Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Normally I detest pigeon-holing clubs in terms of where they should or shouldn't be, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they finished 9th and perhaps reached their ceiling. Given the stature of the club they were always going to be limited in terms of the calibre of player they could bring in/hang onto so you wonder just how much further they could have realistically gone. 

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Take this comment and read this post.

That doesn’t really answer it though. People evaluating final outcomes when asking about what happened in the final outcome. 

I do think Haydn makes sense mind overall, but it’s unfair to assume that’s what the hang up is here in this case. 

1 minute ago, STM said:

Also I think Howe was naive when it came to transfers. Jordan Ibe comes to mind. 

Perhaps a smarter approach in terms of transfers would help him do his job.

Ibe and Solanke were absolutely terrible signings but like I said above, I think they probably had limitations in terms of who they can attract. 

1 minute ago, STM said:

Also I think Howe was naive when it came to transfers. Jordan Ibe comes to mind. 

Didn't Rafa go on record as saying he wanted to bring Ibe here but he chose Bournemouth?

At this moment in time I would snap your hand off at any of those 3, this list of premiership ex-players turns my stomach. I just want a decent jump up the ladder of managers, let's be honest we're not getting someone like Pep this early into a takeover and we don't have to imagine whoever is coming in is the one that has the opportunity to take us to the league title in 5-10 years time. We need someone who will steady the ship, get us pointing the right way in the table and build the foundations of a team that will be comfortable next season and maybe push some of the top 8 teams. It's going to be a long process, it doesn't have to all be achieved by 1 manager.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Normally I detest pigeon-holing clubs in terms of where they should or shouldn't be, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they finished 9th and perhaps reached their ceiling. Given the stature of the club they were always going to be limited in terms of the calibre of player they could bring in/hang onto so you wonder just how much further they could have realistically gone. 

Aye. Bournemouth were always going to go down eventually given the size of the club, a bit like Huddersfield were. To keep them in the league for 5 seasons whilst on the whole playing nice stuff is a hell of an achievement, because the last season went poorly due to injuries et cetera doesn't change that.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Rafa tried to sign Ibe too mate. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Absolutely. At a certain point you need more infrastructure, a bigger stadium, a bigger wage bill and fresh ideas at a boardroom level.

How long was he there? 8 years or something. Astonishing really.

I think Howe is on a very similar trajectory to Rodgers. Prior to his Leicester stint most would have turned their noses up at Rodgers I'm pretty sure.

The defending for Rodger's Leicester teams hasn't been that consistently solid either has it? And most would be happy to have him come in. I don't know I could see Howe take a step forward with us but let's see who they ultimately choose before getting too deep into that convo.

Just now, Kanji said:

Rafa tried to sign Ibe too mate. 

Who for? Us?

Rafa did sign the occasional shite mind and in fairness he probably won't Ibe at a much more reasonable price.

1 minute ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Not convinced by Howe. The only time he’s ventured from Bournemouth it didn’t go well. Some people find their place and do well.

Anyone thought about Viera?

Read that twice as Vera. Ffs.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Ibe and Solanke were absolutely terrible signings but like I said above, I think they probably had limitations in terms of who they can attract. 

Yes, they were bad, but more because of the fees really as they hadn't proved themselves enough. I did like that he was targeting young players that were performing well in the England under 21 setup, but they just paid way too much. Funnily enough Solanke seems like he is beginning to develop into their lead man upfront now. Just took him longer than they ultimately projected.

2 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Not convinced by Howe. The only time he’s ventured from Bournemouth it didn’t go well. Some people find their place and do well.

Anyone thought about Viera?

Wait ... Patrick Vieira? He's just joined Palace, doubt we'd make that move and he'd switch that quickly.

That's looking like a risk that Palace took that is going to reap very good rewards from all indications so far. They look very impressive.

We're going to have to take a similar risk, and I just hope we hit the jackpot.

Just now, KaKa said:

Wait ... Patrick Vieira? He's just joined Palace, doubt we'd make that move and he'd switch that quickly.

That's looking like a risk that Palace took that is going to reap very good rewards from all indications so far. They look very impressive.

We're going to have to take a similar risk, and I just hope we hit the jackpot.

Fair point, he’s been in a similar situation as we’ll go through and he’s got average players looking good

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

That doesn’t really answer it though. People evaluating final outcomes when asking about what happened in the final outcome. 

I do think Haydn makes sense mind overall, but it’s unfair to assume that’s what the hang up is here in this case. 

It doesn't diminish the overall achievement at Bournemouth though. I'm of the opinion of it being far too simplistic to look at it as 'well they went down, so why is he seen as so good?' That's another huge part at the 'look at the outcome, forget the context' thing in this country I was going on about. For example, take our beloved Rafa Benitez. Before the Valencia job, he was sacked by Real Valladolid and Osasuna for poor runs, took Extremadura up to La Liga but went down following season before going up with Tenerife. Valencia, who had been in 2 Champions League finals running offered him the job. In his first interview after becoming Valencia manager he talks about him believing he has the tools to make Valencia improve.

