Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Shelvey and Ritchie must be rubbing their hands like. Even if they’re nowhere near the team they’ve got nice contracts to sit on. Could see them eventually having to be loaned out until they expire or farmed out with us having to pay a chunk of their wages.

Or they might turn out to be useful contributors when they have more talented players around them.

Both were on their way out of the club under Rafa. Mainly because he knew what the fuck he was doing.

Truth is you achieve fuck all with people like Shelvey and Ritchie in your teams at PL level. Survival at best.

Shelvey would be one of the first I'd ship out tbh.

Agree 100%. I'd far rather keep Joelinton as a bench warmer just because he's young and still acclimatising. Could well perform far better when he's not got the pressure of being the number one striker at the head of a shit team.

Shelvey and Ritchie are both too immobile to be a part of a top 6 team. The only reason they were given new contracts was because they are perfectly suited to a team trying to avoid relegation. They don't have the legs to compete at the top end, but both can produce the odd moment of quality which might win the few points which make the difference between staying up and going down.

People like St Maximan and Almiron could be part of a top 6 team, arguably so could Shelvey with the right players around him. It’ll be interesting to see what the new regime go for.

Shelvey wouldn't get into a top 6 team. He's so far apart from "the right players around him" that it'd never happen. Stick him in the Man City team and he'd be massively exposed, but he's just not at that quality.

I can't work out why people keep claiming it. You don't get "top 6 players" wandering around the pitch like Shelvey does. That's not because he's got Longstaff of Hayden next to him, it's because his mentality is shite.

I think with Shelvey it's not a question of his technical ability but more so his mentality. Seems to give up too easily if he's not up for it.

People like St Maximan and Almiron could be part of a top 6 team, arguably so could Shelvey with the right players around him. It’ll be interesting to see what the new regime go for.

Shelvey wouldn't get into a top 6 team. He's so far apart from "the right players around him" that it'd never happen. Stick him in the Man City team and he'd be massively exposed, but he's just not at that quality.

I can't work out why people keep claiming it. You don't get "top 6 players" wandering around the pitch like Shelvey does. That's not because he's got Longstaff of Hayden next to him, it's because his mentality is shite.

Aye Shelvey kind of needs a team built around him, and a team built around Shelvey will only be as good as midtable at his very best and more often lower PL/high Championship

I think with Shelvey it's not a question of his technical ability but more so his mentality. Seems to give up too easily if he's not up for it.

Players like Almiron and ASM will look like completely different players if we surround them with real quality. They would thrive in a team like that.

Definitely. We have a great core of players that will look completely different with a next level set of players around them. I think we all know the result of whether Shelvey will excel or not, not least if Rafa comes back. Maybe he will surprise us. 

Interested to see what happens to the loanees. Willems, Rose, Bentaleb and Lazaro. Willems is the only one I want back for sure. Not that we couldn't potentially upgrade on them all if the ownership goes through.

Would bin Shelvey off, like others have said he just doesn’t have it to be in a top 6 team. Would rebuild our entire midfield.

I think both Longstaffs would be worth keeping and building around tbh. Both at different times have shown they can play a good ball across the field, and I think both have a handful of goals in them under a more positive/capable manager. I'd definitely rather keep both of them ahead of Shelvey.

Would bin Shelvey off, like others have said he just doesn’t have it to be in a top 6 team. Would rebuild our entire midfield.

I think both Longstaffs would be worth keeping and building around tbh. Both at different times have shown they can play a good ball across the field, and I think both have a handful of goals in them under a more positive/capable manager. I'd definitely rather keep both of them ahead of Shelvey.

200% With a decent manager and better players to work with and learn from I am sure they will look like different players.

You keep Sean and Matty and let them develop with better players around them, 100%.

Look forward to situations where both of those lads can be playing in a good team and having chances at goal - incredible strikers of the ball those lads.

Shelvey is somewhat limited in some areas, but with stronger players around him surely the same applies to him - that he'd be better.

The problem is he is limited in the worst area for a footballer, his stamina and work rate. If you want to make a direct comparison, how about Yahya Toure? Thought he was the bee's knees, but his quality meant nothing at the top end of the Premier, where other teams could produce slightly less end product, but twice the energy to dominate games. Pep recognised this and binned him off when he got too comfortable.

Shelvey is somewhat limited in some areas, but with stronger players around him surely the same applies to him - that he'd be better.

The problem is he is limited in the worst area for a footballer, his stamina and work rate. If you want to make a direct comparison, how about Yahya Toure? Thought he was the bee's knees, but his quality meant nothing at the top end of the Premier, where other teams could produce slightly less end product, but twice the energy to dominate games. Pep recognised this and binned him off when he got too comfortable.

Toure was a physical beast. Shelvey is something from 2am outside a kebab shop

What absolute nonsense. Toure was absolutely brilliant :lol: Basically won Man City the league one of the years they won

:lol:

Yaya Toure frequently dominated the top sides whenever he played and was undoubtedly the best midfielder in the league for a great period of his time there

What absolute nonsense. Toure was absolutely brilliant :lol: Basically won Man City the league one of the years they won

:thup: he was unreal that 2013-14 season

Sorry if Giggs but have they said what happens to players out of contract and the transfer window coming up? I'm assuming the league wouldnt allow new players to be registered for the matches played to end this season. But if it happens and after july can clubs extend contracts of players to complete the season or will some sign elsewhere or walk away. Seems sketchy.

Guest chopey

Very good point, dont worry though the FA and Premier  league have took the bull by the horns and started up their thinkometer and it should spit out an answer about Christmas time.