Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Just now, Unbelievable said:

I've seen enough of Holland over the years to know better than that. I think he is criminally underrated because he doesn't do much fancy stuff, but for quiet efficiency and making teams perform better there's not many better in his position imo. He may be getting on a bit, but to help our cause on loan for 6 months we've got precious little to lose unless people think we're better off with the likes of Hayden Willock?

Holland were the worst they have been in living memory when Wijnaldum was the main man until a few world class players came along

4 minutes ago, triggs said:

He scored 2 goals in a dead rubber in the last game and went 16 games without scoring before that

Not sure how you can blame relegation on a scoreless run from a midfielder who turned out to be our top scorer that season like. Looking at that squad that Schteve had at his disposal it's criminal he couldn't get a tune out of them. Wijnaldum was the least of our problems that season, and I think his subsequent career proves that beyond a shred of doubt.

Just now, Unbelievable said:

Not sure how you can blame relegation on a scoreless run from a midfielder who turned out to be our top scorer that season like. Looking at that squad that Schteve had at his disposal it's criminal he couldn't get a tune out of them. Wijnaldum was the least of our problems that season, and I think his subsequent career proves that beyond a shred of doubt.

His subsequent career has nothing to do with his time at Newcastle. Going 16 games without scoring at the crucial stage of the season where you got 11 goals is the dictionary definition of going missing in a relegation battle

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I also don’t understand the bashing of Gini given that everyone was pretty shite for us that year. He has improved drastically from when he was with us and would walk into our team and easily be by far and away the best midfielder we have 

2 minutes ago, triggs said:

His subsequent career has nothing to do with his time at Newcastle. Going 16 games without scoring at the crucial stage of the season where you got 11 goals is the dictionary definition of going missing in a relegation battle

For a striker yes. For a midfield player who has scored double figures over the season I beg to differ.

I have really mixed feelings on Gini. On one hand he score a lot of goals and can play in a team that will presses a lot  And from what I remember he has a great injury record. But I just can’t get over how many times he went missing during that season.

3 minutes ago, triggs said:

And if its unfair to judge him on goals his general performances were even worse than the lack of goals suggest. Rafa dropped him for the last few vital games of the season he was so bad

Absolutely spot on I was over the moon when we signed him, one of the biggest disappointment’s in recent years in my opinion. 

Absolutely fucking anonymous, I don’t buy any of this his work goes unnoticed.

Edited by Whitley mag

Think people have to forget the Gini of 15/16 who more often than not played supporting the striker.

Doubt anyone would turn their nose up at a player who’d just spent 5 years as a regular in Liverpool’s central-midfield, being a key part in a title and Champions League win within the last 3 years and earned a move to PSG.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Some Newcastle fans baffle me. Some people aren't bothered about us signing Trippier whilst others aren't sure about Wijnaldum. What planet are these people on? Both are streets ahead of anything we have at the club right now and would walk into our first team whilst instantly improving us. But some people are unsure? Mental!

1 minute ago, Scoot said:

Some Newcastle fans baffle me. Some people aren't bothered about us signing Trippier whilst others aren't sure about Wijnaldum. What planet are these people on? Both are streets ahead of anything we have at the club right now and would walk into our first team whilst instantly improving us. But some people are unsure? Mental!

Maybe its because some people remember how he reacted to the last relegation fight he was in, for him it was more like a relegation surrender.

Just now, Teasy said:

Maybe its because some people remember how he reacted to the last relegation fight he was in, for him it was more like a relegation surrender.

I suspect remember the Improvement in him after McClaren left and Rafa came. I also remember him playing well for Liverpool for 5 years. If you want to vase your opinion on him whilst being managed by Steve McClaren, then that's fine.

1 minute ago, Scoot said:

I suspect remember the Improvement in him after McClaren left and Rafa came. I also remember him playing well for Liverpool for 5 years. If you want to vase your opinion on him whilst being managed by Steve McClaren, then that's fine.

There was no improvement in him when Rafa came in. He got worse if anything. He was dropped for the final few important games of the season.

He then scored 2 goals against Spurs when we were already relegated

Edited by triggs

1 minute ago, triggs said:

There was no improvement in him when Rafa came in. He got worse if anything. He was dropped for the final few important games of the season.

My point still stands. He'd walk into this team.

I respectfully disagree - I think Gini would be a fine addition and his ability to retain possession, keep things ticking, his work-rate and ability to pop up in the goals is exactly what we need. Not to mention developing his leadership abilities and overall play under and in some top top teams. 

I don't mind people disagreeing on how he would perform for us now, its just opinions. I just get triggered when people make excuses for him when he was here before when he was an utter disgrace :lol:

Edited by triggs

10 minutes ago, triggs said:

Having just checked this, he started the final 3 games of the season. He was "dropped" for the City and Liverpool games. Started 8 out of 10 games under Rafa.