Sven Botman

The Prophet

Although Howe likes to stick with the same back 4, I reckon there might be a bit of rotation, manage players' workloads, not overwork Botman straight back from injury, while also giving him enough opportunity to put in some good performances and get his starting job back without flat out just dropping lascelles.

Edited by Checko
I can do apostrophe's right, honest

Every player that has been introduced to our regular defence - Lascelles, Livramento, Krafth, Dummett, Hall - all of them has done well. I don't buy the preference to stick with a settled back 4 any longer, and I doubt Howe does as well. Things change. Fringe and up & coming players has proved themselves - now we just need to rely on Howe to manage game time to avoid another injury nightmare like the one we've been through.

3 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Have we actually had confirmation of what his injury was?

I hope the decision not to proceed with surgery doesn't backfire (assuming that was an option)

On that subject, it's another reason not to publicly junk Lascelles too quickly. We might need him back in the team full time a couple of weeks later...

36 minutes ago, 80 said:

On that subject, it's another reason not to publicly junk Lascelles too quickly. We might need him back in the team full time a couple of weeks later...

My thoughts exactly. No need to rush Botman back whilst we are doing well. Keep him ready and fit for when Schar/Lascelles inevitably get injured sometime around Christmas. 

14 hours ago, Checko said:

Although Howe likes to stick with the same back 4, I reckon there might be a bit of rotation, manage players' workloads, not overwork Botman straight back from injury, while also giving him enough opportunity to put in some good performances and get his starting job back without flat out just dropping lascelles.

Howe will keep playing Lascelles until Botman is fully fit. Botman might get a few 15-20 minute appearances to check his knee in full flight. BUt I don't think he'll be rushed.

CBs need the least amount of rest anyway.

If he's training we'll hopefully see him against Chelsea at the least.

15 hours ago, Conjo said:

Howe to manage game time to avoid another injury nightmare like the one we've been through.

Yeah, I do wonder if he'll look back on this and think he should have rotated more. Still, a lot of injuries were freak accidents (Barnes, Burn, Pope etc) so it's not solely down to that, but I think he'll likely be more open to rotating/earlier subs now.