More transfer rumours

midds

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Sangare looks a serious unit, I was personally hoping we’d go for Haidara but they seem pretty similar in terms of style. Sangare apparently has this release clause which would make it a cheaper and an easier deal to do.

If we can’t get Diaby I see no reason not to go for Paqueta, unless Eriksen is a possibility. We’d still have St Max, Almiron, Joelinton, and Anderson for the wide areas. 

Ideally in terms of options going forward I’d love to see Antony and Eriksen signed. We’d have our right sided forward and another creative midfielder.

Pacqueta can play right across that line and up front. A middle 3 of Joe, Bruno and Eriksen with Wilson, Maxi and Pacqueta ahead would be frightening.

Edited by madras

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

No way that is good enough for the wide areas, a RW is much more important signing than a CM

What happens if Bruno gets crocked are you as confident in our midfield then ? Personally i want both another CM and a right winger, but we have to accept we might not have all bases covered by the end of the window.

15 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Paqueta if he comes should either play as a #10/AMC or as one of a three in the centre. 

or out wide if need be, or as withdrawn striker away from home. 

15 minutes ago, madras said:

Pacqueta can play right across that line and up front. A middle 3 of Joe, Bruno and Eriksen with Wilson, Maxi and Pacqueta ahead would be frightening.

Aye, Paqueta wouldn’t be your stereotypical speed merchant wide right, but he’d offer another type of threat in that line up. 

Feels like people overrate our midfield while also underrating the importance of this area of the pitch. Don’t get me wrong, we definitely need a RW but imo sorting the central midfield out is equally important.  Despite BG coming in there’s still a lot that we lack in there. Especially if we are looking to control games more and have more possession. Say Willock for example, I think when In form he’s pretty good. But he’s mostly suited for a team that plays more on the counter. He’s much better in transition running into space than he is with the ball at his feet trying to retain possession when we already are up there in the last third.  Like someone said take Bruno away and yeah…

I’m pretty certain we will sign another central midfielder of some sort, I’m just not sure if it’s a defensively strong one or if it’s maybe a physical box to box who’s very good in possession. Maybe someone like Paqueta, Fofana or Sangare. These three are probably the types we could be looking at, with all of them offering something different. As much as I’d love Paqueta, and if I had to pick one then I would say Fofana easily. When taking the current players we have into consideration. 

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Feels like people overrate our midfield while also underrating the importance of this area of the pitch. Don’t get me wrong, we definitely need a RW but imo sorting the central midfield out is equally important.  Despite BG coming in there’s still a lot that we lack in there. Especially if we are looking to control games more and have more possession. Say Willock for example, I think when In form he’s pretty good. But he’s mostly suited for a team that plays more on the counter. He’s much better in transition running into space than he is with the ball at his feet trying to retain possession when we already are up there in the last third.  Like someone said take Bruno away and yeah…

I’m pretty certain we will sign another central midfielder of some sort, I’m just not sure if it’s a defensively strong one or if it’s maybe a physical box to box who’s very good in possession. Maybe someone like Paqueta, Fofana or Sangare. These three are probably the types we could be looking at, with all of them offering something different. As much as I’d love Paqueta, and if I had to pick one then I would say Fofana easily. When taking the current players we have into consideration. 

Our possession stats show that we still need at least one midfielder. We struggled to get over 40% in most games.

We definitely need another DM and a #10/creative/flair AM if we want to step up a level and compete. Willock and Longstaff are good depth. Shelvey probably leaves if we get 2, arguably he creates more than the former two but is more deficient all round. 

Edited by toontownman

24 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

What happens if Bruno gets crocked are you as confident in our midfield then ? Personally i want both another CM and a right winger, but we have to accept we might not have all bases covered by the end of the window.

No don’t get me wrong we need a CM as well but RW has to be a priority. If we go in to next season with either Almiron or Fraser as our main RW then we have had a poor window imo

4 minutes ago, Ikon said:

A lot depends on where Howe sees Bruno playing long term aswell, is he our holding player or more advanced ? I thought Longstaff did really well last couple of games and we looked much better without Shelvey. However, if Bruno plays advanced we definitely need another genuine CM to avoid the risk of having to revert back to Shelvey due to an injury. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

No don’t get me wrong we need a CM as well but RW has to be a priority. If we go in to next season with either Almiron or Fraser as our main RW then we have had a poor window imo

Fair enough I’d also be happier with a RW aswell, I suppose it all boils down to how they can juggle the finances. If Howe had his way he’d probably want both aswell.

I'd be shocked if CM was seen as a priority TBH.

I think we will sign 1 midfielder and I don't think it will be Paqueta because we will concentrate the bulk of our budget on other areas.

Eriksen is an obvious choice but more likely someone very young and raw in the Ekitike mould. We've been linked with a few young midfielders on the continent and that's where I'd put my money.

