Kieran Trippier 'hopefully back soon' (Howe)

Yorkie

• 4 weeks later...

I thought he was superb, but he did make some mistakes that stand out because he's held to such high standards.

His passing is world class; he and Bruno are on a different level to everyone else in that regard.

3 minutes ago, kenlau88210 said:

How good was he as a defender in Tottenham and Atletico Madrid anyone? 

He was pretty poor in his final season with Spurs. No idea about at atletico 

Just now, TRC said:

He was pretty poor in his final season with Spurs. No idea about at atletico 

Won the league with Atletico and featured regularly.

No issues with his capability, just his sharpness. He'll be cush. Played 2,2 clean sheets...

He is clocking on. I expect he is just slow starting out the blocks right now. Pre season was also intense. 

Will be a worry for Southgate but I expect him to be back to himself again soon.

A young RB successor will be on the shortlist for next summer though.

He doesn't look significantly different physically to how he looked pre injury. He's nearly 32 and has never been quick so it's not surprising. Think he needs to work at adapting his game better 

Edited by buzz

Had a bad game but still saved the day by clearing it off the line, it's a good sign when even your shit games are decent.

Anyway this is the aberration, the whole team was misplacing their passes today, I don't think it's anything to do with Trips.

8 minutes ago, Yassassin said:

A really poor performance from many today meant a point was gained rather than two lost. Brighton were impressive tbf and I thought that even though we played poorly, defensively we were resilient and intelligent

Agree generally but don't think we were really poor. We were pretty tight at the back as you say (Trippier aside) and could've even robbed them had Burn timed his header better or if Murphy had been more alert to the chance Wilson created. We had the odd decent spell but generally just weren't at the races. 

Really impressed with Brighton, like. They can really suffocate teams with their passing and pressing off the ball. If 'intensity is our identity' then we could use them as an inspiration tbh.

I've always liked Welbeck, too, his strength and one-touch stuff has always been impressive; there was a time seven or eight years ago where I'd have absolutely loved him here. It's a pity for them that despite him having a finishing ability that's incompatible with his measly goal return, he's never going to be a goalscorer.