Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Money only talks when it's more than the cost of what the selling club would lose by selling to us - I'm thinking of the cost to the likes of Burnley (Tarkowski or Mee) and Southampton (JWP) here by increasing their chance of relegation while also strenthening a relegation rival - but it also extends to the clubs at the top who won't want to help a club stay up who they'll see as a threat to their bottom line in a few years.

With FFP it means it's probably not in Newcastle's best interests to pay the amount that those clubs would be asking for and using up a high percetage of the budget imo - Newcastle will be looking at daft prices like £50m+ for Tarkowski vs half that for a potentially better player at a lower cost abroad. In that scenario it's a no brainer. 

Edited by kisearch

1 minute ago, kisearch said:

Money only talks when it's more than the cost of what the selling club would lose by selling to us - I'm thinking of the cost to the likes of Burnley (Tarkowski or Mee) and Southampton (JWP) here by increasing their chance of relegation while also strenthening a relegation rival - but it also extends to the clubs at the top who won't want to help a club stay up who they'll see as a threat to their bottom line in a few years.

With FFP it means it's probably not in Newcastle's best interests to pay the amount that those clubs would be asking for and using up a high percetage of the budget imo - Newcastle will be looking at daft prices like £50m for Tarkowski vs half that for a potentially better player at a lower cost abroad. In that scenario it's a no brainer. 

I agree, we should definitely look abroad. English tax is too high unfortunately. 

I just think a lot of the noise coming out of the other teams in the league is just that. 

46 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Think others have mentioned but isn’t he quite slow? If we’re going to play a high line shouldn’t we be after someone with more pace? He’s been mentioned before but Ake could be perfect 

It's a valid point, certainly.

On Sunday Lille didn't sit in deep defensively, and he was up against Dembele and Slimani who were playing upfront together for Lyon. Both are still very mobile and have decent pace.

Interestingly, I wouldn't say he is quick, but I wouldn't say he was overly slow either. I think he had a really good sense of how to manage his pace against quick players, as he didn't get caught out too often at all. 

Really liked the look of him. He just had a great presence defensively and was very active. 

Not a rumour, but the four I'd like

Lingard, Ayoze type productive AM/second striker. Must be capable of playing false nine 

Solid DM

RB

Backup keeper

If we can have another, established CB who Howe thinks is captain material. Dependability over ball skills.

............................Dubs/backup

RB...........any.........newcaptain.............Lewis

...................Solid DM..........any...........................

ASM.................Lingard type..................Beg Jow

.......................Wilson.............................

I'm surprised we've not been linked with many natural RW. 

CM is priority, as is a striker to cover or provide completion for Wilson but a Right winger must surely be an absolute priority when you consider Murphy is our only natural RW. 

Edited by Thumbheed

Just now, Haz said:

So we pay over the odds for a player that will want out?

There's a certain level of player who won't even consider us, so it will be a case of going for those who will that are still better than what we've got. Tarkowski being an example. He's not going to be wanted by Man City, but he's still better than what we've got. There'll be loan signings available from abroad, those would be worth paying a bit more for as they can then leave if we go down, no harm done on either side. 

It's not going to be easy, but there will be players we can get in who are better than what we've got. 

37 minutes ago, Haz said:

So we pay over the odds for a player that will want out?

Wolves got Ruben Neves, Jota, Boly, Saiss, Doherty and Cavaleiro while in the championship. There's definitely talent out there that would happily take one season in the championship to be part of this project if they fail to retain premier league status.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Wolves got Ruben Neves, Jota, Boly, Saiss, Doherty and Cavaleiro while in the championship. There's definitely talent out there that would happily take one season in the championship to be part of this project if they fail to retain premier league status.

Good point, although I think the majority of them where made to by Jorge Mendes.

There's those that will come for the money.

There's those that want to play and not sit on the bench.

There's  those who will join on loan.

There's those that need games to get in world cup squads.

There's those who are young but ambitious and will swap a minor league for a massive league. 

There's those out of contract that may be persuaded to join the future project and ambitions the club hope for.

I'm sure it won't be impossible to bring in players in January. 

we clearly cant fluke/manager bounce/drag ourselves out of trouble on our own with current playing squad some serious investment or very clever dealing is required be it big players on loans with obligation to buy or mercenaries on big wages with soft relegation clauses. It is clear now if 5/6 dont come in we are down I dont think 1 or 2 quality editions will be enough to drag improvement in most areas of the pitch we need. 

If this means we invest a lil unwisely from a medium and long term prospective I am ok with that, if we can stay up as while going down will be a fresh start and a clear out it still means buying players for that level and having to upgrade all over the pitch when you come back up.