Transfer rumours

Yorkie

6 hours ago, Conjo said:

Still belive we're getting mugged with that price. As was mentioned on here earlier, man utd was prepared to pay 15m or so 6 months ago but hey, it's not my money. As long as there's sufficient funds left to significantly improve Cb, cm & back-up/prospect CF I really don't care.

Won’t be getting mugged if he serves his purpose and helps keep us up 

We have to sign a few players that do not have much or any sell on value after doing a job / serving a purpose 

Team has to be a blend of experience and Youth

Something Ashley didn’t grasp or want to grasp 

24 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

It’s not even close to being mugged he’s an absolutely quality player, still playing at the highest level with no serious signs of decline.

Absolutely. England’s most consistent player at the last World Cup, still one of Southgate’s most trusted players and been an integral part of one of Europe’s elite teams.

Meanwhile we’ve got Jacob Murphy and Matt Ritchie at full back.

Trippier would be the best signing we’ve made in a long time, especially in our current plight. Just keep him off Fun88. 

Not sold on Wijnaldum being an answer to our current problems. He's scored goals in a poor Newcastle side but so did Joe Willock. No doubt a good player but he didn't grab games and drive us forward before and not sure he would now. 

I do think Wijnaldum improved aspects of his game at Liverpool due to being involved in the game more, though here he wouldn't see as much as the ball

Wijnaldum would be good if we are getting someone like Kamara as well but wouldn't be happy if he is the only CM we sign

5 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Bit undecided on Wijnaldum tbh.

Obviously a good player and better than what we have but we know he can be a little inconsistent.

I don't think we're anywhere near attractive enough to sign consistently good footballers. 

That said, I don't think Wijnaldum would want to sign for us anyway. 

15 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Not sold on Wijnaldum being an answer to our current problems. He's scored goals in a poor Newcastle side but so did Joe Willock. No doubt a good player but he didn't grab games and drive us forward before and not sure he would now. 

He never played centre mid for us though

You lot are off your rocker if you wouldn't take Wijnaldum on loan. He's been pretty consistently one of the best midfield players in Europe, has experience of the the league and even the club and gets you goals from midfield. I'd feel a lot better about our prospects for the next half season with the likes of Trippier and him in.

Honestly we already fought a relegation battle with Wijnaldum in the team. Eventually he was one of many very talented players we went down with. I remember him shying away from challenges against shite teams and letting Sunderland for example win the midfield battle by being a coward. He wasn't what we needed then in the prime of his youth and supposedly everything to prove. I don't think he is the one we want to give a last pay-day now. Another Michael Owen situation in the making putting himself before the team is bound to happen. I would steer well clear.

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

You lot are off your rocker if you wouldn't take Wijnaldum on loan. He's been pretty consistently one of the best midfield players in Europe, has experience of the the league and even the club and gets you goals from midfield. I'd feel a lot better about our prospects for the next half season with the likes of Trippier and him in.

But we've also seen how he can go missing in a relegation battle.

For better and some for worse, Wijnaldum isn't the same player we had here. Getting him on loan would be a huge move. The lad left one of the best clubs in the world, turned down one of the best clubs in the world to sign for one of the best clubs in the world. Little old Newcastle have no rights to be linked to players like him never mind turn their noses up at him. [emoji38]

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

But we've also seen how he can go missing in a relegation battle.

We've seen many of our players and managers go missing in a relegation battle, but we haven't seen many of them subsequently form an integral part of an all conquering midfield and score goals for fun for club and country. Also, I'd snap your hands of for a midfield player scoring 11 goals for us right now if that's what people consider going missing in a relegation battle.

Wijnaldum definitely played centre mid for us a few times and was non existent. He did great at Liverpool in a very defined role in a 3. I think he's a complementary player in a good side rather than a game changer in a weaker side

I'm in no way turning my nose up at Wijnaldum, he is quality, when surrounded by quality. I just don't know if we have that. If ASM can start getting the balance right, between using the players around him and doing something magical, Wijnaldum would be a great signing.

3 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

We've seen many of our players and managers go missing in a relegation battle, but we haven't seen many of them subsequently form an integral part of an all conquering midfield and score goals for fun for club and country. Also, I'd snap your hands of for a midfield player scoring 11 goals for us right now if that's what people consider going missing in a relegation battle.

He scored 2 goals in a dead rubber in the last game and went 16 games without scoring before that

5 minutes ago, triggs said:

Wijnaldum definitely played centre mid for us a few times and was non existent. He did great at Liverpool in a very defined role in a 3. I think he's a complementary player in a good side rather than a game changer in a weaker side

I've seen enough of Holland over the years to know better than that. I think he is criminally underrated because he doesn't do much fancy stuff, but for quiet efficiency and making teams perform better there's not many better in his position imo. He may be getting on a bit, but to help our cause on loan for 6 months we've got precious little to lose unless people think we're better off with the likes of Hayden and Willock?

Edited by Unbelievable

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

I've seen enough of Holland over the years to know better than that. I think he is criminally underrated because he doesn't do much fancy stuff, but for quiet efficiency and making teams perform better there's not many better in his position imo. He may be getting on a bit, but to help our cause on loan for 6 months we've got precious little to lose unless people think we're better off with the likes of Hayden Willock?

It definitely depends upon who else we get. Right now we struggle to string 3 passes together, Wijnaldum might increase that to 4, when we can get it to him.