Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

25 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Apparently we are going to be getting in two strikers, one first team one with experience and a younger one with big potential, and so I wouldn't be too sure we aren't going to spend around £60 - 70m on the pair.

I have seen talk of two forward players, but I think that likely means an out and out striker, and someone who can play as a wide forward on the right hand side. 

28 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Source for this?

Just remember reading about it in numerous articles, particularly in the lead up to the Jan window and during it too. 

It's why we were also after Ekitike as the younger high potential option, while also looking at more experienced strikers in Jan.

2 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I have seen talk of two forward players, but I think that likely means an out and out striker, and someone who can play as a wide forward on the right hand side. 

I think it will ultimately depend on what setup Howe decides on going forward. I think he originally wanted to play with one out and out striker and a second striker that drops deep, but maybe that will now change.

Edited by KaKa

7 minutes ago, Paully said:

If it’s a promising young forward then it might be Nkietah especially with him being a free in the summer!

Nketiah wants guaranteed game time, which as our ‘promising/young’ player, he wouldn’t necessarily get. 

Nketiah turns 23 in under a month. Shouldn't be considered a promising player for the future by then. This is Nketiahs 5th season playing in the premier league.

2 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

My only concern is that if we pay £25-30m for Ekitike, we're presumably not then going to spend another £35-40m on Schick (or whoever) so we'd be relying on either Wilson staying fit or the young lad hitting the ground running.

I mentioned this maybe last week or the week before, I really think this is a route we may go down. Of course it depends on who is available for what but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wilson remain as first choice next season with a young striker (not necessarily Ekitike) 2nd choice behind him which will still grant a fair amount of playing time given Wilson’s injury issues. 

Spending £60-70m on two players that play the same position this summer is highly unlikely unless we plan to switch to playing with 2 strikers. It’s just a massive chunk taken out of our FFP limits when we need more quality spread throughout the squad.

Edited by Nine

41 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Nketiah turns 23 in under a month. Shouldn't be considered a promising player for the future by then. This is Nketiahs 5th season playing in the premier league.

He hasn't really started that many games in any season prior to his latest run though so that's a bit misleading. If he's about to turn 23 that would mean he is just starting to mature as a striker, could well be ready to cement place in a PL side and make a big impact next season.

5 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Not a name I have seen mentioned yet but John Stones could be an option? 

I would definitely be happy if he signed. Can play in a back 3 as well. Certainly a ball playing CB as Howe obviously prefers. He would potentially want a move ahead of the World Cup as well to ensure he is playing regularly. 

11 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Not a name I have seen mentioned yet but John Stones could be an option? 

Unlikely I’d have thought. I know we have been previously linked, but with Fernandinho leaving this summer, I’d imagine Pep will want Stones to stay and potentially cover there, CB and RB. 

7 hours ago, TRon said:

He hasn't really started that many games in any season prior to his latest run though so that's a bit misleading. If he's about to turn 23 that would mean he is just starting to mature as a striker, could well be ready to cement place in a PL side and make a big impact next season.

Sure, but he still has years of experience already. It's why he wants to leave Arsenal, because now he needs to play regularly, not sit on our bench as "one for the future" when he's close to his mid-20's which is normally when strikers start their peaks.

16 hours ago, chapdelaine said:

Emmanuel Dennis will be leaving Watford for around £20 million,we should be all over that.24 yrs old with 10 goals and 6 assists this season in that team

I wouldn't have him here as first choice, if Wilson were to leave then I'd be fine with him coming and being 2nd choice behind someone better. 

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Take any of these ?

Conte obviously doesn't rate Rodon then, thought he was going to be decent. Reguilon is probably the one there I'd be most willing to take, although Moura wouldn't be bad as an option.

Where's that meme listing Liverpool's expenditure, over the last 5 years, comparing it with Everton's? 

Liverpool buying a few £50m characters whilst Everton buy 25 x £20m players, mostly midfielders, occasionally nonces? 

In Eddie I trust.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Thoughts on Bamford if Leeds are relegated? Another one who allegedly has a release clause.

I'll say the same as I did when Emmanuel Dennis was mentioned, if Wilson were to leave this summer (for whatever reason) then I would take Bamford or Dennis as 2nd choice or playing as part of a 2 but I wouldn't want to rely upon them to be scoring the majority of our goals.

I think we need better as a 1st choice striker, which is easier said than done obviously but neither of those would be who I'd pick.