Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Yeah same here, WTF followed by "well, Eddie knows what he's doing so let's wait and see..."

Also maybe belongs in the Burn thread but I have been really impressed with him at LB, obviously he has been immense at CB but he really does a job at LB as well, seems 100% rock solid and he's tidy with the ball. If he doesn't get forward that's not really the worst thing in the world as it gives us some balance, with ASM being so attack minded and Trippier constantly getting forward from RB it's not terrible to have a more defensive minded player on the left.

Overall I think Targett starts ahead of him at but I have no issues at all when I see Burn run out on the left.

Regarding Burn it’s been pointed out before I think but when he plays LB we essentially move to a 3 CB system in possession with Trippier almost RM/RW and Miggy in field. It really works well

1 hour ago, NWMag said:

Regarding Burn it’s been pointed out before I think but when he plays LB we essentially move to a 3 CB system in possession with Trippier almost RM/RW and Miggy in field. It really works well

Aye.

image.thumb.png.556fdfde4960eff39c7c34e2b4a4c7e3.png

image.thumb.png.b5b858d774566dead837c355477fb4fa.png

It works really well and everyone looks like they know what they’re doing.

As much as I really really want Targett to start, the tactics of having Burn there and letting Tripps getting way forward bear out in the end at the moment. Once they get snuffed out I bet Targett will be back in quickish.

I know Yorkie singles out that NUFCTV interviewer for his shit questions and they are shit, but let's be honest, loads of them are like that.

The questions are often either the most basic 'do you think X will help you?' question that will be answered yes, or they're asking Howe to predict the future with hardly anything in between.

I can't get away with that other NUFCTV interviewer either like, feel a bit shan for saying it, but there's something proper off and false about him imo. 

On 03/10/2022 at 15:58, NWMag said:

Basically the same as Man City does with Walker at RB or Ake at LB with Cancelo on either side. Arsenal with Zinchenko and White.

Edit: I do think we've done more or less the same when Targett has been in the side too. You'll see from heat maps that Trippier always is more advanced than him. He do give us a bit more attacking fret in the side compared to Burn, so would prefer Targett there when fully fit.

Edited by Conjo

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I know Yorkie singles out that NUFCTV interviewer for his shit questions and they are shit, but let's be honest, loads of them are like that.

The questions are often either the most basic 'do you think X will help you?' question that will be answered yes, or they're asking Howe to predict the future with hardly anything in between.

I can't get away with that other NUFCTV interviewer either like, feel a bit shan for saying it, but there's something proper off and false about him imo. 

The really loud and over-familiar one? I agree. 

Source of Money and Saudi awareness:

The Directors and Owners Test ratified the owners and I have to put faith in that process. My job is to use that money and recruit the best players for Newcastle.

Love this answer, putting it right back on the premier league with their bullshit test. If you've ever listened to the football finance podcast you'll know they've let a horde of absolute scoundrels through that test so I love that he's obliquely calling that out and basically telling the people complaining to get fucked, all in the nicest way possible :angel:

I wish someone would ask him what he makes of Graeme Jones and what he's added to his coaching team. Genuine question, he obviously sees some value. Just interested to know what. (Bonus question would be does he feel he missed out by only having one of the Steves? (Harper))

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I worked in media for a long time here in the US and had to do loads of press conferences, and you're right - the questions are generally stupid. Most managers understand that their job is to communicate with the fans and the outside population and so they'll grab on to whatever sliver of an actual querstion exists, expand upon it for the purposes of a quote, and that's that. That's why you have so many "how important is it for you to ________________" or "how big is it for PLAYER X to get on the scoresheet" or some other obvious question. In a normal setting, the answer would be, "Are you stupid? What kind of dumbass question is that?" But because the journalists don't want to (or have been asked not to) ask seriously probing questions, and they know that the manager or player are very unlikely to give a legitimate answer, they ask something that fits within the framework of a piece they've already pre-written, in many cases. Might as well say "just talk about MIguel Almiron for a bit, I'm writing something about him and I need something from the manager, thanks"

I would always try to save my actual questions for situations in which I could speak individually to the coach or player, if at all possible, because I didn't want anyone else to know what I was working on, nor did I want them to get the quote I deserved. Many times that's impossible, so you do the best you can.

I love Howe in these press conferences, he's an expert at saying actual things while not saying anything that would be problematic for his team. That is very difficult to consistently achieve. He knows the aims of the press, he tries to give them interesting quotes, but he's not going to do their jobs for them by creating a headline. 

2 hours ago, Memphis said:

I worked in media for a long time here in the US and had to do loads of press conferences, and you're right - the questions are generally stupid. Most managers understand that their job is to communicate with the fans and the outside population and so they'll grab on to whatever sliver of an actual querstion exists, expand upon it for the purposes of a quote, and that's that. That's why you have so many "how important is it for you to ________________" or "how big is it for PLAYER X to get on the scoresheet" or some other obvious question. In a normal setting, the answer would be, "Are you stupid? What kind of dumbass question is that?" But because the journalists don't want to (or have been asked not to) ask seriously probing questions, and they know that the manager or player are very unlikely to give a legitimate answer, they ask something that fits within the framework of a piece they've already pre-written, in many cases. Might as well say "just talk about MIguel Almiron for a bit, I'm writing something about him and I need something from the manager, thanks"

I would always try to save my actual questions for situations in which I could speak individually to the coach or player, if at all possible, because I didn't want anyone else to know what I was working on, nor did I want them to get the quote I deserved. Many times that's impossible, so you do the best you can.

I love Howe in these press conferences, he's an expert at saying actual things while not saying anything that would be problematic for his team. That is very difficult to consistently achieve. He knows the aims of the press, he tries to give them interesting quotes, but he's not going to do their jobs for them by creating a headline. 

All very good points :thup:

Sure but I mean there's not asking 'seriously probing' questions and then there's the young lad on NUFCTV. It doesn't have to be utterly boring and meaningless. Ask Elliot Anderson about who his heroes were growing up, his first game, who he moulds himself on, which players in the squad does he rub off the most, did Joey Barton talk to you about playing for Newcastle, are you a winger or a centre-mid or what? Sven Botman, where did you learn to kick a ball, what's the best shirt you've ever had, have you found any decent restaurants in the Toon yet. Just something not utterly, utterly banal.