Sven Botman

The Prophet

What add ons are worth getting that hung up about if you've already agreed to pay the £33m base?

Fingers crossed this doesn't rumble on much longer, whether that means giving in to the add ons or moving on to the next target. 

Guest dazzanufc1892
1 minute ago, wormy said:

What add ons are worth getting that hung up about if you've already agreed to pay the £33m base?

Fingers crossed this doesn't rumble on much longer, whether that means giving in to the add ons or moving on to the next target. 

Ive seen some horrendous ones. Id be more worried about add ons than the fee in most cases. It could be they want 30% of the sale price if we go down and first option at a set price, meaning they could have him 30% off on an already discounted price in 6 months. We just dont know.

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

If he wants out though they kind of can’t be setting final prices like this. That’s a lot of money for a 21 year old. 

Saying that I would pay it personally.

Since being linked I've caught a few Lille games and I like him a lot. 

He's got a lot of ability and presence for a 21 year old centre back. He could potentially be at the heart of our defence for the next 10 to 15 years.

I'd pay their asking price too. Think it will prove to be a bargain.

IF he is our number one target (?) then you don’t worry about add on’s. No nothing about him but if he’s who your manager wants and you are that close it will get done. If the player REALLY wants to come then I’m all for it.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Has this supposed rejection actually come from a legitimate source? All I can find is some gadgie called Simon Dobson saying it's been rejected. ???

Gianluca Di Marzio apparently, although I can't see him posting it 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Has this supposed rejection actually come from a legitimate source? All I can find is some gadgie called Simon Dobson saying it's been rejected. ???

Same - not being reported anywhere else

If he's our main target, they'll make it happen unless Lille completely take the piss.  I don't know anything about the bloke but I've convinced myself he's class and worth it.

Plus, Botman and Reuben just fits...get it done.

If the player wants to leave then it becomes virtually impossible to say no if the money offered comes close to the asking price. Same applies with any club tbh. 

I've never seen the lad play, no idea how he'd fare but it can't not be an upgrade. He's highly regarded, young and if it did turn to shit we'd be no worse off financially if we needed to move him on. Get him signed and let's see what happens. 

We are overpaying but it's also as a result of us being in a poor and desperate position. Don't like being held to ransom but needs must, and on the plus side he is young and a prospect. If signing Trippier and Botman sets the motion for more good players coming in, it may be worth the hit 

Apparently Wolves bid 25m in the summer and Lille wanted 35m so deal fell through.

Botman also didn't demand to leave despite being open to a move amid interest from Liverpool, Wolves and Sevilla then. Being professional, which also means we need to cough up the cash.

Edited by LRD

38 minutes ago, LRD said:

We are overpaying but it's also as a result of us being in a poor and desperate position. Don't like being held to ransom but needs must, and on the plus side he is young and a prospect. If signing Trippier and Botman sets the motion for more good players coming in, it may be worth the hit 

we are what’s known in my trade as a distressed customer.

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Lille are generally good with this shit. They won't get less than they want. Just hope we pay it or move elsewhere. If we manage to get Carlos in, maybe we can posture a bit and wait a week or so more to see if Lille blink. We really have to get him and any new players in and start acclimatizing them, especially those that would be new to the league.

Folk say just pay it , however if you keep doing that you will have the piss taken out of you , we are doing it right .

1 hour ago, LRD said:

We are overpaying but it's also as a result of us being in a poor and desperate position.

Are we, though?

I've been thinking about this. Sure, we're stinking rich and in danger of relegation. But being second bottom of the league, there are LOTS of players who can improve us. We have options. It's early in the window too, and many clubs are in the shit because of Covid hitting attendances and want/need to sell. Also, FFP means we can't blow £2bn on transfers even if we wanted to so we do actually have to be careful with our money and this is something that can be explained to other clubs fairly easily.

I think we're actually in a good position to get some decent deals done and not be bent over by anyone.

2 hours ago, Wilson said:

If he's our main target, they'll make it happen unless Lille completely take the piss.  I don't know anything about the bloke but I've convinced myself he's class and worth it.

Plus, Botman and Reuben just fits...get it done.

I think this is what a lot of us are doing though. Its hardly de Ligt or Virgil. 

He could end up pish.

I'm starting to think if Lille use our wealth to call the shots, then fuck them off and sign Coady, I was certain I read somewhere we were really keen on Coady and Stavely has actually met the lad and is a fan of him.  ?

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I think this is what a lot of us are doing though. Its hardly de Ligt or Virgil. 

He could end up pish.

I'm starting to think if Lille use our wealth to call the shots, then fuck them off and sign Coady, I was certain I read somewhere we were really keen on Coady and Stavely has actually met the lad and is a fan of him.  ?

The English tax will be heavy on Coady mind. 

28 years old with England caps, I’m sure Wolves would want 60mil plus for him. 

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

Are we, though?

I've been thinking about this. Sure, we're stinking rich and in danger of relegation. But being second bottom of the league, there are LOTS of players who can improve us. We have options. It's early in the window too, and many clubs are in the shit because of Covid hitting attendances and want/need to sell. Also, FFP means we can't blow £2bn on transfers even if we wanted to so we do actually have to be careful with our money and this is something that can be explained to other clubs fairly easily.

I think we're actually in a good position to get some decent deals done and not be bent over by anyone.

The club has acknowledged that there's one price for other clubs, and another price for NUFC. Clubs know we are rich and need to survive, so will quote a premium. Adding that it is more challenging to get players during the winter transfer window as clubs do not want to lose players mid-season. Wolves bid 25m for Botman in the summer and walked away when Lille wanted 35m. We are likely to match Lille's asking price for a undoubtedly promising but yet to be capped player and that's a lot of money. Of course, if we were already a stable mid-table club with no urgent need or reinforcements, it would be a different story.

We might spend more but I see that there's strategy and a plan to get the right type of players. Beyond immediate survival, I think Howe is also looking towards longer term and rejuvenating this old squad with a mix of prospects and more experienced players with the right mentality. Happy with the direction that the club is taking.