Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

25 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Great article on the Athletic about Eddie Howes high pressing Mags, can’t seem to get on 12ft to break the paywall.

Read that this morning, I was surprised how much detail he was prepared to tell the journalists about his methods. The sign of a man truly confident in his own ideas, he knows the secret sauce is only part of it, the most important factor is still the chef.

Just on goal difference again, but goal difference to points is one of the strongest correlations going. This is from 2011, the relative infancy of stats analysis of football, so the formula might be slightly off given how lopsided the league has since gone with a top one or two, not the top four or six of before. There are many other articles about GD and they all say the same thing = massive correlation with points, and a great predictor of who's actually good for anyone making bets.

https://jameswgrayson.wordpress.com/2011/03/06/the-relationship-between-points-and-goal-difference/

Par for a goal difference of zero over a season is 52 points. For Eddie's first 36 games, points predicted off goal difference would be about 53.5 pts vs. the 56 pts gained, but that is probably because our GD has been negatively affected by the Bruce hangover wallopings. Since Eddie's points total is close to the predicted one, we can probably write off theories about unsustainably getting points from lots of flukey wins in February/March. I think it is concern over that that leads people to suggest we should aim merely for mid table and not as high as seventh or eighth.

Just for fun, here's the current goal difference table. We're fourth, but are likely to be overtaken by Chelsea (great squad and Potter effect) and Liverpool who have a game in hand. Charitably cancel the Man U 4-0 loss at Brentford and they are still miles off CL. GD suggests Brighton (and us) fully deserve their position. Brentford, Leeds, Palace etc. will rise up the table. Fulham and Bournemouth will sink and the latter will probably be relegated. Leicester are near the bottom, but some combination of new goalie (has to be!) and ditching Brenda should save them.

1519300343_goaldifference.thumb.jpg.e4d6e29cda2486311d5581b23adf4341.jpg

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Random question. Am I right in thinking we've only lost nine games under Howe:

Liverpool (x3)

City (x2)

Chelsea (a)

Arsenal (a)

Spurs (a)

Everton (a)

We lost 4-1 against Leicester away last season, and also obviously Cambridge in the cup.

It's on the previous page, but Howe's record in the league is 

P36 W16 D10 L10 F49 A47 Pts 58 GD+2

Home is

P19 W10 D7 L2 F30 A19 Pts 37

Away is

P17 W6 D3 L8 F19 A28 Pts 21

Since Jan 1st

Home

P14 W9 D4 L1 F24 A10 Pts 31

Away

P14 W6 D3 L5 F18 A19 Pts 21 (one win off zero or better GD)

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I tend to watch every presser in full now 

absolutely addicted to all Newcastle content 

under Bruce /Ashley i couldn’t stomach the drivel / lies that used to come out of their mouths 

Listening to Howe speak and comparing him in relation with what Bruce used to bumble on about….you can’t believe they were both in the same job ..it is light years in comparison between the two 

Fucking love Eddie. Can’t quite get my head around how well drilled the team is and how everyone is contributing. Even the players who lack the required quality. They know their job, they’re fit and they work their bollocks off. 

What a fucking man. 

His time out of the game and visit to watch Simeone work has surely had an enormous impact on him as a manager now thus also us. We've got a little Atleti-esque shithousery about us now with hitting the deck/wasting time as well as the defensive solidity. 

27 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Fucking love Eddie. Can’t quite get my head around how well drilled the team is and how everyone is contributing. Even the players who lack the required quality. They know their job, they’re fit and they work their bollocks off. 

What a fucking man. 

He's a brilliant coach and appears to be a decent bloke with it too.

Can't understand why there continue to be a few people looking to blame him for absolutely anything they can.