Transfer rumours

Yorkie

I can only think the consortium will look at it on a case by case basis.

What we do know is they are aware this is not the ideal window to be buying players.

We also know that the club has desperate needs, needs that could be used against us to inflate prices.

For example, if the club looks at Botman and sees a player that can be a cornerstone piece and concludes that his price tag is relative to his actual value, they will buy him.  If they suddenly ask 60M for Botman, we would likely say no and reassess a deal in the summer and look elsewhere for now; Tarkowsky for example.

As for Trippier, I can't see them paying 25M for him.  He ticks a lot of boxes but I think they'd be looking to get him for less.  Maybe he wants out, maybe they don't want to carry his wages?

I just don't think it is realistic to say anything is cut and dried and I would hope that their thinking is flexible and fluid.  I'm sure they have a ceiling for spending that they won't cross at all but I think there is a lot of latitude to make smart moves.

2 minutes ago, sh74 said:

If the 25 million is true I would feel Altletico have done us over like a kipper. 

I understand that pov tbf, no-one likes being ripped off :thup:

I'd forget about the fee instantly and I'd also be watching a better NUFC team on the park, that's all I'm really interested in. Sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet and pay the money, we're desperate, clubs know we're desperate. We can wave at them as we progress and eventually pass them.

8 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Manquilo is shit, that's a ridiculous comment. Fullback is our biggest problem area. Both sides!

I'm categorically denying it.

Aren't you the one who thinks ASM is worth £80M? (lol) Fullback is not our biggest problem area at all.

If the club’s priority is to stay up at all costs, £25m for a PL-quality fullback (of any age and with any length of time left in his legs) is a no-brainer. We don’t need 2 years out of Trippier: we need 6 months.

Though I think he’s got at least 2 good years left in him at a high level. He’s only 31 ffs.

1 minute ago, Tomato Deuce said:

If the club’s priority is to stay up at all costs, £25m for a PL-quality fullback (of any age and with any length of time left in his legs) is a no-brainer. We don’t need 2 years out of Trippier: we need 6 months.

Though I think he’s got at least 2 good years left in him at a high level. He’s only 31 ffs.

100% all of this. 

Just now, joeyt said:

Can;t believe it's even a debate whether we should sign him or not

All this hand-wringing about potentially paying too much (though I disagree that £25m is too much in this case) is perplexing to me. Under Ashley it was never an issue (we were perpetually frustrated with the cunt for not spending enough, to be fair).

The club knows how much it can spend! There are people paid to worry about the money. We as fans can certainly worry about the quality of transfers they make…but you’d be hard pressed to argue that Trippier would not be a quality addition.

We’re not skint, we’re not gonna do a Leeds, Trippier at £25m is not a stretch.

Everyone is raising a variety of interesting points here but I really can't help but smile that there's such a back and forth about the merits of signing a current England international who plays for the champions of Spain. [emoji38]

We've been taken over, we've got our club back and I'm loving it. Of course there's the very real threat of relegation but if the we're now in the position where it's realistic and plausible for us to sign a player of this calibre to help get us out of this situation then I can be fully on board with that. 

We need a new spine tbh, defence is a priority but no good unless we get 1 or 2 quality midfielders to link up play and protect the back 4 and if something happens to Wilson, he doesn't have the best track record in injuries, then we need backup or we won't be scoring. January is a mammoth task, excitement, fear and trepidation.

Fwiw I'd take Trippier any day of the week, who gives a shite how much he costs, that's not an issue to us anymore and if he helps keep us in the PL, he's paid for himself anyway! Way, way better than anything we have right now and if it's a choice of spending 25m or sticking with what we've got then it's a no brainer and if you're questioning that you've got no brain.

Edited by Mattoon

4 hours ago, 54 said:

Changing away from incomings, who do people think will be the first players out the door?

Think Gayle, and one of Darlow, Woodman & Gillespie will be gone sharpish, potentially Hayden & Hendrick too.

So we'll be getting shot of 3 of our 4 keepers then? And Gayle and Hendrick will be going nowhere as they're on a lot more money than they'd get anywhere else.

40 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Anyone who's turning their nose up at players like Trippier whilst in our current position are a bit silly I reckon.

Good thing nobody is turning their nose up at him then. All that's being discussed is the fee someone mentioned had been quoted, and how that could be problematic due to FFP and until we know what kind of money the new owners are prepared to invest in new players.

If money isn't an issue for the new owners, if FFP isn't going to come back and bite us in the arse in a couple of years leaving us unable to replace a 35+ years old Trippier then please, throw in another £5m for good measure to get him for all I care.

3 hours ago, ManDoon said:

It’s not my money so I don’t care if we “overpay” Man United bought VDB for how much and he barely plays. Who cares? 25m for a player of his quality is absolutely fine anyway. We paid 40 for Joelinton. 

Difference in both of those examples are that they were 23 years old when they were bought. Man Utd would easily recoup more than half of the fee they paid for VDB if they sold him today since the potential is still there. Joelinton...well...let's wait a few more matches and see how things go :lol: 

Hypothetically, if we fast forward to 1st of February and we're looking at the ins and outs, and we have Trippier + un-inspiring loans and/or free signings with Howe saying the opportunity to sign Trippier was too good to pass up, but it came at the expense of strengthening other positions with permanent signings, would anyone be happy we got him?