Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

I seem to remember him being prone to doing mad stuff at Spurs (like that own goal backpass) but yeah it's probably going to get worse with his age and the intensity we ask our players to perform at. Ideally next season he'll be playing about half the games.

9 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Getting a little bit worried we're seeing some early signs of natural decline for him. It feels like the last 6 weeks or so, he's either been class or fairly shit. I feel like he's had as many bad games this year as the entirety of last season.

Fuck me. One of the most creative players in the prem this season and last and a leader to boot and a very good defender.

Even today his mistakes cost us but he wasn't for the most part "shit"

I really should log straight off after a defeat, there's too much crap.

26 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Had a mare. 

No chance he’s rested at Spurs. The idea is wild and not something that will even cross Howe’s mind. 

Its not wild. He is clearly showing huge signs of fatigue and we have the most important match so far this year coming up 3 days later.

If he puts on the same eleven vs both Spurs and Milan its more than likely going to end with us not winning either.

We got to have some young talents in our academy who can get the chance? Atleast half an hour or so. 

19 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Getting a little bit worried we're seeing some early signs of natural decline for him. It feels like the last 6 weeks or so, he's either been class or fairly shit. I feel like he's had as many bad games this year as the entirety of last season.

Dont see that all. When Trippier plays bad the whole team usual look bad. All from Bruno, joelinton, Schar.

21 minutes ago, buzz said:

I seem to remember him being prone to doing mad stuff at Spurs (like that own goal backpass) but yeah it's probably going to get worse with his age and the intensity we ask our players to perform at. Ideally next season he'll be playing about half the games.

I had this crazy glitch in the matrix moment today, because before the game when I was thinking about Dubravka and worried about him making mistakes I thought about how few outright stupid mistakes that we have made this season. For a moment I thought "well, we don't have mistake have players that are prone to mistakes", but then I remembered some of Trippiers moments from last season (not that he's very prone to them, but they happen). This was right before the game. I guess it's my fault what happened today.[emoji38] They seem to happen sometimes with him, but can't really be too harsh on him considering what he usually does.

Edited by Erikse

8 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

His age could be a factor, but also he is probably just knackered. The squad is on the bones of it's arse and lads younger than him look tired. He had a long year last year also with the world cup. Needs resting on Sunday.

It was a bit sad to see some of the comments made about him last night from some fans (only some I mean). I know people were emotional, hopefully everyone has calmed down now. The lad always gives 100%. Made a couple of daft mistakes, but it happens. He will be gutted by what happened but he will come back stronger. He will have all the support of Howe, the team and the fans next time he plays.  

He’s our pressure release even when hes under pressure from the opposition himself. We play him the ball in positions where a perfect touch is necessary. He rarely lets us down, he goes above and beyond, I can’t be mad at him, I’m just gutted for him. 

Thought he was actually having a pretty decent game until his fuckups, could have easily have had at least 1 assist.

Pleased to see that most of the criticism seems to be fairly level headed to be fair, expected far worse though I've not trawled twitter [emoji38]

We can't expect him, or any of our other top performers, to get everything right all of the time.

It's a fucking tough gig when you get 99 things right and 1 wrong and you're getting questioned.

Confident he'll pick himself up and crack on.

Only real question for me regarding rotation recently (as our options are so limited) is the possibility of playing Krafth at RB for a game to give Trippier a rest. Last night could have been an opportunity to do it, although I completely get why Howe would be reluctant. 

8 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Only real question for me regarding rotation recently (as our options are so limited) is the possibility of playing Krafth at RB for a game to give Trippier a rest. Last night could have been an opportunity to do it, although I completely get why Howe would be reluctant. 

Was never going to happen and I think it was the right decision.

The fact that he has become so indispensable, both for his footballing and leadership qualities, came back to bite him and us on the arse last night.  As others have said a non-knacked Trippier never makes those mistakes.

Had he just been another normal player I think resting him would have been the right decision as FB is the only area where we have decent players who can come in. But in a team down to its bare bones and in need of on field leadership he could never have been rested.

The same could be said of Sunday. From a purely footballing perspective he should be rested for Milan and Hall or Krafth come in for him. But when you think of everything he brings, doing this away at a main rival for top 4/5 also becomes madness. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

10 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

The fact that he has become so indispensable, both for his footballing and leadership qualities, came back to bite him and us on the arse last night.  As others have said a non-knacked Trippier never makes those mistakes.

Had he just been another normal player I think resting him would have been the right decision as FB is the only area where we have decent players who can come in. But in a team down to its bare bones and in need of on field leadership he could never have been rested.

The same could be said of Sunday. From a purely footballing perspective he should be rested for Milan and Hall or Krafth come in for him. But when you think of everything he brings, doing this away at a main rival for top 4/5 also becomes madness. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If not rested entirely only asked to play 60 is the way to go.