Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

7 minutes ago, Nine said:

People actually saying he’s expendable because we’ve hit a decent run of form without him?

I wouldn't be in that school of thought but 33 years old it's nice to know we can win games 1. Differently and 2 without him. Got to plan for life without him in the end he either goes in the summer for a fee to free up ffp wiggle room or we retain him and likely don't offer him an extension the following summer. 

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Trippier walks back into the team, man. He was obscenely good before the squad took that absolute bruising in December, when he started faltering, as most did. He was very much over that spell by the time he most recently exited the side, too.

Totally. But if there was a scenario where we could keep Bruno and still bring in the new players we want by cobbling together some financial freedom by moving on Trippier along with Almiron, Wilson and the Hendricks and Hayden's, I think it would be the thing to do. I think Livramento, Krafth, Murphy and "new CB with ability to cover" would be decent enough for next season if it meant we didn't need to demolish the heart of our midfield. 

Not an easy choice, but it's the sort of difficult decision we are being forced to look at. Personally I'd be delighted if Trippier retired here and joined the backroom staff, but FFP is pushing all clubs to this kind of psychopathic mindset. Homegrown kids and loyal servants are the main kinds of player to ditch. It's shit.

3 hours ago, Menace said:

He walks back into the team but his set pieces dont. Gordon's were very good today.

Gordons were excellent :giggs:

4 hours ago, Nine said:

People actually saying he’s expendable because we’ve hit a decent run of form without him?

Did noone say it in january? You can have a different opinion, that's fine.

Edited by Erikse

Gordon’s corners were brilliant today. But I do think with the tactics we employed for them, Viccario being rooted to his line and the fact we had 16 (sixteen) corners. Trippier would have caused havoc and all. 

He is still joint top of the assist charts and he has missed quite a few games, played plenty half fit and had that horrendous run of form. Not too shabby. 

I always feel like absence makes the heart grow fonder with injured players. But somehow, a few (one poster, maybe) seem to be going the opposite way. 

Tripps is world class and we’ll be a better team with him back in it. 

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Gordon’s corners were brilliant today. But I do think with the tactics we employed for them, Viccario being rooted to his line and the fact we had 16 (sixteen) corners. Trippier would have caused havoc and all. 

He is still joint top of the assist charts and he has missed quite a few games, played plenty half fit and had that horrendous run of form. Not too shabby. 

I always feel like absence makes the heart grow fonder with injured players. But somehow, a few (one poster, maybe) seem to be going the opposite way. 

Tripps is world class and we’ll be a better team with him back in it. 

I don't disagree with you, but Tino really needs minutes.

Another worry with older players is the fact that they get injured more often, and each injury can impact their abilities more than it will with a younger player. Look at De Bruyne for example, compared to last season. If we keep Trippier, he may not be able to play with our intensity many games in a row overt time. It will at the very least be harder for him for each passing year.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

Another worry with older players is the fact that they get injured more often, and each injury can impact them more than a younger player. Look at De Bruyne for example, compared to last season. If we keep Trippier, he may not be able to play with our intensity many games in a row overt time. It will at the very least be harder for him for each passing year.

But we have Tino. Both of them as options should we get Europe would be great, no? 

Unless we are viewing everything through the pissing FFP lens, again. In which case, maybe we would look to move him on. But there are still loads of first team/fringe players I’d look to sell before him. 

14 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

But we have Tino. Both of them as options should we get Europe would be great, no? 

Unless we are viewing everything through the pissing FFP lens, again. In which case, maybe we would look to move him on. But there are still loads of first team/fringe players I’d look to sell before him. 

I agree that he wouldn't be my first choice of selling. As I said, I won't be annoyed at all if he stays. But I don't see him performing like a 120k a week player again next season imo. I would be surprised. If Tino is first choice (which I kind of hope he will be tbh), it's an expensive player to have on the bench. But at the same time, if we don't get anyone in who can cover there, maybe we would be too short if we sell assuming we're playing in europe. Most of our main defence (Schar, Burn, Tripps) is getting really old though, we kind of have to replace it bit by bit.

Edited by Erikse

Obviously hes still our first choice full back, but Tino is right there breathing down his neck. Interesting that both can play either side mind, can't be often teams switch sides of their full backs. 

15 hours ago, Erikse said:

Did noone say it in january? You can have a different opinion, that's fine.

Yeah, plenty did. Of course, if we all agreed about everything on here it would get pretty boring. 

Selling Trippier for what we be something like a £10m fee is just not the way to go though imo, simply put he is still our best full back. 33 yes, but the other way to look at his age is how much value he can add to the likes of Livra, Hall, Miley and so on. You need those older, been there done that’s at our stage of growth especially when they are Trippier quality.

He makes our right side so dangerous, if we are to sign a new RW this summer I’d only want Trippier behind them next season. Exciting prospect.

23 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Wonder what Kane’s plans are. If Bayern don’t win the CL will he come crying back to Spurs? And do they have the money to do it 

Imagine the flack he would take if he left Bayern after 1 unsuccessful season.

Be delighted with that. Let him transition over the next 1-3 seasons from first choice, to backup / older head guiding Tino & the other kids, to a role in the coaching setup.

Don't mind it. As long as we let Tino play when Tripps isn't in form, or when it suits us more tactially for some reason.

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Kicking Bayern when they’re down.

I think they'll be very pleased they didn't sign him in the long run. I doubt he'd have made any difference to this season, and by next season they'd have paid £12m for a 34 year old. While I'm still very happy to have him here for another season, I don't really see the point in giving him a contract beyond that at this point.

7 hours ago, TRon said:

I don't really see the point in giving him a contract beyond that at this point.

That's a bummer. Like someone said above, we're a better team with him in it. And we're a better team because he brings something intangible to the team. His experience, amongst other things, brings that x-factor. He can win us matches by himself, from right-back. We don't have enough of those players in the squad to just let him go without tying him down for a few more years.

Unless it's ridiculous money then his worth to us is far more than the £12m(?? or whatever) we'd get for him. Brilliant professional, still top notch RB and his experience on the park is intangible. He had a rough couple of months and was making some shocking mistakes in the Autumn but he seemed to play himself back into form. He's still fit as a fiddle and needs to be kept at most costs