, if he does, then he will become an elite manager.

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I was intrigued by the idea of Gerrard as our potential manager when we were linked with him, although he was way down on any list of my preferred managers at the time. From what I gathered he had a decent team around him in terms of specific coaches, data analysts and other coaching people and he was the kind of man manager and motivator who didn’t do much of any coaching really. It worked for him at Rangers, where he did do a decent job.

But the SPL and PL are two different animals, one is a two team league and here, it’s so competitive and very unforgiving. On the surface he seems to have signed well at Villa, but it does scream a scattergun type approach and I’m not sure where some exactly fit nor does Gerrard seem to be able to put whatever playing style or tactics down to any great effect.

As we all know, when things don’t go right, all the man management and motivation in the world will not arrest a slide or turn around a bad situation and lead to success. We saw that with Roy Keane at SAFC and with Bruce here and it now appears Gerard’s man management is not so good, throwing Mings under the bus for example publicly. He basically comes across as a bit of an angry, it’s my way or the highway type manager, basically another British PFM.

A lot of my family are from Birmingham and some support Villa and they can’t stand him and think he’s another Bruce in the making  and want him out. They also don’t rate Digne, we’re pissed off they let Targget go and consider Coutinho a lazy bastard who goes missing and will continue to get away with it as he’s their marquee signing and Gerard’s mate basically.

I think they are in for a tough season and I’m so happy we have Eddie Howe as our manager and not someone like Gerrard or Lampard.

Did he not demand his own team before signing. Surely any good, self-aware manager would insist on having the team that contributed to his successes.

The most damning thing I can say about Gerrard, is that I think Lampard is a better manager.

At least Lampard had the balls to swallow his pride and play more conservative at Everton. At least Lampard has had a galvanising effect on their club.

Gerrard has been given the keys to the bank and still can't get a tune out of them. I knew something was wrong when I saw that stupid narrow formation he employs.

Didn't he leave Buendia on the bench yesterday? Get a bid in Eddie.

19 minutes ago, STM said:

The most damning thing I can say about Gerrard, is that I think Lampard is a better manager.

I'd agree with that. It's very hard to take too much from the first game of the season, but Lampard walked into the harder job to start with. 

Despite having lost his best attacking player and working under restrictions, I think Everton gave a decent account of themselves yesterday, and might have had a point.

Not saying I rate either of them, mind, and the idea of appointing people based on their name alone seems daft. Though, I've a lot more respect for the way Rooney has tried to go about things.

In retrospect, it looks like our decision-makers got the Howe choice absolutely right, even if they had a slice of luck with not getting Emery. And also with Rafa not being an option then. Nothing against either of those two, but I've not been this invested in a manager since...well, before Ashley anyway.

Anyway, my first pick for the managerial sack race this year is the dislikeable Ralph Hasenhuttel. Think Gerard and Lampard will have a couple of streaky runs plus media mates to keep them safe for longer (like a certain Mr Bruce).

Edited by Abacus