Transfer rumours

Yorkie

I can only imagine we've filled up our 25 man squad. Otherwise it's a stupid gamble to take, considering the "exciting" loan options possibly available to us.

We're obviously short in a few areas but that's nothing new I guess...

Not keeping up to speed very well. Has Eriksen been a flop at Inter?

Pretty much. Doesn't really fit into Conte's system as a central midfielder as he prefers more engine. Even when playing with an attacking midfielder behind the front two Sensi has looked a better bet. Nevertheless seems a bit soon to sell him IMO he'd fine a niche in the squad over the course of the season.

I think the issue is they have too many midfielders right now (Barella, Gagliardini, Sensi, Brozovic, Eriksen, Vidal, Vecino, Naingollan) all for 2/3 positions and need to save £. They've been trying to ship Vecino and Naingollan out to save money but are maybe thinking there is more chance of moving with Eriksen.

If identifying an obvious and critical weakness before then remedying it counts as excellent, then I guess its been excellent. Probably not how I'd define it. It was the bare minimum that was required.

If ensuring that the squad has enough quality to avoid relegation despite the manager's weaknesses counts as excellent, then I guess it's been excellent. Again, I'd define it more as the absolute bare minimum at to what was required.

The jury is out on literally all of the signings except Wilson, who is an obvious upgrade on what we had last season. But, even in his case, there's doubts about his injury record and whether he's the type of striker to get the best out of the rest of our attackers and contributes to the team becoming greater than the sum of its parts (Almiron being on the bench a case in point).

In truth, you need a bit of time to judge how good a transfer window a club has had, cos ultimately it depends on how the team performs. I'd go as far as saying it was an acceptable transfer window. If Wilson turns out to be a goal machine, if Lewis, Hendrick and Fraser all become mainstays and tangibly contribute to a upturn in form and results - we're getting closer to 'excellent.'

That's incorrect, Leeds have spent £90m so far and are set to spend another £17m today on Raphinha from Rennes

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leeds-united/transfers/verein/399

There seems to be some discrepancy across the fees received, is TransferMarkt the most reliable?

Other media outlets have Robin Koch as £13m and Rodrigo for £30m for instance, wonder if they just factor in performance related add-ons regardless

"One of the reasons I didn’t really buy in January was to keep it ready for the summer because I didn’t think we could get the value for money.

Righto Steve

People who know they're not really achieving a great deal always provide smug and dubious explanations to their successes after they've happened. I do it at work all the time. "Oh yeah I totes planned that."

The Chronic reckon were keeping our loan slots for January.  :rolleyes:

Bald 1 - 'This is exquisite planning by Geordie Steve who will know he'll be able to better assess his United squad come January. Plus with Andy Carroll firing and a young Paul Dummett to come back in the fray there is plenty of local strength in depth.'

Bald 2 - 'Keeping his powder dry makes sense, a wise decision by Steve Bruce's United not to spend more than they can afford and leave themselves exposed later in the year. The money may have been there to spend but Bruce knows the market and league well.'

Bald 3 - 'Heroic Steve Bruce has managed this English transfer window to perfection. Gone are the summers of unbridled waste on lazy, overpaid foreign mercenaries by previous managers as Steve, a real bloke who loves his football and his country, has provided a 10/10 window with added pouring butter as a treat.'

PP - 'I am a top lad, sound bloke and real fan. Mike and Steve are too and have once more proven it with this excellent window. I give it 10 programmes out of 10. I'll be a live Q&A with Toon ledge's Steve Wraith and Dennis Wise on my Insta at 8pm.'

If identifying an obvious and critical weakness before then remedying it counts as excellent, then I guess its been excellent. Probably not how I'd define it. It was the bare minimum that was required.

If ensuring that the squad has enough quality to avoid relegation despite the manager's weaknesses counts as excellent, then I guess it's been excellent. Again, I'd define it more as the absolute bare minimum at to what was required.

The jury is out on literally all of the signings except Wilson, who is an obvious upgrade on what we had last season. But, even in his case, there's doubts about his injury record and whether he's the type of striker to get the best out of the rest of our attackers and contributes to the team becoming greater than the sum of its parts (Almiron being on the bench a case in point).

In truth, you need a bit of time to judge how good a transfer window a club has had, cos ultimately it depends on how the team performs. I'd go as far as saying it was an acceptable transfer window. If Wilson turns out to be a goal machine, if Lewis, Hendrick and Fraser all become mainstays and tangibly contribute to a upturn in form and results - we're getting closer to 'excellent.'

I think this is where I’m at with it. It’s a good window for the Ashley era although as usual there’s a lot of ifs and buts attached to that statement.