Newcastle United 1 - 1 Manchester United (27/12/2021)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

Murphy is such a weird player to try work out. At times he looks like a competition winner, the next he looks like an ideal winger. 

Couldn't really fault him tonight. Not really sure where that performance came from.

6 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

That’s a bit of a disaster in the end. Two best players injured and they were awful and there for the taking.

Running out of games to say “we’ll be alright if we keep playing like that.” We need wins and a lot of them!

Expected to lose by a couple, mind. So probably being a bit negative. But after seeing how crap they were and how uncomfortable they looked with that formation. We should have won that. 

They weren't just crap and there for the taking. That was down to how we were setup and how aggressive we were all over the pitch. Have to give the boys their credit. If we keep these levels we are going to go on a very good run at some point. The right signings will be massive.

Survival now comes down to having at least two good central defenders, right back, central midfielder, attacking midfielder and striker in before mid January.  All have to be genuinely good quality, we can't rely on Wilson now and might have lost St Maximin so we need to make sure we've got replacements.

I thought the defending for their goal was poor. 

The team showed great fighting spirit and energy closing down today and were really unlucky. 

Unfortunately against an awful man utd, we really needed to win this game. We haven't and we have now lost our 2 goal threats for a minimum few weeks. 

It's all the hallmarks of a relegation season because we just can't seem to hang on in games and win when we need it most. 

3 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Who’s the kid with Mehrdad and Staveley? Didn’t realise they had a daughter.

Did you just answer you're own question? 

Edited by Slim

7 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Best atmosphere I’ve ever witnessed at SJP, and I’ve been to 95% of our home games since 2003

it came across on TV quite well.

If the crown prince was watching tonight you’d think he’d likely feel pretty good about signing a massive check. The potential here is absolutely massive.

Just now, KaKa said:

They weren't just crap and there for the taking. That was down to how we were setup and how aggressive we were all over the pitch. Have to give the boys their credit. If we keep these levels we are going to go on a very good run at some point. The right signings will be massive.

For sure. We made them play that straight through ball that never worked and the high press unsettled them. We played well. They were awful. Yet again, we still didn’t win. 

The players worked their bollocks off and the gameplan was spot on. To a man, Man U were terrible and there were individual mistakes all over the place. The two don’t need to be mutually exclusive. 

3 minutes ago, midds said:

Snidey as fuck from the interviewer? Or am I being a bit sensitive? 

Nah I took it as just saying he was really good.  Longstaffs talking shite that it's a disgrace he's had flack.  He was crap for a while, he might have seen the quality in training but it hadn't been seen on the pitch until the last several games. 

Edited by Teasy

Definitely feels like Howe's philosophy is starting to click, the players have regained the lost fitness under Bruce and the energy levels are rising. We're taking the game to teams and we're pressing high and with energy, Joelinton definitely the outstanding improvement, tireless and uncompromising, always nipping at heels to get the ball back and always looking forward to bring the ball into attack. Very promising signs in comparison to 3 or 4 games ago.

It was always going to take time to fumigate the Steve's out, I'm hoping this is it now, but very promising signs in the last few games against some very tough competition (Leicester apart).

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

I was arguing for xG with mates the other day. But that’s a head scratcher to say the least :lol: 

Not really. Apart from ASM's horror miss did you have any clear cut chances? Felt like the majority of shots were very comfortable for De Gea. Cavani had two clear cut from 12 yards and another from 18 yards when there was no keeper in nets. 

Jacob Murphy isn't expected to curl one in and neither is Almiron from outside the box. :lol:

Saying that, not the biggest fan of xG myself. 

1 minute ago, alexf said:

I thought the defending for their goal was poor. 

The team showed great fighting spirit and energy closing down today and were really unlucky. 

Unfortunately against an awful man utd, we really needed to win this game. We haven't and we have now lost our 2 goal threats for a minimum few weeks. 

It's all the hallmarks of a relegation season because we just can't seem to hang on in games and win when we need it most. 

On the replay Cavani scuffed it off the side of his foot and that’s the only reason it went in. We had numbers back, doing the right things and it was just unlucky. Proper shit FIFA goal, the type that makes you hoy your controller out the window