The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

The only slight worry is the lack of goals, we don’t really even look like scoring at the minute. It really is a miracle we are in the position we are in considering the attacking options Howe has had for the majority of the season.

1 hour ago, rgk_lfc said:

I know us fans generally tend to oscillate between extreme optimism and extreme pessimism, but I am finding it hard to believe that some of you think that there is a chance you will get relegated. I posted on this message board in the first week of February that if you defeat Everton (and you did), you will be safe. Every metric associated with your games was looking positive and increasing under Eddie Howe. 

Burnley had just lost 4 games in a row. Hadn't scored in over 250 minutes of football. They gifted two penalties to Everton and Everton still managed to lose.  That Everton (7 losses in 9 games) is suddenly going to go on a run and overtake you in the points table? Add to that Eddie Howe is several orders of magnitude better manager than Frank Lampard. You will be higher than 40 points when the season ends. 

By the way, I don't think Everton is going down. They are still more than capable of getting points, particularly at home.

Good post. I've tried to explain in other threads just how improbable relegation is. That's not to say its impossible, but it requires not just one, but a number of unlikely events to come about. If I had any doubt whatsoever, I'd be having some of the 25/1 on offer at the bookies.

I'm on the fence with Everton, they need at least a couple of wins from Leicester, Palace and Brentford at Goodison, or Watford away. I can't see them getting much elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Good post. I've tried to explain in other threads just how improbable relegation is. That's not to say its impossible, but it requires not just one, but a number of unlikely events to come about. If I had any doubt whatsoever, I'd be having some of the 25/1 on offer at the bookies.

I'm on the fence with Everton, they need at least a couple of wins from Leicester, Palace and Brentford at Goodison, or Watford away. I can't see them getting much elsewhere.

It would take a few teams going on a run of games they've all struggled to do all season and for us to completely capitulate, it's easy to get emotional on the back of some bad results but my head tells me we don't have anything to worry about. I'd argue that 35 points keep you up this season, but I want us to get more and be safe as quick as possible. Everton on the other hand, they have got a win in them but seem to be getting progressively worse, they can't defend and look disjointed up front, where as Burnley look like they can grind out some results, they might not be free scoring but generally look decent defensively. If I were an Everton supporter I would be extremely worried.

17 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It would require two among three of Everton, Burnley, Watford to completely outperform their results from the first 30 games. In your case, I see it as two seasons - before Howe and Howe. It would require you to completely collapse on your performance in the Howe era.

Even if Howe used the international break to rethink his philosophy and decides that rather than counterpressing and positioning, he should look upto a management veteran of 1000 games and copy that football style, you still would have enough to get over the line. 

2 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

It would require two among three of Everton, Burnley, Watford to completely outperform their results from the first 30 games. In your case, I see it as two seasons - before Howe and Howe. It would require you to completely collapse on your performance in the Howe era.

Even if Howe used the international break to rethink his philosophy and decides that rather than counterpressing and positioning, he should look upto a management veteran of 1000 games and copy that football style, you still would have enough to get over the line. 

[emoji38]

5 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

People revise their opinions on a week to week basis, as if their opinion ladt week never existed. Last week we were confident of going to Spurs and nicking something, now we're afraid of Wolves coming to St. James' on a Friday night?

Yes, because at the bottom of the table things can change so quickly, one win can make a huge difference. Had Everton held on to the win or draw last night I would be very confident of us surviving. Last week has gone, it's the current circumstance that matters.

If we win tomorrow I'll be back to being very confident of us staying up.

Btw, I am still confident of staying up, I'm just shit scared of it potentially going down to that last match against Burnley.

Edited by Jackie Broon

5 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Yes, because at the bottom of the table things can change so quickly, one win can make a huge difference. Had Everton held on to the win or draw last night I would be very confident of us surviving. Last week has gone, it's the current circumstance that matters.

Everton had one win a few weeks ago against us but decided to follow that up with a comprehensive 4-0 bumming by Palace, a defeat at West Ham and last night’s shit show.

One win isn’t the problem for the teams at the bottom, they need three or four consecutive wins to catch us and that’s never happening.

For every win they get, they’ll have two or three defeats.

18 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Btw, I am still confident of staying up, I'm just shit scared of it potentially going down to that last match against Burnley.

Aye. I just realised this is the relegationometer thread. I was referring to how people viewed our chances in individual games. My bad.

Edited to add: And what we need in the transfer window. Somebody just hinted we need 18 new players FFS.

Edited by Happinesstan

On 07/04/2022 at 14:18, rgk_lfc said:

I know us fans generally tend to oscillate between extreme optimism and extreme pessimism, but I am finding it hard to believe that some of you think that there is a chance you will get relegated. I posted on this message board in the first week of February that if you defeat Everton (and you did), you will be safe. Every metric associated with your games was looking positive and increasing under Eddie Howe. 

Burnley had just lost 4 games in a row. Hadn't scored in over 250 minutes of football. They gifted two penalties to Everton and Everton still managed to lose.  That Everton (7 losses in 9 games) is suddenly going to go on a run and overtake you in the points table? Add to that Eddie Howe is several orders of magnitude better manager than Frank Lampard. You will be higher than 40 points when the season ends. 

By the way, I don't think Everton is going down. They are still more than capable of getting points, particularly at home.

It's like motorsport - when someone is trying to catch the person in front, then someone comes up behind them - they become focused in not losing the place than in trying to catch the person up.

This is what I think will happen to the bottom 4, namely Everton will be trying to just get more points than those below - as the gap to the team above, whilst reachable - isn't the same to the team below - hence if they lose and Burnley win their next games the pressure will be on them and not specifically focused on us.

Next games are -

Everton - Man U - Sat 12:30

Watford - Leeds - Sat 15:00

Norwich - Burnley - Sun 14:00

Would like Man U, Leeds, Norwich Wins.

Just now, midds said:

1 more win needed. 2 more means we can throw the last game and relegate Everton. Which would be awful obviously. 

Oh my God don't I'm already erect after that win.