Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

You prioritise your weakest areas surely and ‘keeper for me is the least priority…

Absolutely, but if a no-brainer type transfer lands on your lap you don't just ignore it because you need players elsewhere.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I’ll add David Brooks now he’s healthy. Great player 

Canny second name as well!

Guest HTT II
Just now, Dr.Spaceman said:

Absolutely, but if a no-brainer type transfer lands on your lap you don't just ignore it because you need players elsewhere.

Oh aye, if the money is available I’d get rid of probably most of them!

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’ve only seen him for the teams he’s played for here and of course the odd Belgium match. I just don’t think he is versatile enough nor willing to adapt or can to be truly effective outside of scoring goals for a top team in this league today. Look at Jota and what he brings to LFC or now Diaz, Lukaku can’t bring that to LFC and again to get the very best out of him you’d need to build the team around him. He’s like Ronaldo at Man Utd, will always score goals/pose a threat but to what detriment to the whole team dynamic? Of course I won’t say no to him here and he’d score goals here easily, but for what he’d cost and his wages? I think we could find a better alternative. How mad is it by the eve taking of Lukaku as a potential signing!

I don't think he needs a team to be built around him. For Belgium Hazar & KDB have been the focus, allowing Lukaku to sometimes play wide or just vary his game more.

Like I said, if he was willing to press, Lukaku suits Liverpool's style of play.

I agree that his overall cost seems too high. The wages and fee are just astronomical. It's the wages that put me off all of the Manchester United, Chelsea players we've been linked with for a fee.

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’ll add David Brooks now he’s healthy. Great player 

We were linked with him a few years ago weren't we? Really hope he gets somewhere near where he was but to say you'd like to sign him right now is a bit odd.

Guest HTT II
Just now, The College Dropout said:

I don't think he needs a team to be built around him. For Belgium Hazar & KDB have been the focus, allowing Lukaku to sometimes play wide or just vary his game more.

Like I said, if he was willing to press, Lukaku suits Liverpool's style of play.

I agree that his overall cost seems too high. The wages and fee are just astronomical. It's the wages that put me off all of the Manchester United, Chelsea players we've been linked with for a fee.

If you get him pressing wide or deeper you take away what he is as a CF IMO and I think you could get someone to do that for cheaper, Diaz for example. To be fair I’ve not seen much of him for Belgium and zero of him at Inter!

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Yup, totally agree, he’s had a bad season there is no getting away from that, but what Man United player hasn’t aside Ronaldo? He will be totally fine 

Some players just need a clean break and the pressure on him has been huge at Man Utd given he’s a local lad and come through the ranks and initially was an instant hit! For all the good he’s done off the pitch, I do think he needs to refocus his life towards his game and that only to become the player his talent should or could allow him. It’s a shame Greenwood is a wrong ‘un, he is unbelievably talented. 

I would try to go for these 3 to strengthen 

Ashley Barnes to compliment Wood

(probably 10 million)

Yarmolenko for some wing wizardry 

(probably 10 million)

Craig Cathcart (Watford)

probably 3.65 million 

sign longstaff on a long term deal

sign Dummett on a long term deal 

get woodman back and push for the top 6 next season 

only need to spend 25 million (ish)

11 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

(probably 10 million)

(probably 10 million)

Craig Cathcart (Watford)

probably 3.65 million 

Sir, you are cut off from alcohol serving.

Howe would turn Rashford into a high level performer in the prem. Think Rashford would really respond to his style of coaching, with all the information and direction it provides. Man United are a mess.

21 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

(probably 10 million)

(probably 10 million)

Craig Cathcart (Watford)

probably 3.65 million 

Sweet baby Jesus, have you been smoking a dodgy batch of spice this afternoon?

I worry about Rashford. Very gifted player, but feel like he is caught between not being a striker enough to play up top and not enough of a winger to play wide. His development and career path seems confused. It's as if he is neither outright winger or striker and it's unclear what role we would use him under, or what he is best at. I'd rather have a more gifted dribbler and flair player on right side of a three than Rashford on the right. Could Rashford be a number 9 for us and do it well? Yes, I think so, but I do wonder why he's gone off the boil and not grabbed that role at Man Utd given the kind of service they can create.  Might be harsh, but worry about signing players having career/confidence wobbles. Don't think his as is bad as Dele Alli's type of career nose dive, but given Rashford would costs a lot in fee or wages, maybe a player that nails his position without the confusion would be better signing.

1 hour ago, JonBez comesock said:

(probably 10 million)

(probably 10 million)

Craig Cathcart (Watford)

probably 3.65 million 

Eh??

(probably 10 million)

(probably 10 million)

Craig Cathcart (Watford)

probably 3.65 million 

Pure eye AIDS.

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Is there that much difference between being a wide forward and a striker?  The Liverpool lads make both roles look easy.

Shearer made goals look easy, doesn't mean it was. Liverpool have Mane and Salah in world class form for a number of years in a system fit for their skill sets. Jota and Ruiz are very clever signings where they are very interchangeable across the front three, Firmino less so.

Wood isn't going to cut it on the wing and nor Fraser up top, so yes there is a huge difference for us.

(probably 10 million)

(probably 10 million)

Craig Cathcart (Watford)

probably 3.65 million 

Have you posted this a year later than you planned? All seems very 2018-2021. Except the "push for the top 6" bit obviously.

Gerson from Marseille.

I believe during our Bruno/Paqueta foray into the French/Brazilian Market, we also looked at this lad.

He's done the rounds a little bit but has recently got back into the Brazil national fold.

Very similar type to Bruno. 6 goals and 4 assists this season. Club finished second in the league. Progressive midfielder. Got some decent mileage on him for a 24 year old too. Had a spell at Roma when young.

I don't think he is someone we need but given our Brazil links, one to watch.