Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

Just now, gbandit said:

I wonder how much we could recoup for Wood if we tried to sell him in the summer window, £13m?

Doubt it. We paid that much because we had to panic. £7m to a championship team at best.

45 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Pickford, Maguire & Shaw are all talented footballers - mismanaged at club level. England play to someone like Maguire's strengths.

I stand by this especially about Manchester United. They have good players with decent to great mentalities. It's terrible coaching, management and leadership that is to blame.

Great mentalities :lol: You keep drumming this. Yea there’s a lot of reasons why things are bad but the players mentality overall is one big reason too. No matter what you say. Not every player..

18 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Lukaku available for 63 million supposedly, any takers ?

“Newly-rich Newcastle were widely seen as one of the few clubs that would not be put off by the financial package required, even though it is unclear if they have any interest. But it is understood Lukaku would not entertain a move to St James’ Park.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-fc-romelu-lukaku-transfer-news-ac-milan-newcastle-b997605.html

headed back to Italy I reckon. 

Edited by Manxst

34 minutes ago, wormy said:

Call it bias but I'd honestly rather we gave Dubs another year than tie ourselves down to Pickford for whatever transfer fee/wages it would take to get him.

Lets his emotions get the better of him and seems to have a howler in him way too often. And Jesus Christ those arms. The worldie saves he does manage don't make up for his faults if we're looking to actually push on up the league imo.

I'd rather have Mike Hooper in nets (and God knows what size he is now!) than that mackem bellend! I genuinely can't believe anyone thinks that he'd sign for us and that we'd even take him! The relationship is pure hatred between us and him!

Edited by Paully

Guest HTT II

Pickford is a very good ‘keeper, but loses his head, mainly at club level. He suffers with mental health problems and I know he has been seeing someone to help him with that. He’d be a canny upgrade on Dubravka, but it’s never going to happen.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Pickford to us makes precisely zero sense so we can disregard. 

Dubravka is more than good enough for now, money needs to be spent elsewhere first!

24 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Great mentalities :lol: You keep drumming this. Yea there’s a lot of reasons why things are bad but the players mentality overall is one big reason too. No matter what you say. Not every player..

I'm sure some have bad mentalities but players mentality is not a big reason for their poor on-pitch performances.

Biggest reason is hiring the Spartak Moscow DoF as their manager and the Modle manager before him. Not suitable for the job at all and ended up disastrous. The fact they did ok with Ole for so long is testament to the plyers mentality.

3 minutes ago, tom1988 said:

Chelsea can't sell at the moment though can they? I thought as part of the sanctions they weren't allowed to collect money as well as spend. 

They can. The money just gets held.

Guest HTT II
53 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'm sure some have bad mentalities but players mentality is not a big reason for their poor on-pitch performances.

Biggest reason is hiring the Spartak Moscow DoF as their manager and the Modle manager before him. Not suitable for the job at all and ended up disastrous. The fact they did ok with Ole for so long is testament to the plyers mentality.

There are so many dynamics to being a successful player never mind a team and in part it’s down to mental strength, confidence and of course fitness. We’ve seen that with Shelvey who is still not that good, but has improved massively because his mentality now is strong, sometimes that can come from within which is why Ronaldo has been so great everywhere he’s been, but also it requires a good manager, coaching and the right environment. Every dynamic at Man Utd right now is wrong, but individuals don’t have the right mentality either which just compounds everything. One of the biggest factors in England’s recent success is because the mentality is now spot on, and shared between the players and the coaches and of course the manager. If you have the wrong mentality, or a bad mentality, you could have all the skills in the world and you won’t succeed, be it individually, in a great team or under a great manager. 

Guest HTT II
54 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think Lukaku would be brilliant for us. But the total package would be £100m+, wages are unfeasable.

We could build a team around Lukaku to get us in the CL or close.

But it's such a big jump salary wise £££.

Not the right profile of player.

