Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

12 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

I know nothing of FFP or football finances in general, so for an uneducated idiot looking in, could somebody say whether we fucked something up somewhere along the line with transfers since the takeover, for us to even be entertaining these offers for players, or is it more of a holdover from the Ashley days where our commercial revenue being so stagnant is causing a problem now?

How much we are actually entertaining these offers I don't know but I think if we didn't have so many players out through injury (plus Tonali) we wouldn't be looking to do any business this month, unless a Gordon-style deal dropped into our lap.

Now Joelinton and Tonali are both out for the rest of the season, Anderson long-term, Willock still recovering and Bruno on the brink of a two-game suspension, our hand is being forced somewhat and we probably need another midfielder.

I don't think we've fucked up, it's just that injuries have decimated the midfield and moves we probably had planned for >30th June may have to be looked at now.

Since Newcastle turned down a bid I assume Trippier hasn't asked to leave Newcastle has he? Trippier is solid this year and next year. So I hope he stays.

Seems mad that we are looking at trips leaving so soon. 

But then if he's keen and why wouldn't he be, it's Bayern, then we should do our damnedest to make sure it makes sense financially.

This is football with ffp I suppose.

1 minute ago, Krabbe2 said:

Since Newcastle turned down a bid I assume Trippier hasn't asked to leave Newcastle has he? Trippier is solid this year and next year. So I hope he stays.

Its not like we would give him away at any price just because he asked like.

17 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

I know nothing of FFP or football finances in general, so for an uneducated idiot looking in, could somebody say whether we fucked something up somewhere along the line with transfers since the takeover, for us to even be entertaining these offers for players, or is it more of a holdover from the Ashley days where our commercial revenue being so stagnant is causing a problem now?

There's some peripheral arguments over things like buying one Rolls Royce (Tonali) vs. 2-3 Fiats (a la Brighton's model) or investing in another LW when we really need a RW, but more than anything we're hamstrung by our previous owner (both low revenue and minimal assets with resale value) and rules that haven't evolved with inflation.

It’s a good offer for a 33 year old, but we all know that he adds so much to the team so it seems insignificant. I think having him for one more full season makes more sense to the club than selling now regardless of the financial difficulties 

No way they keep bidding without encouragement from the player's camp.

Whiffs of "we don't need to sell, the player isn't going to stick in a transfer request, give us an offer too good to refuse".

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think €15m is a fair enough bid on paper. Would be a big statement for us telling one of the elite clubs to fuck off though chasing one of our best players.

Yeah I think it’s a fair bid too, but one that I wouldn’t touch with a bargepole in your position. It’s not worth the sacrifice.

13 minutes ago, Dokko said:

£20m plus a couple of loans and I'm in. 

Hmm. Loans. Interesting thought. They got any wunderkind CMs we could do with for 6 months?

18 minutes ago, toon25 said:

15 million euros man.

Fuck off.

Would you pay more than that for a player you're going to get only one and half sesons out of, maybe two and a half at a push?

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

You would hope if it’s going to get done, that it gets done soon. Would then give us chance to reinvest.

Yep, give us 18m by Thursday, seems to take 2 days to prepare a bid these days.

I'm really split on what to do here, the fact we are 10th makes me think we should take it.

Just now, Beth said:

Would you pay more than that for a player you're going to get only one and half sesons out of, maybe two and a half at a push?

We paid £25m for Wood for a season 😂

Just now, Beth said:

It depends on what said player offers, for Trippier yes definitely.