Transfer rumours

Yorkie

I thought this bit was the funniest tbh:

'Benitez wanted to do it his way. I went into the boardroom and Rafa was with the head of HR, that was me done. I walked down the corridor and Lee Charnley (managing director) said, 'Cheerio, Graham'. I just kept walking. It was sad the way it turned out, especially when you love the club. And I do miss it, a lot.

FFS Charnley :lol:

:lol: snorted at that

Carr was one of the reason's we got relegated, he wanted McClaren ffs.

A scout clearly shouldn't have the responsibility to choose managers though. He was good at finding good players

Yep, the club shouldn’t have had him in that position at the club. He was a talent spotter who had his contacts. He should have been part of the scouting team or even Chief Scout but instead he pretty much was the scouting team.

I'm able to justify Riviere (probably far, far down the list of recommendations) and McClaren (a semi-decent club wouldn't ask him) because he had a good eye for players, in general. There'll always be one or two that don't work out, especially when you work under the restrictions of Mike fucking Ashley.

Not sure I can forgive him for his son though.

Linked today with Wylan Cyprien from Nice.

Would be a good central midfielder.

Good pace, ball control, creativity, passing, vision and shot.

Likes to keep the ball on the ground.

Would be an upgrade to our midfield.

Contract ends in summer 2021, so could come at a good price.

He's a good player, we've been linked with him a few times over the years, including back when he played in Ligue 2 with Lens. Available cheap if reports are to be believed.

I personally think centre midfield is our weakest area, we have 4 or 5 players there but I don't feel any of them are truly good enough. I like Hayden and Shelvey in certain games but they need some genuine competition and we could use a player who is more energetic and willing to carry the ball.

I personally think centre midfield is our weakest area, we have 4 or 5 players there but I don't feel any of them are truly good enough.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

Both offensively and defensively. Opposition runs right through them way too easily. Playing with a flat midfield two obviously isn't helping, but they cover ground way too slowly – and looses possession too often.

Guest neesy111

I personally think centre midfield is our weakest area, we have 4 or 5 players there but I don't feel any of them are truly good enough.

Both offensively and defensively. Opposition runs right through them way too easily. Playing with a flat midfield two obviously isn't helping, but they cover ground way too slowly – and looses possession too often.

Yeap, I've been saying this for a long time but CM is really poor and a major contribution to why we struggle in most games.  No control.

Doesn't say anything there about what he's like off the ball, i.e., closing down players, tackling and such. Not that it matters since I think our signings are done basically unless we are talking about loan deals.

Yeap, I've been saying this for a long time but CM is really poor and a major contribution to why we struggle in most games.  No control.

Central midfielders who have all the assets cost a helluva lot of money. We've been linked to so many highly rated ones down the years - Matuidi comes to mind - but we always end up buying flawed versions like Shelvey or Saivet instead. Same goes for most areas of the pitch tbh, we just don't want to pay high prices.

We desperately need an all-rounder in there. Hendrick might be Bruce's answer to that.

But that is based on the idea that we play something a bit more expansive than 442.

We've got Wilson and Gayle [when required] up top, two players that, I believe, should you provide them with 5 chances every match [on average], would turn that into a solid return.

In ASM, Almiron, Fraser, Big Jo, and Ritchie [not forgetting a hungry Jacob Murphy] we have the players to provide those chances.

We just need to be able to control the middle for periods.

As to Hendrick, I can't speak to his ability. His assist against West Ham suggested he has the right mentality for this stage in his career, but his goal looked too much like the kind of goal you see on the training pitch, that with the intense pressure of a crowd, is rarely replicated.

But anyway. What do we need to make 442 work?

We desperately need an all-rounder in there. Hendrick might be Bruce's answer to that.

But that is based on the idea that we play something a bit more expansive than 442.

We've got Wilson and Gayle [when required] up top, two players that, I believe, should you provide them with 5 chances every match [on average], would turn that into a solid return.

In ASM, Almiron, Fraser, Big Jo, and Ritchie [not forgetting a hungry Jacob Murphy] we have the players to provide those chances.

We just need to be able to control the middle for periods.

As to Hendrick, I can't speak to his ability. His assist against West Ham suggested he has the right mentality for this stage in his career, but his goal looked too much like the kind of goal you see on the training pitch, that with the intense pressure of a crowd, is rarely replicated.

But anyway. What do we need to make 442 work?

If you are going 4-4-2 the four across the middle have to be mobile and hard working. If you want to keep the ball, they need to be good with the ball as well, so no Amdy faye types. Good full backs who can pass the ball will help, and of most important of all, a manager who knows how to construct team shape and dynamic.

I think there lies the problem, Steve Bruce hasn’t a clue what his best 11 is or his best formation. It’s pick and hope for the best.

We can agree that the squad is better than what Rafa ever had, yet if he was still here he’d have the whole thing analysed. Down to a tee.

What Rafa also knows which pisses many of us off is that the team might be better without one or two of our so called best players in the starting 11.

For example, ASM would have huge problems keeping his place.

I don’t think any of us have a clue what the best 11 is as we’ll probably never see it while he perseveres with certain players.

I think there lies the problem, Steve Bruce hasn’t a clue what his best 11 is or his best formation. It’s pick and hope for the best.

We can agree that the squad is better than what Rafa ever had, yet if he was still here he’d have the whole thing analysed. Down to a tee.

What Rafa also knows which pisses many of us off is that the team might be better without one or two of our so called best players in the starting 11.

For example, ASM would have huge problems keeping his place.

I don’t think any of us have a clue what the best 11 is as we’ll probably never see it while he perseveres with certain players.

I'm not convinced he would have ever gained a place, but I think [based on limited viewing, admittedly] he's performed well enough to have earned Rafa's trust. Whether that is down to Bruce being so lovable is open to question.

The squad is better but Bruce has fucked off our best CBs and no longer has the proven quality of Rondon and Perez.

I really think we could go down, unless he’s capable of putting together a solid team that can counterattack along the ground instead of lumping it to Andy. 4-4-2 wont work, Carroll starting every game won’t work, Wilson may not make enough of a difference.