The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

23 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

This is their 6th consecutive season in the PL and they've survived before when they've looked doomed, they're no Fulham.

I've had a look out of interest:

20/21: 30 points after 28 games (15th at 1.07 PPG), finished on 39 points (17th at 0.9 PPG for the last 10). 

19/20: 38 points after 28 games (9th at 1.36 PPG) finished on 54 points (10th at 1.6 PPG for the last ten).

18/19: 30 points after 28 games (15th at 1.07), finished on 40 points (15th at 1 PPG for the last ten).

In the last three seasons their highest output in the last 10 was an increase of 0.24 PPG. If they manage that in their current season, that's an increase to 0.99 PPG and they'll finish on 31 points. 

I'm most worried about Burnley myself, I absolutely do not want to go into that final game with anything on the line...

I wish I could say I was comfortable with out current lead, but we have a lot of hard games left and had a lot of luck on our side during the unbeaten run.

Burnley’s run in looks very good for them on paper with a lot of points achievable, but we all know that it never works out like that. I think it’s better for us to have Everton beating them on Wednesday and I think they can do it.

I’m happy that we got to this points total already considering where we were at the start of the year. We now have these three homes games coming up and then Norwich away to make sure if safety and then onwards and upwards 

22 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

I'm most worried about Burnley myself, I absolutely do not want to go into that final game with anything on the line...

I wish I could say I was comfortable with out current lead, but we have a lot of hard games left and had a lot of luck on our side during the unbeaten run.

I have to say I'm sick of Burnley always seeming to have games in hand. Still a way to go and we can easily get dragged back into real trouble if we're careless, but it's always worth pointing out that Burnley and Watford have to significantly increase the rate at which they pick up points to even match the 31 we have now.

59 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I've had a look out of interest:

20/21: 30 points after 28 games (15th at 1.07 PPG), finished on 39 points (17th at 0.9 PPG for the last 10). 

19/20: 38 points after 28 games (9th at 1.36 PPG) finished on 54 points (10th at 1.6 PPG for the last ten).

18/19: 30 points after 28 games (15th at 1.07), finished on 40 points (15th at 1 PPG for the last ten).

In the last three seasons their highest output in the last 10 was an increase of 0.24 PPG. If they manage that in their current season, that's an increase to 0.99 PPG and they'll finish on 31 points. 

To add a bit of a comparison to this, I've taken our last couple of seasons under Bruce. 

20/21: 28 points after 28 games (17th at 1 PPG), finished on 45 points (12th at 1.7 PPG for the last 10). 

19/20: 30 points after 28 games (14th at 1.07 PPG), finished on 44 from 38 (13th 1.4 PPG for the last 10). 

Even under Steve Bruce our worst improvement has been better than Burnley’s best improvement in the last ten matches. It goes to show they're not miracle workers at all.

Even if all objective logic totally went out of the window and we somehow morphed back into pre-Howe Newcastle who took 5 points from 11 games (0.45 PPG), for the remainder of the season, we'd still pick up another four points and finish on 35, which in all liklihood would be too much for Burnley. 

Edited by The Prophet

Guest HTT II

I want the current bottom three to keep losing to be honest, do that and they go down and we stay up. I couldn’t care less about Everton or Leeds, although I ideally want us to start looking up the table and aiming to finish as high as we can as opposed to just avoiding relegation by any means how which will require teams below us to keep losing. This is in our own hands!

20 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I want the current bottom three to keep losing to be honest, do that and they go down and we stay up. I couldn’t care less about Everton or Leeds, although I ideally want us to start looking up the table and aiming to finish as high as we can as opposed to just avoiding relegation by any means how which will require teams below us to keep losing. This is in our own hands!

ditto , it’s been the bottom 3 looking in trouble for a long time which included us 

On 04/04/2022 at 14:30, The Prophet said:

Burnley are this seasons Fulham.

Aye. Weghorst is the Maja. Shitting ourselves he’d score the goal to send us down because it’d be typical Newcastle after an initial decent start, but done bugger all since.

4 minutes ago, Menace said:

Not really, have you seen Everton's fixtures 

Yes, I've seen their fixtures. At this stage of the season you want to be playing sides with nothing to play for and Everton have a lot of games left vs sides that are or will already be on the beach.

ManU already look like they've got their flip flops on, Leicester have nothing to play for and have been up and down all season and then they're going to be playing both Brentford and Palace in the last few weeks, neither of which will have anything riding on the game. They've got chances in all of those 4 home games, heck even Chelsea at the rate they're going.

it’s nowhere near as over as people are thinking, we are still in serious danger because we cant score and look bad defensively again 

Edited by nufcnick

Blatantly obvious now that the 3 points against us will be the ones that keep Everton up. And we really need a draw as an absolute minimum on Friday or the nerves will really start to jangle.

Just now, Thumbheed said:

FFP would surely fuck Everton if they go down?

They're fucked I think if they drop yeah. Already in FFP shit, have very few sellable assets and have shit players on big contracts and high wages that no one will want. Then they've got the stadium stuff going on as well. Absolutely knackered if they drop, definitely the worse run club in the league by far.

7 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

Yes, I've seen their fixtures. At this stage of the season you want to be playing sides with nothing to play for and Everton have a lot of games left vs sides that are or will already be on the beach.

ManU already look like they've got their flip flops on, Leicester have nothing to play for and have been up and down all season and then they're going to be playing both Brentford and Palace in the last few weeks, neither of which will have anything riding on the game. They've got chances in all of those 4 home games, heck even Chelsea at the rate they're going.

it’s nowhere near as over as people are thinking, we are still in serious danger because we cant score and look bad defensively again 

Everton have to play 6 games in May. They’ll be fucked. Mentally and physically.

They’ll need to win at least 2 and draw 1 of their last 9 games while we go 11 games without picking up a point. Could happen but highly unlikely 

Edited by gdm

Can see Everton getting another 8 points maximum from their fixtures and that's assuming they actually beat decent sides at home. We may already have enough tbh but I think just 4 or 5 more points absolutely seals it. 538 have us at 5% to go down. We're used to being pessimistic but the numbers favour us strongly right now. 

Man Utd better fucking smash Everton on Sunday, the useless cunts. Would be typical for them to put a pathetic performance in.

Can’t comprehend how excited Liverpool fans must be to play Everton in a few weeks :lol: What a complete stuffing and enjoyable day that’ll be, could be completely fucked by that point.

8 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

And we arent playing any more games this season? We are also playing against flip flop teams. And Everton arent looking bad defensively? 

Im not saying its over, and i have been really pessimistic in the past, but we have winnable games on our hands.