The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I'd like to think we can beat Palace and Wolves at home. Leicester we should be capable of at least a point. I don't trust us to get anything at Norwich or Burnley, so hopefully we can do enough in these next few games post Spurs.

45 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

We'll get the points we need from one of or both of Wolves and Leicester, Norwich and Burnley. Maybe Arsenal as well, depending on what the top 4 is looking like.

I hope we aren't looking to get some of the points we need on the final day at Burnley.

Edited by Sean

1 minute ago, Sean said:

I hope we aren't looking to get some of the points we need on the final day at Burnley.

We have Palace, Wolves and Leicester all to play at home still. Wolves have lost 3 of their last 5, Leicester are having a poor season by their standards and Palace aren't great shakes. I can see us being more or less safe by full time away at Norwich tbh. Would be 12 points left to play for by then and can see us being around that margin clear of 18th by then. Burnley can be a break glass in case of emergency fixture. :lol:

8 hours ago, neesy111 said:

I blame this thread.

Didn't someone say we could go for top 4 with 3-4 signings next season?

If nothing else, at least the last couple of results have shown us we are still a long way from challenging the best teams. We've had a great run of results, and that's been great to steer us to safety, right now we should just be thankful for that. We're still not that good though, and we will need to buy some genuinely good players to complement a decent defence. We are good at keeping teams out, not so much at actually scoring goals.

Guest neesy111
28 minutes ago, TRon said:

If nothing else, at least the last couple of results have shown us we are still a long way from challenging the best teams. We've had a great run of results, and that's been great to steer us to safety, right now we should just be thankful for that. We're still not that good though, and we will need to buy some genuinely good players to complement a decent defence. We are good at keeping teams out, not so much at actually scoring goals.

Yes, keeps people fully grounded to how big the job is still.

Just had a look at Burnley/Watford/Leeds/Everton games left and I reckon they can all look at a generous maximum of 12/13 points.

We are nine points ahead so I reckon a win and a couple of draws will see us safe...

To reasaure people. 

Watford are on 22 points. They have 9 games left and three of those are against "big six" opponents. They realistically have 18 points to play for and are 9 behind us. Their current PPG would leave them on 29 points.

Burnley are on 21 points. They have 11 games left and two of those are against "big six" opponents. They realistically have 27 points to play for and are 10 behind us. Their current PPG would leave them on 30 points.

Edited by The Prophet

After back to back defeats, especially late on I get why emotions would be running high but bigger picture we are sitting pretty (Assuming you see the objective as simply stay up, I've never bought in or cared too much for finishing top 10, that's for next season)

After Watford we were in a dire situation, 4 points from safety having played 2 games more and in terms of Everton we were 11 points behind them having played 2 games more

Fast forward to now and we are 9 points away from 18th, if we assume the worst and Everton/Burnley win both games in hand we are still 5 points from 18th position. So that is 2 wins that would be needed assuming we keep losing. 

But if we look at it logically you might get 1 team showing top 4 form but 3? It's extremely likely to the point it's almost impossible. Every single team below us would swap positions with us in a heartbeat so bigger picture is we are doing more than fine. 

6 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

After back to back defeats, especially late on I get why emotions would be running high but bigger picture we are sitting pretty (Assuming you see the objective as simply stay up, I've never bought in or cared too much for finishing top 10, that's for next season)

After Watford we were in a dire situation, 4 points from safety having played 2 games more and in terms of Everton we were 11 points behind them having played 2 games more

Fast forward to now and we are 9 points away from 18th, if we assume the worst and Everton/Burnley win both games in hand we are still 5 points from 18th position. So that is 2 wins that would be needed assuming we keep losing. 

But if we look at it logically you might get 1 team showing top 4 form but 3? It's extremely likely to the point it's almost impossible. Every single team below us would swap positions with us in a heartbeat so bigger picture is we are doing more than fine. 

They can't both win both games in hand as one of them is against each other, for what it's worth.

Just now, The Prophet said:

They can't both win both games in hand as one of them is against each other, for what it's worth.

Even better :D

Plus I guess the other teams will play each other too and take points off one another

That little run from Wolves to Norwich, will decide how comfortable it's going to be. 5+ points and we'll be cruising, anything less and it might get a bit nervy.

Given we're quite difficult to beat at home I'll be shocked if we don't win at least one of those home games. I fully expect us to beat Norwich as well.

Hopefully results go our way so by the time we play Spurs it's basically a free hit with no pressure

And on paper the results should go our way (although there is bound to be the odd surprise result)

Edited by Geordie Ahmed

Still not 100% we will stay up. :lol:

Suppose that’s natural being an NUFC fan. Just hope the confidence we’ve played with doesn’t evaporate. Suppose this break and some warm weather team bonding etc will help with that.

35 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

That little run from Wolves to Norwich, will decide how comfortable it's going to be. 5+ points and we'll be cruising, anything less and it might get a bit nervy.

Given we're quite difficult to beat at home I'll be shocked if we don't win at least one of those home games. I fully expect us to beat Norwich as well.

I know our record there is dreadful, but given how dire they are and that we may have key players back, I'm treating it as a banker and essentially looking at us being on 34 points. Win it, and pick up another one - or three draws - elsewhere and we'll be good.

Like Southampton away, I see no reason why we shouldn't be looking to beat - and be capable of beating - Wolves, Leicester or Palace at home.

8 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Still not 100% we will stay up. :lol:

Suppose that’s natural being an NUFC fan. Just hope the confidence we’ve played with doesn’t evaporate. Suppose this break and some warm weather team bonding etc will help with that.

I'm not at 100% either but that's normal

I try to look at it as objectively as I can and from this situation it would take something ridiculous for us to get relegated. Not only would we have to keep losing (possible) but at least 3 clubs would need to really string a number of wins on the bounce (unlikely)

9 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I'm not at 100% either but that's normal

I try to look at it as objectively as I can and from this situation it would take something ridiculous for us to get relegated. Not only would we have to keep losing (possible) but at least 3 clubs would need to really string a number of wins on the bounce (unlikely)

Everton, Leeds and Brentford are easily going to do enough to pass us if that happens, then it just needs to be one from Burnley and Watford. Burnley only need two more wins than us to make our match with them a relegation decider in that circumstance.

We have a really tough run-in and we're not out of danger yet.