Kieran Trippier 'hopefully back soon' (Howe)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Beth said:

We could offer him another year, we've done it with older useless deadwood like Ritchie and Dummett.

Dummett been good when called upon

2 minutes ago, Beth said:

We could offer him another year, we've done it with older useless deadwood like Ritchie and Dummett.

We could, but Dummett and Ritchie are a little bit different. Local and leader.

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

In normal circumstances where we didn't have FFP and we had unlimited resources then I'd agree just refuse any bid until it got to stupid money.

However our theoretical infinite resources are artificially limited by the restrictions in place. We need to sell players to keep moving forward and to keep signing players, otherwise we are going to be hamstrung. From an accounting perspective even a £20 million sale can unlock significant investment in the transfer market. This is why we have to consider selling aging players, even if they're influential like Trippier is.

By the time next season starts he is 34. I'm convinced it would look like a good sale in hindsight if it went through, even if painful in the short term.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but for me it doesn't feel remotely worth it for what we'd even gain from losing him. Add to that that the team bidding is one who barely has to consider FFP and recently paid £90m for a 30 year old with a year left on his contract and I don't see the value doing it for the amount being touted and the spending it frees up.

4 minutes ago, Beth said:

Yes, all one and a half games this season.

He was good v Man City was it though? 

suprised he wasn’t used a little bit v psg or Chelsea when we needed to hang on 

Expect we will deal on £15-17m. Whether they push that high we shall see.

Haven't we been linked with a couple of RBs the last couple of months. I'm sure we will have a game plan for all potential player departures. That's Ashworth and his teams job. Also one he excelled at down at Brighton. The youth system was in better shape than ours though.

Replacing Trippier with Livramento isn't that straight forward, trippier makes 90 passes a game, is one of the most creative players in terms of key passes and crosses per game in the league, its tough to replace that I'm now thinking its not really worth taking the cash. 

44 minutes ago, Beth said:

Would you pay more than that for a player you're going to get only one and half sesons out of, maybe two and a half at a push?

At their level of success and income, hoping to win a Champions' League in the next couple of seasons, then sure.

1 hour ago, Alberto2005 said:

How much does it actually help with FFP?

Let's assume we paid £12m and we get £12m back.

Is it just as simple as we have £12m to play around with?

Add another 0 to that because amortization over five years or some shit I don't know

Crazy to think that we could sell Trippier, Wilson and Almiron, and I have that much confidence in those who are running the club along with the management team that whilst I'd be a little disappointed to see them go, I'd have no worries that it was for the right reasons to hopefully benefit the club and our future plans moving forward.

Edited by mondonewc

3 minutes ago, TRC said:

Replacing Trippier with Livramento isn't that straight forward, trippier makes 90 passes a game, is one of the most creative players in terms of key passes and crosses per game in the league, its tough to replace that I'm now thinking its not really worth taking the cash. 

Trippier will be 34 this year. If we can afford to write off the fee we can get now then great, otherwise it is going to be detrimental to our future if the FFP stuff is right and we have to sell before we buy.

3 minutes ago, TRC said:

We’ll have to adapt and maybe it unlocks another player or two that will each make 20-30 more passes a match now.

I for one will look forward to us playing a modified style and hope we become less predictable in the process. 

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

We’ll have to adapt and maybe it unlocks another player or two that will each make 20-30 more passes a match now.

I for one will look forward to us playing a modified style and hope we become less predictable in the process. 

The "all of our creativity comes from our 33-year-old right back" model was never going to be sustainable anyway. We have other creative players, they can step up to fill the void. We have a whole half-season with relatively low expectations for Howe to figure it out.

Don’t want to see him sold but, if his head has been turned (and why wouldn’t it) and if we can get close to 15M for a near 34 year old, it’s a bit of a no brainer. 

Frankly can't believe we've laughed off £13m for a 33 year old Kieran Trippier and allegedly want around £25m for Miguel Almiron. Do our owners think they're playing football manager?  

2 hours ago, Alberto2005 said:

How much does it actually help with FFP?

Let's assume we paid £12m and we get £12m back.

Is it just as simple as we have £12m to play around with?

Yes.

Despite the ravings of some, raising £12m doesn't allow you to spend £60m.

It can be used towards one year's payments of a £60m deal that's spread over 5 years, but you've still got to find £12m for each of the next 4 years from somewhere. That commitment doesn't disappear just because you shout "amortisation".

6 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Yes.

It can be used towards one year's payments of a £60m deal that's spread over 5 years, but you've still got to find £12m for each of the next 4 years from somewhere. That commitment doesn't disappear just because you shout "amortisation".

Nah that's not right either. We don't get the straight £12m. We get the £12m minus whatever his value is worth based on his fee divided by remaining contract length. So we'd be looking at less than £10m 'profit' from the sale I'm guessing. 

20 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Yes.

It gives us room to spend in this window, until new revenue streams become available next year, it also allows us to spend £30-35m not £60m 

Edited by nufcnick

1 minute ago, Jaqen said:

Nah that's not right either. We don't get the straight £12m. We get the £12m minus whatever his value is worth based on his fee divided by remaining contract length. So we'd be looking at less than £10m 'profit' from the sale I'm guessing. 

Well yes if we amortised his initial fee over a number of years and that's not fully paid yet, we still owe it.

2 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

His book value is £5.2m so if we got £12m that would allow us to spend around £30-35m on a player paying the same £120k a week wages.

Just now, nufcnick said:

It gives us room to spend in this window, until new revenue streams become available next year, it also allows us to spend £35m not £60m 

That's all well and good provided those revenue streams materialise and can cover the shortfall. But there's not an infinite amount we can grow revenue by, at a speed we dictate. 

It's a nice theory, but it's not a certainty to happen. Far from it. And we can't just keep saying we'll increase revenue streams by 4* every sale we make forever more.