He’s obviously a top player, but I’m not so sure his game is perfectly suited to how teams now line up, how they play and how tactical our game has become here in the Premier League anymore. He’d obviously be more than decent for us, or would at least score goals, but in a top team here, I don’t think he’s suitable. You’d have to build an entire team around him for example.

43 minutes ago, HTT II said:

There are so many dynamics to being a successful player never mind a team and in part it’s down to mental strength, confidence and of course fitness. We’ve seen that with Shelvey who is still not that good, but has improved massively because his mentality now is strong, sometimes that can come from within which is why Ronaldo has been so great everywhere he’s been, but also it requires a good manager, coaching and the right environment. Every dynamic at Man Utd right now is wrong, but individuals don’t have the right mentality either which just compounds everything. One of the biggest factors in England’s recent success is because the mentality is now spot on, and shared between the players and the coaches and of course the manager. If you have the wrong mentality, or a bad mentality, you could have all the skills in the world and you won’t succeed, be it individually, in a great team or under a great manager. 

Agreed. I'd say the last 2 managers are as bad comparatively as Bruce was here. So you're seeing the players perform well below their level.

44 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He’s obviously a top player, but I’m not so sure his game is perfectly suited to how teams now line up, how they play and how tactical our game has become here in the Premier League anymore. He’d obviously be more than decent for us, or would at least score goals, but in a top team here, I don’t think he’s suitable. You’d have to build an entire team around him for example.

Not sure I agree. He just needs a team that can play a vertical game. If you watch Chelsea, the build up is slow and short. He would fly in any Conte system as he did at Inter. I think he would be good at Liverpool if he was able to press, they are always looking to play balls in behind and that suits his game. He would alternate between CF and RF. At Chelsea he never runs the channels but he did that at Inter, Belgium and Everton. He's particularly devastating from the right.

Guest HTT II
Just now, The College Dropout said:

Agreed. I'd say the last 2 managers are as bad comparatively as Bruce was here. So you're seeing the players perform well below their level.

Not sure I agree. He just needs a team that can play a vertical game. If you watch Chelsea, the build up is slow and short. He would fly in any Conte system as he did at Inter. I think he would be good at Liverpool if he was able to press, they are always looking to play balls in behind and that suits his game. He would alternate between CF and RF. At Chelsea he never runs the channels but he did that at Inter, Belgium and Everton. He's particularly devastating from the right.

I’ve only seen him for the teams he’s played for here and of course the odd Belgium match. I just don’t think he is versatile enough nor willing to adapt or can to be truly effective outside of scoring goals for a top team in this league today. Look at Jota and what he brings to LFC or now Diaz, Lukaku can’t bring that to LFC and again to get the very best out of him you’d need to build the team around him. He’s like Ronaldo at Man Utd, will always score goals/pose a threat but to what detriment to the whole team dynamic? Of course I won’t say no to him here and he’d score goals here easily, but for what he’d cost and his wages? I think we could find a better alternative. How mad is it by the eve taking of Lukaku as a potential signing!

I don’t want Lukaku or Rashford.

They’re both busted flushes now, in my opinion obvs. 

I know Rashford is still relatively young but I just can’t see him recapturing his earlier heights. 

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

Dubravka is more than good enough for now, money needs to be spent elsewhere first!

I disagree with this attitude, mind. If an affordable player who strengthens the first team becomes available you go for them.

1 minute ago, LV said:

I don’t want Lukaku or Rashford.

They’re both busted flushes now, in my opinion obvs. 

I know Rashford is still relatively young but I just can’t see him recapturing his earlier heights. 

He's in a race with Dele Alli to see who can hit rock bottom first.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I disagree with this attitude, mind. If an affordable player who strengthens the first team becomes available you go for them.

You prioritise your weakest areas surely and ‘keeper for me is the least priority…

Guest HTT II
Just now, ManDoon said:

Rashford will be fine away from Man United 

He’d excel here IMO and would not just be a statement signing, but would bring real on pitch quality and extra kudos to our club in terms of his profile and reputation which we could do with given the cloud that hangs over owners.