Now think if that happened in this country. "hahahaha he got sacked twice last two times in La Liga, has been relegated, now he's coming into one of the biggest clubs in the league saying he's going to improve them?" That would be the mantra from fans, pundits, journalists alike. That is why Europe produces better managers than us more regularly, because this sort of thing is accepted. And it's similar sort of thing with Howe, 'he got relegated in his last season at Bournemouth now he thinks he's going to keep Newcastle up?' I'm annoyed at our owners for not sacking Bruce yet, but if the owners are able to identify a quality coaching job when they see one, which Howe at Bournemouth was, without looking at the results and back him, I'd be very pleased. In spite of Howe not being my first choice.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It doesn't diminish the overall achievement at Bournemouth though. I'm of the opinion of it being far too simplistic to look at it as 'well they went down, so why is he seen as so good?' That's another huge part at the 'look at the outcome, forget the context' thing in this country I was going on about. For example, take our beloved Rafa Benitez. Before the Valencia job, he was sacked by Real Valladolid and Osasuna for poor runs, took Extremadura up to La Liga but went down following season before going up with Tenerife. Valencia, who had been in 2 Champions League finals running offered him the job. In his first interview after becoming Valencia manager he talks about him believing he has the tools to make Valencia improve.

Now think if that happened in this country. "hahahaha he got sacked twice last two times in La Liga, has been relegated, now he's coming into one of the biggest clubs in the league saying he's going to improve them?" That would be the mantra from fans, pundits, journalists alike. That is why Europe produces better managers than us more regularly, because this sort of thing is accepted. And it's similar sort of thing with Howe, 'he got relegated in his last season at Bournemouth now he thinks he's going to keep Newcastle up?' I'm annoyed at our owners for not sacking Bruce yet, but if the owners are able to identify a quality coaching job when they see one, which Howe at Bournemouth was, without looking at the results and back him, I'd be very pleased. In spite of Howe not being my first choice.

Can’t argue with any of that. Howe isn’t my 1st choice, however I’m more interested in an actual plan/type of manager which fits in an overall bigger picture (sd & dof) and it seems that’s what is happening with the 3 final candidates if the source is to be believed. Your point on judging managers on a moment in time for say a relegation is fine, equally I think it’s important to point out when a manager has been backed handsomely then history writes it as some kind of miracle work. I’m actually of the opinion Howe is an unknown rather than a definitive, and his next role will define him more than any other. Same as the other 2 guys for unknown but  that is simply down to league experience though if I was given a choice I’d lean towards them as their achievements for me have been more impressive. 

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Can’t argue with any of that. Howe isn’t my 1st choice, however I’m more interested in an actual plan/type of manager which fits in an overall bigger picture (sd & dof) and it seems that’s what is happening with the 3 final candidates if the source is to be believed. Your point on judging managers on a moment in time for say a relegation is fine, equally I think it’s important to point out when a manager has been backed handsomely then history writes it as some kind of miracle work. I’m actually of the opinion Howe is an unknown rather than a definitive, and his next role will define him more than any other. Same as the other 2 guys for unknown but  that is simply down to league experience though if I was given a choice I’d lean towards them as their achievements for me have been more impressive. 

That's fair. :thup: Howe was backed with a decent wedge at times but I think the size of Bournemouth may have meant that they'd have had to fork out extra cash for the players they could get. Just a theory though. I think you're right that Howe's next role will define him, a bit like Rodgers' role at Leicester when he left Celtic which was always going to define him. Now he's seen as one of the best managers in the league and rightly so. I also agree with leaning towards Fonseca and Favre rather than Howe but that's just because the unknown excites me.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

That's what circa £40 million season on average?

I agree he made some awful buys, but overall he did a fair job.

I don't think he'll be in contention so we don't need to worry about it.

£40m a year to add to what was a Championship/League One squad. It’s a cracking achievement. Also need to factor in that a lot of Premier League clubs would have also spent at least that, and it’s unfair to go on about net spend when like I’ve mentioned it was a Championship/League 1 squad he had to begin with.

1 hour ago, 54 said:

https://www.90min.com/posts/newcastle-manager-shortlist-three-howe-fonseca-favre

Exclusive - Newcastle United's search for a new manager to replace Steve Bruce has narrowed down to three candidates.

90min understands that final interviews are taking place this week, and the names in the frame are Eddie Howe, Paulo Fonseca and Lucien Favre - all of whom held initial talks with the club last week.

Newcastle plan on having a new manager in place by this weekend, with the idea being that current boss Bruce is relieved of his duties before the game against Crystal Palace.

The Magpies had initially intended on sacking Bruce in their first week before appointing current number two Graeme Jones on an interim basis, but they have instead opted to get a new permanent boss in now.

The club's new owners are now all in the North East after chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan flew in to attend Sunday's Premier League defeat against Tottenham - a plan 90min revealed on Thursday.

Let’s be honest, every single one would be a vast upgrade on the fat slug that currently occupies the dugout.