Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

20 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Trippier has been near top of all the chances created charts, which is fair. He does create them. However I'm pretty sure he's taken the highest amount of corners out of all players, and atleast for the last few months they weren't the best. I wonder how many of those that counts towards chances created. Also, why is Pope there? Does saves count?

I think one of the best application of stats is to disprove the fallacy that Trippier was bad on set pieces, which became a frustration for many because we weren't scoring goals on them. But the reality is he was creating chances and the actual problem is no one was finishing them.

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

I think one of the best application of stats is to disprove the fallacy that Trippier was bad on set pieces, which became a frustration for many because we weren't scoring goals on them. But the reality is he was creating chances and the actual problem is no one was finishing them.

Overall from start to finish of the season yes. Last few games were good too. But there was a period before that, I'd like to see a video of his last 100 corners or so

11 hours ago, Erikse said:

Overall from start to finish of the season yes. Last few games were good too. But there was a period before that, I'd like to see a video of his last 100 corners or so

Even then only those in the club would be able to tell you if the corner went where it was supposed to but the move broke down elsewhere.

He was in Opta's tots too. 

Trippier created the most chances from set plays (76) and played the most passes into the opposition box (551) by a player in a single season since Opta started collected this data 20 Premier League seasons ago, in 2003-04. Meanwhile, his 138 successful crosses are the most by a player in Premier League season since Jermaine Pennant in 2005-06 (146).

The 110 chances he created for teammates are also the most by a Newcastle player in a top-flight season since 2003-04, while only Cheick Tioté in 2013-14 (1,825) has completed more passes for the Magpies in a single Premier League campaign than Trippier did this season (1,568).

League-wide in 2022-23, Trippier played the most progressive passes (275) and had the second-best expected assists total (11.8), behind Kevin De Bruyne. Not only this, but he also had the joint most assists from set-plays (six), along with Andrew Robertson. Not bad for a full-back.

These are ludicrous figures.

Edited by Smal

4 minutes ago, Smal said:

He was in Opta's tots too. 

Trippier created the most chances from set plays (76) and played the most passes into the opposition box (551) by a player in a single season since Opta started collected this data 20 Premier League seasons ago, in 2003-04. Meanwhile, his 138 successful crosses are the most by a player in Premier League season since Jermaine Pennant in 2005-06 (146).

The 110 chances he created for teammates are also the most by a Newcastle player in a top-flight season since 2003-04, while only Cheick Tioté in 2013-14 (1,825) has completed more passes for the Magpies in a single Premier League campaign than Trippier did this season (1,568).

League-wide in 2022-23, Trippier played the most progressive passes (275) and had the second-best expected assists total (11.8), behind Kevin De Bruyne. Not only this, but he also had the joint most assists from set-plays (six), along with Andrew Robertson. Not bad for a full-back.

These are ludicrous figures.

This is why I was never overly harsh on wor Tiote. Hre always took responsibility.

Trippier probably does get underrated by our fanbase because of the sheer level of responsibility he has in the side. Being the outlet for all set pieces and the main person to bring the ball forward from defence into midfield is an insane amount of work on top of all his defensive duties. I know I take him for granted at times 

I basically switch off when I hear analysis from Tifo etc. that does not mention that Trippier hits 30% more crosses than the next biggest  crosser in the league, never mind our team. Its the fundamental feature of how we play. It is mostly through him in a 3-4-3. We manage do to this without exposing the defence like TAA at Liverpool.

I would imagine set piece conversion would be high on any wish list for a Schar replacement. Our CHs have been very poor at converting them this past season. Lascelles is best at it by miles. We also led the league in hitting the woodwork, some of which was from set pieces, so maybe it will right itself with better luck. 

On 07/06/2023 at 20:57, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

A Cádiz player in the European team of the season is canny mental.

Good chance there's Bayern fans saying similar about us.

6 hours ago, Astroblack said:

Unpopular opinion but I think it's Trent. 

Maintain he would have been class in the 90's as a traditional right midfielder.

You've got to be joking though, Trent can't defend for shit. His general defensive awareness is awful and seems to be caught out every game. He is unreal on the ball like, up there with anyone in terms of picking a pass or bending in a cross.

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Trippier had the much better season then Walker, but Walker is the better overall player (mainly down to his speed bailing him/ his team out) imo.

Very much system dependent no? I can’t imagine walker being able to perform at the level trips does for us.