Diego Carlos

Nobody

3 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

Possibly... but would we have kept going back and kept on plugging away for 1 month, if there were no indications they would sell?

According to our lot they kept upping the asking price.

1 minute ago, OoOGazOoO said:

Possibly... but would we have kept going back and kept on plugging away for 1 month, if there were no indications they would sell?

They would sell if we offered a stupid enough price. But our price just wasn't stupid enough. Throughout the entire saga, everything we've heard is that they were unwilling sellers. That part of the narrative seems to have been very consistent.

I'm sure they know this is the biggest offer they'll ever receive for him because his value will decrease from here on in, but they seem comfortable with that and fair play to them.

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

They would sell if we offered a stupid enough price. But our price just wasn't stupid enough. Throughout the entire saga, everything we've heard is that they were unwilling sellers. That part of the narrative seems to have been very consistent.

I'm sure they know this is the biggest offer they'll ever receive for him because his value will decrease from here on in, but they seem comfortable with that and fair play to them.

I'll wait until the end of the window before I give them any fair plays tbh. Still wouldn't be surprised if this one goes through in the last couple of days with an extra mill here or there.

If it all goes according to plan over the next few years we're going to have to negotiate with the same clubs for different players every window, pissing them off now will make things much more difficult down the line. Doing things the right way and being as respectful as possible means we're building relationships at the top level, even if we don't buy their player this window we'll be in a better position to do a deal in the future. Continental clubs like Lyon, Sevilla, Atalanta, Napoli, Dortmund etc will all continue to have talent coming through and we need to be in a position to sign the best of the lot. Must carry on doing things with respect even if we know they're trying to fuck us on the fees. 

Yep and another reason it’s difficult for us to buy in this window. We don’t have any prior relationships built up between our new owners and these clubs. Some players are scouted and discussed with other clubs over a few windows before an actual deal is made. 

A big factor is the La Liga table:

RM - 50 points

Sevilla - 46 points

Betis - 40 points

atleti - 36 points (game in hand)

Barca - 35 (game in hand)

83-84 points could win La Liga. Real are good but they aren't that good. Sevilla have a decent chance of winning the whole thing. Barca & Real will get stronger next season not weaker, this might be the best chance in a generation.

Also they aren't so far ahead of Barca that they can't fall to 5th..

Keep Carlos, secure CL football - maybe have a strong title run. They are right to only sell for STUPID money. Had Real been further ahead and Barca not made decent signings, they would be more likely to sell.

5 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Didn't realise Betis were doing so well! 

If Real win it Ancelotti will be the first ever coach to win all the top 5 European leagues. Some achievement if he can do it like.

Hasn’t he already won it with Real Madrid, or was that just the Champions League while there previously?

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Hasn’t he already won it with Real Madrid, or was that just the Champions League while there previously?

Just CL. They were right up there but threw it away after the SF win with La Decima on the minds.

They'll make hard work of it but win it imo. Very reliant on players in their mid 30's and a 21-year old

This one, along with maybe one or two more, feels like it has one final sting in the tail left before the window closes. I though their owner’s comments the other day were a plea to offer them a bit more money and he’s yours myself…

I’m not fussed either personally. 

Edited by HTT II

We need a CB in without a doubt. It won't be easy and we'll be paying over the odds for him but clearly DG is someone the club really want. I just hope they aren't so determined that we miss out on getting a CB in entirely.

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

After Monchi’s interview it would seem crazy to turn around and sell. Unless they have a ready made replacement

Monchi sounds like a blagger, hard to take anything he says seriously tbh.