Sven Botman

The Prophet

He's such a calming presence. Anytime the ball gets near him I'm never particularly worried. Even today early on before we had settled he just won all his duels and stepped in proactively. Also some of his passes through midfield were excellent. 

If the Brighton game is anything to go by, I think as others said, his fitness is crucial to our success this year. 

Crikey at his age that's crazy to think. What a player we have. 

I think his beaming smile after his goal yesterday might have been my favourite moment, in an afternoon of so many great moments. For a T-800 he's really mastered smiling, just proves that he's a different breed. 

You get the impression that he absolutely loves it here. Absolutely brilliant signing.

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

How do people rate him compared to Woodgate in terms of our best centre backs in the PL?

He's streets ahead of Coloccini and he's obviously way less injury-prone than Woodgate. For me he's the best CB we've had in my lifetime. It's not exactly a high bar but we've definitely not had anyone better imo.

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

How do people rate him compared to Woodgate in terms of our best centre backs in the PL?

Not quite there yet, but the argument can be made on his availability alone. Schar on the other hand is already there for me as the best CB I've seen at the club. Not only that he's probably the most criminally underrated player I can think of both inside and outside of our fanbase. 

He isn't even the best CB in the team currently for me. :laugh: 

Tbh at this point I can't remember enough about Woodgate to directly and fairly compare him to someone I've recently seen play ~50 times. Woodgate was obviously brilliant because we were a different team with him in it and he ended up moving to Real Madrid, but Sven has the potential to be one of the best in the business. 

I love Schar as much as the next man and he was as good as, if not better than Botman last season. Botman is a more intelligent defender though. His positioning and footballing brain are superb.

Great partnership though. It'll be tough finding a replacement for Schar.