Transfer rumours

Yorkie

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It tells you nowt tbf, being in a relegation scrap doesn't mean you need to shut teams out and flap your arse trying to scrape draws and 1-0 wins.

Howe and Rafa have completely different philosophies, Rafa also didn't like Ben Arfa, completely understandable given the type of manager he is but you'd be hard pressed to say Hatem looked bad for us.

Gini was a forward/winger when he was here too, we also had a much better squad.

What [emoji38] Ben Arfa left a year before Rafa even arrived!

No wonder the cunt is always smiling. 

Don't think any of our players are on more than £85k. Expect Almiron, Joelinton & ASM to be in and around (70-85k) that, Shelvey was there before his extension. 

Gini is a quality player, but not the type we need right now. We already have Willock who is a similar type, although Gini is admittedly much better at this stage. I suppose on loan he would make sense, but what we really need is a CM who will provide some bite in midfield. 

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

Roughly. But the poster stated “100-200k” without giving the currency- I presumed it was in £ given that’s what we use. 

Aye but you often see reports in $ these days. And I wouldn't put it past a journo to change 100k to 100-200k. I'm sure that's week 1 of B-tec media studies.

Just now, TRon said:

Gini is a quality player, but not the type we need right now. We already have Willock who is a similar type, although Gini is admittedly much better at this stage. I suppose on loan he would make sense, but what we really need is a CM who will provide some bite in midfield. 

It certainly appears that way, but if we could retain more possession then that would reduce the need. If Gini replaced Willock, we'd be exactly the same as we are but give it away less.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

It certainly appears that way, but if we could retain more possession then that would reduce the need. If Gini replaced Willock, we'd be exactly the same as we are but give it away less.

I was one of those on here who used to defend Gini tbh, for precisely that reason. I thought he was great at keeping the ball under pressure, and I assumed that was why Klopp was happy to take him off our hands. He would definitely improve us, only question in my mind would be how motivated would he be coming back after winning all that silverware away from here?

There is no world where Gini Wijnaldum doesn't improve us. You could stick him in 4 positions and we would improve.

If we need a more defensive minded midfielder, then sign one of them ASWELL.

Easy to forget that there are no restrictions.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Also, stop comparing Willock and Wijnaldum ffs :lol:

Nearly as bad as the Rice - Longstaff comparisons.

No one is comparing their quality, I said specifically the type of player, i.e., not really the type to get stuck in, but make good runs into the box and score goals. I also specifically said Gini is better quality just to make it understood that I wasn't under the illusion that Willock is anywhere near that standard yet.

1 minute ago, STM said:

There is no world where Gini Wijnaldum doesn't improve us. You could stick him in 4 positions and we would improve.

If we need a more defensive minded midfielder, then sign one of them ASWELL.

Easy to forget that there are no restrictions.

Yep, 100%. But we do need to sign a midfielder who'll give us some Kante/Tiote style steel. Get one of those AND Gini, then we are talking. 

Honestly couldn't say how Gini performed at Liverpool as I never really noticed him when I watched them play, but understand he had more defensive duties at Liverpool than here.

However, based on the situation we are in now, and how he performed for us when we had the knife to our throats back then, I'd be hesitant to bring him in on loan unless we also bring in another central midfielder. Big risk to ask him to be the driving force in midfield to save our season when we know he already failed to do so before. 

14 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Honestly couldn't say how Gini performed at Liverpool as I never really noticed him when I watched them play, but understand he had more defensive duties at Liverpool than here.

However, based on the situation we are in now, and how he performed for us when we had the knife to our throats back then, I'd be hesitant to bring him in on loan unless we also bring in another central midfielder. Big risk to ask him to be the driving force in midfield to save our season when we know he already failed to do so before. 

He was brilliant for them, his pressing, shielding, ability to carry the ball, and he played in a selfless way too. He was used perfectly by Klopp and played the role to perfection. I’m not sure on him here though, but on loan, he would enhance our midfield massively you’d think.

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

To be fair to him, the whole team stopped and he was young and it was his first season in the PL. He’s matured now and is vastly experienced and a quiet and calm kind of leader type figure. The one thing I think with Howe is that a lot of players will enjoying playing under him and his methods and the football he prefers, be they damaged goods like Shelvey or some big name player.

47 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Wijnaldum would be the first name on the team sheet. I think he's still waaaaay above us and will attract interest from all over Europe. Can see him in Italy or Spain (Barca, maybe?).

No chance of paying him a decent wage after their Euro failure last night, I’d have thought. 

16 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

He's not actually been linked other than a few tenuous comments that PSG might let him go on loan? Or did i miss something?

20 appearances (10 starts) this season. I think he simply wants to play more to be honest, given his age (31?). He’s got a lot of competition at PSG. IF he left on loan, I could see him going to Arsenal or Spurs maybe? (Especially if Dele leaves Tottenham). 

3 minutes ago, Manxst said:

20 appearances (10 starts) this season. I think he simply wants to play more to be honest, given his age (31?). He’s got a lot of competition at PSG. IF he left on loan, I could see him going to Arsenal or Spurs maybe? (Especially if Dele leaves Tottenham). 

Don't see that tbh...just doesn't fit with them in my view.

Could see him going to back to PSV, or someone like Sevilla. 

Absolutely do not want Wijnaldum back here like. He's a good player but he was utterly anonymous for most of that season when we went down. Particularly away from home. 

I don't think he's suited to playing in a side that forfeits control of the game. He'd played for Ajax and PSV before us, two teams that dominate possession. It's no suprise that he did well at Liverpool too. Us though, wanting to hit other teams on the break? No.