The only way this changes IMO, is if someone comes in for Joe Willock, then we might go again in midfield.

Guest HTT II

We need a proper DCM and a RW or forward type playmaker ideally. I’d be happy with one of them for now, I’d say a DCM is more of a priority though (in midfield) because I believe Bruno can be our more forward facing playmaker. The biggest priority however out of all the positions is a fast, powerful ball playing CB so we can play higher up and start to try and become more possession based. 

If we ended the window with this line up I’d be happy. If we get Paqueta I don’t see us getting a Diaby level RW, but think this would be a hard team to beat with some serious football intelligence in Bruno and Paquetta to break teams down. Possibly a lack of pace wide right would be a worry, but with Sangare in midfield, Trippier would be free to overlap with Paqueta. We’d also have Ekitike, Almiron, Fraser and Anderson to exploit space later in games. Get rid of Lascelles, Murphy, Clark and maybe bring in Hickey as extra cover at fullback, he can play both sides and I think we’d be set to give it a real good go next season. I’m also working on the assumption that Ekitike is the CF signing, though a more accomplished back up to Wilson would clearly be preferable.

Dubravka

Trippier-Ibanez-Botman-Targett

Bruno-Sangare-Joelinton

Paqueta                Wilson             St Max

Edited by Whitley mag

Just now, Whitley mag said:

If we ended the window with this line up I’d be happy. If we get Paqueta I don’t see us getting a Diaby level RW, but think this would be a hard team to beat with some serious football intelligence in Bruno and Paquetta to break teams down. Possibly a lack of pace wide right would be a worry, but with Sangare in midfield, Trippier would be free to overlap with Paqueta. We’d also have Ekitike, Almiron, Fraser and Anderson to exploit space

later in games. Get rid of Lascelles, Murphy, Clark and maybe bring in Hickey as extra cover at fullback, he can play both sides and I think we’d be set to give it a real good go next season. I’m also working on the assumption that Ekitike is the CF signing, though a more accomplished back up to Wilson would clearly be preferable.

Dubravka

Bruno-Sangare-Joelinton

Happy? I’d wank myself red raw.

18 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

If we ended the window with this line up I’d be happy. If we get Paqueta I don’t see us getting a Diaby level RW, but think this would be a hard team to beat with some serious football intelligence in Bruno and Paquetta to break teams down. Possibly a lack of pace wide right would be a worry, but with Sangare in midfield, Trippier would be free to overlap with Paqueta. We’d also have Ekitike, Almiron, Fraser and Anderson to exploit space later in games. Get rid of Lascelles, Murphy, Clark and maybe bring in Hickey as extra cover at fullback, he can play both sides and I think we’d be set to give it a real good go next season. I’m also working on the assumption that Ekitike is the CF signing, though a more accomplished back up to Wilson would clearly be preferable.

Dubravka

Bruno-Sangare-Joelinton

Phworrrrrr

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

We definitely need another DM and a #10/creative/flair AM if we want to step up a level and compete. Willock and Longstaff are good depth. Shelvey probably leaves if we get 2, arguably he creates more than the former two but is more deficient all round. 

Don’t forget Joelinton. I know how folks love him here, but he isn’t exactly known for his technical capabilities that help dictate play. Just look at how it’s difficult to sign excellent players just because we don’t play in CL. If we want to reach the top 5 in the next couple of years (new UEFA structure allows for 5 teams from EPL to qualify to CL), then we should look for better than Joe to be quite frank. 

The team lacks goals, so a RW/RF who can contribute 10+ a season is essential if the team Is to push on. Given the lack of cover for ASM and Wilson another player who can play across the front 3 and carries a goal threat is also needed to provide competition and mean there’s some cover. 

ekitike is presumably one of these players.

The possession stats have been dire but a lot of that has been down to the fullbacks being so poor, esp LB - something that has already been dealt with.

I think the plan will be LB (done), RF and CF plus one of either CB or CM this summer. If Botman signs it’s the CB.

however, that said, if the club feel there’s a bargain or a player with potential to be at the club for 5 years in any position available at a good price they will take the opportunity. I think that’s what the Henderson bid was about - not especially after a goalkeeper but for 25m felt worthwhile. As it couldn’t be done at the right price the club have walked away and may not look at GK for another year. 

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Why do people keep putting Paqueta RW? Not being arsey, just don't understand when from what I've seen he doesn't play there.

He did play right mid a couple of times last season and it fits with the 4-3-3 we've played recently. Wouldn't have to play him as an orthodox line hugging winger mind.

23 minutes ago, Nine said:

I think in terms of signing out and out starters we are probably looking at 3 more max now (after Targett). CB, RW  and CM most likely. 

Don't see them not signing a forward.