Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

The decision to appoint Howe, over Gerrard or Lampard, is without doubt the best decision our owners could have made. Those two were the lazy choices, but we obviously put some thought into it. If every decision is taken with the same fastidiousness we'll be okay. Impatient, but okay.

Guest HTT II
32 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Did he not demand his own team before signing. Surely any good, self-aware manager would insist on having the team that contributed to his successes.

He did and got them, but he’s lost his main man.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Happinesstan said:

The decision to appoint Howe, over Gerrard or Lampard, is without doubt the best decision our owners could have made. Those two were the lazy choices, but we obviously put some thought into it. If every decision is taken with the same fastidiousness we'll be okay. Impatient, but okay.

Howe interviewed so well and give them a clear blueprint of how he would transform the club on and off the pitch, he’s Rafa like in his meticulous planning and his attention to detail.

Just now, HTT II said:

He did and got them, but he’s lost his main man.

8 months [probably less, I'm guessing] in, His main man walks away? Says it all if you ask me. I've genuinely no beef with Gerrard, or Lampard, I guess they're cursed in a way, with the media building them up. But, as @Abacus says, Rooney is demonstrating that you can go about things discreetly. I often forget he even exists.

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Howe interviewed so well and give them a clear blueprint of how he would transform the club on and off the pitch, he’s Rafa like in his meticulous planning and his attention to detail.

Aye. I guess Villa and Everton never had Howe as an option so didn't get to see what they could have won.

I've always hoped that one day, my club would appoint a really exceptional manager. Someone who could get individuals and a team to play way beyond their usual abilities. Nowadays, you need someone like that to win anything, because the big six have a huge financial advantage, and FFP makes it difficult to bridge the gap.

Well now I think we have one. I had a worry that some of the spirit and determination that took us out of trouble last season might be difficult to recover. That would be understandable, but yesterday, it was like nothing had changed. The momentum was still there.

The squad, on an individual basis, still doesn't look all that great to me. Howe is over-achieving on a scale we haven't seen before, and I don't think it's going to stop.

3 hours ago, David Edgar said:

The actual Aston Villa manager has left (Neil Critchley) to join Blackpool.  The new manager must not be as good.

Gerrard is just a face.

Eh, he's just brought Critchley in

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Eh, he's just brought Critchley in

He did a good job with Blackpool and seems highly rated, strange move to go from a manager to number 2.

2 hours ago, STM said:

The most damning thing I can say about Gerrard, is that I think Lampard is a better manager.

At least Lampard had the balls to swallow his pride and play more conservative at Everton. At least Lampard has had a galvanising effect on their club.

Gerrard has been given the keys to the bank and still can't get a tune out of them. I knew something was wrong when I saw that stupid narrow formation he employs.

Didn't he leave Buendia on the bench yesterday? Get a bid in Eddie.

Actually agree with this 100%.

Everton play with a lot more energy and are more interesting going forward. Lampard for the most part just seems to be naive defensively, which can be ironed out.

Gerrard's Villa just don't quite seem to be clicking, despite a really decent squad at his disposal.

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

No chance whatsoever. With the backing from the owners and the fans Rafa would have shone too.

However, Eddie is a better fit IMO, because he's less rigid tactically, is a bit more relatable with the players, his style of football is also more attack minded, which inspires the crowd more.

He’d have done a decent job I’m sure but not sure why we wouldn’t be worse off. Howe’s record is quite brilliant really. Rafa did great for us, but hardly showed he was world class then and his record since has shown he’s on the decline. Sure the defence would be solid, but not sure he’d transform the other players as effectively and make Joelinton a top class midfielder. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’d been argumentative and fallen out with players like ASM too. 

Don't see the need to go into hypotheticals about how Rafa would have done had we appointed him over Howe. 

He did a great job whilst we had him. He stuck with us in the Championship, and had he not done then promotion was by no means a certainty.

Turned us into a solid mid table prem team that was starting to show glimpses of being a top half team if we didn't have Ashley. Had the takeover happened at about that time I'm pretty sure he'd have took us places. And had we still been in the championship the takeover may never have happened. 

This time around we have Howe and he's had an exceptional start - long may it continue. 

If it does both can go down in our history books as managing greats for our club. Rafa is already there - Howe to be determined but the signs are good. 

6 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:
looks like Eddie Howe is a better manager and someone we should have went for 
Stevie needs to buck his ideas up, because he hasnt got a clue

I personally thought Howe was a poor appointment from Newcastle at the time given what had happened at Bournemouth and he'd been out of work for a year, how wrong was I. Didn't start so well there given they didn't win a game for months, but he's been a fantastic appointment and is getting far more out of their squad than Gerrard is out of ours. 

I still actually think we're better on paper than Newcastle, given they have Targett at LB and Dan Burn at CB. It's actually a disgrace how much more Howe is getting from his squad of players than the fraud Gerrard.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/22443-steven-gerrard/page/661/#comment-3860211

Big difference is Eddie is a coach, he's constantly improving the players we have and they all fit within the game plan he creates. Hilarious how poorly people rate Targett and Burn mind, they're both outstanding defenders who will only get better under Eddie and his staff. 

Edited by Adam

Yeah, Dan Burn is massively underrated. Especially overseas. A few of my Egyptian mates who support Man United and Everton respectively, were laughing at me when I seemed excited that we were buying him in January. 

53 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Yeah, Dan Burn is massively underrated. Especially overseas. A few of my Egyptian mates who support Man United and Everton respectively, were laughing at me when I seemed excited that we were buying him in January. 

It's ok, they've got Maguire and Keane.

This time last year we’d just been overrun by West Ham after taking an early lead. Steve Bruce was being Steve Bruce and we were clinging onto the hope of a takeover by a thread. The fitness in the squad was like amateur level. It was as grim as you could imagine.

Then this man came in and has sorted the whole mess out and is quickly turning us into a competitive side once again.

5 hours ago, McCormick said:

It’s his amazing work ethic that’s so endearing as well. Wants his team to work non-stop on the field and he leads by example through doing just that off it. I love the guy.

Frightens me at times. How consuming it must have been to turn individuals form completely around, to get the team playing really good football, to forge a team spirt, to improve results beyond recognition and to get the players this fit from the dreck that was inherited. 

I wouln't have it in me to carry myself well after that but he even does that too.

Edited by Wolfcastle