Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Just now, Conjo said:

Can't really compare them since Willock has at least 10 years left to play at the top level while Trippier has maybe 2 good seasons left in him unless he's some physical anomaly.

You're still thinking like Mike Ashley. If he helps keep us up he'll prove to be a bargain.

10 hours ago, andyc35i said:

Spending £25 million on him is exactly the type of signing that has me worried that we will panic and waste the money we are allowed to spend under FFP. Don’t get me wrong, he is a top player and will improve the team, but that outlay on a fee and the obviously high wage level is not something we should be doing for a 32 year old defender 

Mike, is that you? 

Struggling to comprehend why anyone would think us signing Trippier, an experienced England international who has a good set-piece on him, would be a bad signing at 25 million, when we have essentially an unlimited (albeit capped) budget. It's not like we're going to be stuck with tiny tele's and wheelie bins because we've spent a few quid upgrading the playing squad.

Anyone who improves the team is the right choice - regardless of age / money 

We also have people at the club in higher places more knowledgeable than the average fan in regards to decision making.

Even if every decision was left up to the manager,  I would still like to think he would know what positions need filling and who to go for in January 

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Struggling to comprehend why anyone would think us signing Trippier, an experienced England international who has a good set-piece on him, would be a bad signing at 25 million, when we have essentially an unlimited (albeit capped) budget. It's not like we're going to be stuck with tiny tele's and wheelie bins because we've spent a few quid upgrading the playing squad.

It's all a bit hypothetical at this point until we know what kind of strategy and budget for player recruitment we will have going forward. If we are going to be another Chelsea or Man City where the price for a player isn't relevant then sure I don't see a problem with it.

Until we know, I don't see spending 25m on a 31 year old fullback as good business regardless of the short term gain. Look at Everton and QPR for what the potential consequences could be if we're not the next Chelsea or Man City. If that makes me "thinking like Mike Ashley" then....fuck you! :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Beth said:

£25M for a 31 year old RB is just stupidity, especially when you consider its almost last on our list of priorities for upgrades......

Stupidity to upgrade Javier Manquillo with Kieran Trippier?

What a mad post

Guest reefatoon
10 minutes ago, Beth said:

£25M for a 31 year old RB is just stupidity, especially when you consider its almost last on our list of priorities for upgrades......

You don’t know how much we have to spend and you don’t know where he is on the priority list. Now that’s stupidity.

Not that I subscribe to this 'we're pua rich lyke' nonsense, but we probably are gonna have to get used to putting the owners wealth into perspective. So for every £1m Abrahamovich can spend, we can spend £32m...

So in my eyes (and I could be talking pure shit here like), it's the equivalent of Chelsea buying him for something like £800k.

A few million here or there is totally immaterial for us, all that matters is he's good enough to improve us, which he is.

Edited by Thumbheed

11 minutes ago, Beth said:

Isn't every area possibly excluding GK a priority at the minute?

Sorcery I know, but it might just be possible that we can work on more than one signing at a time now.

3 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Not that I subscribe to this 'we're pua rich lyke' nonsense, but we  probably are gonna have to get used to putting the owners wealth into perspective. So for every £1m Abrahamovich can spend, we can spend £32m...

So in my eyes (and I could be talking pure shit here like), it's the equivalent of Chelsea buying him for something like £800k.

A few million here or there is totally immaterial for us, all that matters is he's good enough to improve us.

I don’t think we know yet just how rich (or not) we actually are.

All we are hearing from Amanda and Mehrdad is that its ‘slow and steady’ and we’re hearing things like £50m per transfer window on transfers.

We should have a bit more evidence to go on after January but I don’t think we’ll know for sure who or what we are until the summer transfer window. 

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

You don’t know how much we have to spend and you don’t know where he is on the priority list. Now that’s stupidity.

£50M is often quoted, so half of the budget on an aging RB?

Priorty for me is as follows: CM, CB, ST, FB, W.

Lets be honest here, everyone in football would be laughing their tits off at us if this deal went through. What next? £75M for Tarkowski?

Killer Kilcline was a similar age when he signed. Admittedly the circumstances are a wee bit different but Trippier would improve us massively both on the field and off it. Having him in the dressing room and around the training ground (assuming we only show him that after he signs) would do wonders for the younger players. They say you can't buy experience but, in this case, you really can. 

Thiago Silva at Chelsea is probably older than me but more than does a job. Class is class. 

1 minute ago, LV said:

I don’t think we know yet just how rich (or not) we actually are.

All we are hearing from Amanda and Mehrdad is that its ‘slow and steady’ and we’re hearing things like £50m per transfer window on transfers.

We should have a bit more evidence to go on after January but I don’t think we’ll know for sure who or what we are until the summer transfer window. 

Yeh, totally agree, we could only have a budget of £50m, but I guess I was addressing the notion that we shouldn't be spending x amount of a player of y age, because relatively speaking, it's immaterial to us. 

It was just an example of how wealthy our owners actually are, I of course have absolutely no idea how willing they are to spend but thats a different argument.

2 minutes ago, Beth said:

£50M is often quoted, so half of the budget on an aging RB?

Priorty for me is as follows: CM, CB, ST, FB, W.

Lets be honest here, everyone in football would be laughing their tits off at us if this deal went through. What next? £75M for Tarkowski?

:lol: you do know who Kieran Trippier is don't you?