Transfer rumours

Yorkie

16 hours ago, triggs said:

I hated Wijnaldum more than almost any player we've had. Barely tried a leg after Christmas, even when Rafa came in. Was dropped for the vital games at the end of the season

He wasn't really suited to Rafa's system, and before that, the whole team was a joke under McLaren. That he went on to win titles under Klopp shows that there was nothing wrong with his work rate under the right manager and a club with ambition. 

I'm not advocating we should buy him either, just think he was always one of our best players, we were just a shit club at the time. 

33 minutes ago, jotenko said:

Why are you guys interested in our striker Darwin Nunez?

He is pretty much horrible. He's strong and can run, but he's always looking down while running, zero awareness of the game around him, has 2 horrible feet when it comes the time to treat the ball right.

Why do you want to buy overpriced horrible players?

Well... I guess I won't try to understand anymore. Just give us the fucking money and take this one and Vlachodimos. [emoji38]

Mate, it’ll just be paper talk and agents messing about. I wouldn’t pay it much thought if I were you. 

Re: Wijnaldum. We were a stepping stone club back then and players joined knowing it was a stepping stone onto more successful ‘destination’ teams. I think when players were ready to go or wanted their move then they kind of downed tools a bit with us so it probably explains why Wijnaldum faded as he did.

We’re now (hopefully!) a destination club or will be soon if the rumours of us having loads of money are true (I’m not fully sold on this yet it has to be said) so I’m hoping any players we do get of Wijnaldum’s calibre will be giving it their all to make us a success and not just used as a stepping stone. 

Edited by LV

30 minutes ago, Rich said:

:lol:

Throwing The Mag in there as though that improves things.

Is there any tabloid you brits trust anyway?

Everytime I share some link with my british colleagues the answer will always be:

lol the sun

lol the daily mail

lol the mag

Is there any one that can be trusted?

7 minutes ago, jotenko said:

Everytime I share some link with my british colleagues the answer will always be:

lol the sun

lol the daily mail

lol the mag

not a single one.

21 hours ago, nortoon said:

I'd take a Frenkie :)

De Jong's simply don't work for us. 

They either get punctured lungs from a light breeze, or can't kick a ball with enough force to get from the penalty spot to the goalkeeper.

41 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

De Jong's simply don't work for us. 

They either get punctured lungs from a light breeze, or can't kick a ball with enough force to get from the penalty spot to the goalkeeper.

I'll never get over Luuk de Jong's shooting. It was like when you play footy in a bad dream and your legs are slow and your shot is weak, but it was happening on the pitch in real life. 

I would gamble on another De Jong like, what's one more at this point.

8 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

I'll never get over Luuk de Jong's shooting. It was like when you play footy in a bad dream and your legs are slow and your shot is weak, but it was happening on the pitch in real life. 

I would gamble on another De Jong like, what's one more at this point.

His shooting was like watching a slow motion replay with all the other players going at normal speed. Weakest kicker i've ever seen turn out for us.

3 hours ago, TRon said:

He wasn't really suited to Rafa's system, and before that, the whole team was a joke under McLaren. That he went on to win titles under Klopp shows that there was nothing wrong with his work rate under the right manager and a club with ambition. 

I'm not advocating we should buy him either, just think he was always one of our best players, we were just a shit club at the time. 

Him having a good work rate elsewhere still doesn't mean he had it here. Every other player gets pelters for not putting in the work. Even in exactly the same season a player who put in much more effort than him (Sissoko) was criticised for not putting in enough, yet Wijnaldum got away with it for some weird reason. His away performances were about as anonymous as it gets, Jermaine Jenas had more of a spine. 

Edited by kisearch

2 hours ago, jotenko said:

lol the sun

lol the daily mail

lol the mag

Not on transfers....best gauge for them is to take an average of how many places report it rather than who is reporting it.

For total reliability the BBC isn't too bad, but they generally only report after the event and anything speculative is labelled as speculative

1 hour ago, kisearch said:

Him having a good work rate elsewhere still doesn't mean he had it here. Every other player gets pelters for not putting in the work. Even in exactly the same season a player who put in much more effort than him (Sissoko) was criticised for not putting in enough, yet Wijnaldum got away with it for some weird reason. His away performances were about as anonymous as it gets, Jermaine Jenas had more of a spine. 

Sissoko got hammered on here as well, at the time I used to argue for both him and Wijnaldum as they were clearly the better players from our squad, and ultimately that reflected in their transfer value. Not that Sissoko was great, but he was just better than most by dint of not being slow, and being able to carry the ball. 

From recall we had a totally dysfunctional midfield and attack during McLaren's year, similar to how we had the same when Bruce was here. Ultimately we were a badly run club, I would rather judge players in a healthy environment.

I think it's true of both relegation years that we had a dysfunctional squad with lots of serious talent and lots of absolute shit. Meanwhile, the appalling management was incapable of finding the balance on the pitch or clearing the toxic fog that the club was utterly saturated in. 

I think that's very different this time. The squad is similar in that there's good players and bad players, but we've got a decent well-fitting manager and there's a levity and optimism surrounding the club. If we find a wee bit of momentum either during this vicious set of fixtures or in that more benevolent run after Christmas, we'll be on our way. 

If we could get a stand out result against even Leicester or Man Utd or both I think it will be huge for the team and our season and may boost our efforts in signing some new players too.