Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

Just now, wormy said:

:lol: And to think I figured this thread couldn't get shitter until a sale actually happened. 

It's just hotting up. I'm getting death threats and I've hardly posted!

Ok, here is my 2 cents.

People keep on banging on about Trippier staying to coach, being good around the squad etc. However there is no indication that he is going to go down that path, and if he is, if it is with us. A year ago people were saying the same about Ritchie, and now with FFP being tight, people are realising that having him on the books in terms of wages is possibly holding us back.

If we are looking to improve in this window then we have only a few sellable players at the club we could get some money from, these are Trippier, Wilson, Joelinton, Bruno, Isak, and Botman. The last 3 are the ones people think/hope have a long term future here. Trippier is coming to the end of his career. We already know that he can’t cope with 2+ games a week. In fact for a few months now people have been saying his performances have dropped a bit, and his set pieces have been an issue for longer.

With Wilson, yeah he is great when he’s fit, but he’s always in and out of fitness. Like Trippier he is coming towards the end of his career, and at a time when we should be looking to replace him.

I’m not sure what the club are thinking, but from my perspective, I’d rather lose be losing Trippier, and Wilson now, then lose either of the other 3, plus Tonali in the summer.

This also isn’t an Ashley situation where you know we are not going to replace either of those players, ok we might have to wait until the summer because of others clubs being reluctant to sell, but we will replace them. In the case of Trippier we arguably already have.

Edited by Stifler

Haven't kept up much in the last couple of days but I am also leaning towards the sell if there is a good offer made (and this doesn't in any way disregard his contribution, presence, quality etc.)

He came in, helped keep us up, helped us qualify for CL and can leave with his head high. I don't think he has many years left at this level given his age so if it means selling to be able to free up to buy more and especially if this season means we aren't finishing like last season then yeah, we may not get another chance to recoup what we can for him more so than now.

I do completely understand for some on here sentiment getting in the way and even more than that as he is top quality but age is not on his side and neither if FFP on our side.

Edited by Amir_9

How does the idea we can spend 3x what we bring in from sales to keep within FFP rules work?

I only have a very basic understanding of FFP, but as I understand it's related to a rolling 3 year loss with player purchase transfer fees amortised over contract lengths (maximum 5 years), but income from player sales being recognised at time of transaction (less remaining book value)

From this I would imagine there are 2 aspects to ensuring we stay within the FFP relegations if we're already at the 3 year loss limit to the period ending at the end of this season (assuming the financial years are by football season, not calendar year):

A) Running an overall break-even over the 3 year period - £15m income means that we would be able to amortise £15m over a 3 year period - with the 5-year amortisation rule this would allow us to sign a player for £25m.  However, this doesn't take into account growing commercial revenue and prior year losses falling off the rolling year 3 year period.

B) If we're confident of a increase in commercial revenue and possibly seeing this as an opportunity to boost our short-term FFP position to bring forward a summer signing, then the £15m income could technically fund a £150m player purchase as only 1/10th of their transfer fee would be amortised before the end of the season and break-even with the possible Trippier sale.

11 minutes ago, Eveready said:

How does the idea we can spend 3x what we bring in from sales to keep within FFP rules work?

I only have a very basic understanding of FFP, but as I understand it's related to a rolling 3 year loss with player purchase transfer fees amortised over contract lengths (maximum 5 years), but income from player sales being recognised at time of transaction (less remaining book value)

From this I would imagine there are 2 aspects to ensuring we stay within the FFP relegations if we're already at the 3 year loss limit to the period ending at the end of this season (assuming the financial years are by football season, not calendar year):

A) Running an overall break-even over the 3 year period - £15m income means that we would be able to amortise £15m over a 3 year period - with the 5-year amortisation rule this would allow us to sign a player for £25m.  However, this doesn't take into account growing commercial revenue and prior year losses falling off the rolling year 3 year period.

B) If we're confident of a increase in commercial revenue and possibly seeing this as an opportunity to boost our short-term FFP position to bring forward a summer signing, then the £15m income could technically fund a £150m player purchase as only 1/10th of their transfer fee would be amortised before the end of the season and break-even with the possible Trippier sale.

Angry 90 Day Fiance GIF by TLC

2 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Won't someone please think of the children!

That was what Jimmy Saville said. Consider yourself blocked.

Edited by Pablo123

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

What in the Ready To Groom has been going on these last two pages :lol: 

Walked into a warzone. 

Stay out of it mate, it's big boys shit

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Now I know how my old teachers felt when they’d leave the room for five minutes and return to chaos

Howay BB, let’s have a quick tab in the book cupboard. Let these barmy Arabs slap each other daft. (With apologies to anyone easily offended by pre ‘90’s patter, i.e. the frankly barmy, or those of an Arabian bent.) 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You say it like it’s a bad thing

Sticks & stones will break my bones, but being called a rapist will never hurt me. Now throw me some insults and i'll show you how to roll with the punch.