Transfer rumours

Yorkie

I don’t understand people turning there nose up at Trippier. First of all he brings experience which we need desperately  in my opinion.  This team doesn’t know how to win games at the moment and struggles to hold on to a lead. 

Our defence is an utter shambles and your only as good as your weakest link. I appreciate we aren’t going to buy a whole new defence in January but this would be a great start in rebuilding it. 

If what were told is true about having vast resources available to improve this squad then there isn’t a single player in this team that isn’t replaceable. Some people may argue Wilson, ASM etc. However you can’t rely on Wilson’s fitness and ASM is wildly inconsistent and still has a lot to work on in his end product in my opinion. We can’t afford to be turning our noses up at players. In an ideal world we’d have had time to plan and get the correct building blocks in place from the beginning but the reality is we’re in a relegation scrap and we need to keep our heads above water. 

17 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Surely everyone would think Trippier is class? 

I don't think anyone has argued otherwise, probably a few are worried we will end up spending boatloads of money on players and wages which will ultimately never be recovered, and might be used against us when it comes to FFP regulations. Although that's already been explained by some on here as not being such a big factor considering where we are starting from....thanks to Ashley's penny pinching ironically. 

If you don't bother thinking about the financial implications of a buying player then just stay out of the discussion? :lol: Not taking anything other than current ability into consideration Trippier is an excellent signing, everyone agrees.

Nobody knows what kind of budget we'll have for player recuitment. Owners have done nothing to date that indicates we'll be another Chelsea or Man City. They are also on record saying they want to build slowly, so until it's confirmed to be bullshit and it's very much carte blanche we have to consider where money is spent imo. If that is the case, I would not want us to spend that much on a player with no resale value that would perform at his best for 2 seasons. We may also still go down and then what do we do if we have an old, expensive squad we're not able to shift? I'd rather spend more, but on a younger player.

47 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Surely everyone would think Trippier is class? 

He would immediately be the best player in our squad. 

25m is nothing these days for a top class international player

It's not 2000 anymore where 25m is a big fee...we've just been Ashley conditioned to think anything over 10m is actually a lot to pay for a player

28 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

He would immediately be the best player in our squad. 

25m is nothing these days for a top class international player

It's not 2000 anymore where 25m is a big fee...we've just been Ashley conditioned to think anything over 10m is actually a lot to pay for a player

It has nothing to do with being conditioned by Ashley. It's frankly a bit insulting considering how much I hate the guy. :lol: You'll probably find most people that are a bit sceptical would be fine with spending more than £25m for a better/comparable player that is younger.

You won't find one fullback at Trippiers age being sold for that kind of fee. I just went through the list of left and right backs on transfermarkt just to see if there were any comparable transfers and there wasn't. The closest I came was Cuadrado that went for €20m from Chelsea to Juventus in 2017 when he was 29.

The top teams either sign more expensive but younger talent, or cheap proven quality experience. There's a reason for that.

Changing away from incomings, who do people think will be the first players out the door?

Think Gayle, and one of Darlow, Woodman & Gillespie will be gone sharpish, potentially Hayden & Hendrick too.

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

Changing away from incomings, who do people think will be the first players out the door?

Think Gayle, and one of Darlow, Woodman & Gillespie will be gone sharpish, potentially Hayden & Hendrick too.

I’d be surprised if it was Gayle unless they bring someone else in as he’s the only other forward. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Clark, Hendrick, Longstaff (given his contract), Murphy moved on if they can ship them out. 

5 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

a little sarcasm on my part.  We have no idea what the the budget is.

I believe the budget will be mainly based on our position - fucked, the availability of players - potentially limited due to league position and how the prem sides do business with us. 

While Amanda was making noises of it being a bad window to invest we no longer have to pay for players in full as Ashley liked to do nor do we have to be so anal about budgets to let opportunity pass us by. 

ultimately its hard as survival with spending isnt guaranteed and do not you want to carry the big financial hits with signing and paying a Jan fee to then potentially allow them to move on for less in the summer if we do drop. 

Still can see 60-100m being spent, got to try and give away or unregister players at the same time too.  

Edited by nufcjmc

The "value for money" narrative we've been battered with for the last 14 years has now disappeared, I can understand why it's still present but it's now obsolete. The new owners have fought tooth and nail for a couple of years just to have the chance to propel a club to the top by giving it full financial backing, it's a completely new paradigm. 

The only question about signing a player like Trippier is should be 'will he provide a significant upgrade on what we have?' If the answer is yes then he needs to be signed, that's the only thing that matters right now. We need at least 5 or 6 like Trippier immediately to give ourselves a chance, pay what it takes. 

10 minutes ago, midds said:

The "value for money" narrative we've been battered with for the last 14 years has now disappeared, I can understand why it's still present but it's now obsolete. The new owners have fought tooth and nail for a couple of years just to have the chance to propel a club to the top by giving it full financial backing, it's a completely new paradigm. 

The only question about signing a player like Trippier is should be 'will he provide a significant upgrade on what we have?' If the answer is yes then he needs to be signed, that's the only thing that matters right now. We need at least 5 or 6 like Trippier immediately to give ourselves a chance, pay what it takes. 

Like with many of your points I find myself nodding in agreement the issue about value is not about stretching the pennies and trying to hunt around the bargain bin the issue is still about buying wisely. The reason for this is still FFP watching a sky fans forum thing around the time of the take over I wasnt aware Everton had spent something like 500m and now were buying cheap not because the owner didnt want to spend more but because they couldnt under FFP rules. 

This "new money" which will come in due to how small our spends have been before and how much we can expand the commercial side is still limited in terms of that stupid FFP formula. 

Edited by nufcjmc